Page 104 of 192 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1916

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 104

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Pearl Jam is awesome. Great song. I get what you mean about wondering if it's a good or bad thing. I figure if it gets you thinking one way or the other it's done its work.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    So I've been absent from my journal for a little while. As it turns out, there has been a bit of an upheaval in my life. I have recently found myself without a job. I find myself a victim of local politics. I've actually been out of work for over little while now, but had been all but promised by the powers that be that it was only a temporary situation. I believed them, and just figured I'd weather the storm in the short term and all would be back on track long term. Well, the temporary situation is now a permanent situation. As I see it, politics is nothing more than a chess game and I am nothing more than a lowly pawn. When the other side takes a pawn they feel good because they took a piece from the other side. Your own side says "Eh...it's just a pawn. No big deal." So needless to say, I have been a little preoccupied lately.

Here's the strange thing, I don't care that much about not being a cop anymore. The job had kind of lost it's magic for me anyway. A while back I had expressed feelings of wanting to change. The thing that was stopping me was the security of a steady paycheck and benefits. Of course right now I'm not thinking about pursuing any dreams, but just getting any job out there to have some money coming in. The sad thing is, I don't have a lot of skills that are very marketable in the private sector, but I'm looking to see where I might fit in. The law enforcement thing just isn't happening right now, and as my wife said, "they did it to you once, do you want to see if they'll do it again?" Private security doesn't normally pay that well. There is the government security side like Canio, but he sounds like he has some rank and seniority and still gets hinted to that his job could be on the bubble(Canio, I apologize if I have that wrong). And I hate to say it, but I am kind of looking forward to finding a job where I go in, do my 8 hours, and go home. No stress or having to think about work all the time. The never really being off duty. The only stress I feel now is that if i don't find a job that pays fairly well I don't know how I will be able to keep the house. I won't throw out any numbers, but I was doing pretty good salary wise, and we were living at that pay level. Our mortgage was based on my making as much as I did. If in the next few months, if I can't find a job that is at least close in pay, We may just pack it up. The in-laws have already offered to have us come up to West Virginia with them. They have a large house on 20 acres in the country about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. They have expressed that they are getting older and could actually use the help there. I think this may be what we need to do. The kids would love to live up there with grandma and get to see the seasons change. I hate the city life anyway. I always say that I love South Florida the place, but I absolutely hate everyone that lives here.

So maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Right now it absolutely sucks ass, but maybe in the long run it will be the best thing for me and my family. Maybe now there isn't any reason not to pursue all the things I want to. I could start bitching and crying, saying how unfair it all is, and why me, but that won't change it and it won't do anything to help the situation. I know it's a cliche, but I'll just take it one day at a time. I will do whatever I need to do for my family. So i may not be on here as much as before for a while, but I'll check in from time to time and see what everyone is up to.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Dave, I am very sorry this is the case. Whether you were loving the job or not, it sounded as if you were very good at it. Given your progress primally, I imagine you were quite the ass kicker, not to mention you are a decent guy, which is often more important in a police officer.

It sounds like the deal with your in-laws is a good one. Not perfect perhaps but country living has its charms and kids-grandparent time is great. I'm with you on S. FL. The people blow. It's why I prefer the panhandle/N. Central - more country, less crap. Perhaps W. Virginia is the change you need to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Private security doesn't normally pay that well. There is the government security side like Canio, but he sounds like he has some rank and seniority and still gets hinted to that his job could be on the bubble(Canio, I apologize if I have that wrong).
    No, you are completely correct. I do have rank, but the writing on the wall is that we as a whole, all the Dept of the Army Guards, may be out come next fiscal year. The wars are shutting down, soldiers are coming home, so why pay civilians to do what soldiers can do? No one has said so officially, but the rumors are there. Staffing cut by 30%, now we are at 40% below maximum manning and they haven't hired anyone since last June. We are told everything from "Oh, we are looking to fill the spots" to "There is a hiring freeze" to "Oh, they are up at higher command" but the bottom line is we are getting little information and no new hires. So in about 6 months I may be in the same boat, only headed to the FL Panhandle instead of W. Virginia.

If you are looking for work, you may want to look into customs or airport police. Customs is federal and they are beefing up right now. It takes a year or so to get on (time you can spend in W. Virginia) and the pay may be less than what you get now but with your experience you could probably get on at the GS/L 7 or 9 Level ($40-50k). It is not thrilling work but 8 hours at a check point and home is not bad. Border Patrol is another option but that is much more long hours, out in the field, getting rocks thrown at you bs. I saw an airport job recently which paid about $17 an hour. Probably less than you make now, but how hard do airport police work? (No disrespect to them but I do not imagine it is as difficult as working the street.)

Check out Indeed.com and usajobs (federal job site). Customs and border patrol are from their own sites if I remember correctly.

Bottom line, good luck bro. Anything I can do to help let me know.
    Last edited by canio6; 05-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Thanks Canio. I'll look into some of those. $17 an hour at the airport ain't bad. Unfortunately down here airport security jobs start at about $12(but I'll still be putting in for it). It's all run by private companies. I hope the Army doesn't dick you all over. They should at least try to set you all up with other federal employment, or at least give you a severance package to hold you until you find something else. But the truth is I'm ready to just move into the country raise chickens or something.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Thanks Canio. I'll look into some of those. $17 an hour at the airport ain't bad. Unfortunately down here airport security jobs start at about $12(but I'll still be putting in for it). It's all run by private companies. I hope the Army doesn't dick you all over. They should at least try to set you all up with other federal employment, or at least give you a severance package to hold you until you find something else. But the truth is I'm ready to just move into the country raise chickens or something.

The $17/hour was airport police in the FL panhandle. I know the airport here also has it's own police (in addition to security), what the difference is in duties I am unsure, but it is something to check out if you are so inclined. That said, moving to the country to raise chickens sounds pretty damned good. Need a roommate?

As for the army, we shall see. Needless to say I am applying for every other federal job I can find that I qualify for right now.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Skink, I am sorry you are having such a rough time right now. My prayers are with you.

Thanks Sabine, I appreciate the thoughts.

About 2 weeks ago the stress finally got the better of me and i got full blown sick with an upper respiratory infection. The infection part was gone in about a week, but I still can't shake the congestion. The cough is a pain the ass waking me up at night, but what I think bugs me more is me left ear is all clogged up.

I have kept my food intake pretty clean with all that is going on. I have been tempted to fall back into some old comfort eating, but have resisted. I may have lost control of some aspects of my life right now, but this is something I can control. It feels good to take control of what I can. The diet has been pretty clean, but has shifted to more of a budget paleo version. No more rib-eyes for a while. It's going to be a lot more ground beef and whatever cheap cuts I can find on sale. The grass fed and organic part will also be put on the back burner. If we do end up moving with the in-laws I have been researching the area. I found a farm that is about a half hour to 45 minutes away that does grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken, eggs, and pork. They listed their ground beef at $3.50 a lb. That is cheaper than I get conventional grocery store ground beef now.

I haven't worked out in over 2 weeks now, mainly because of the whole getting sick thing. My daily activities mainly consist of taking the dog for an hour or so walk every day and just doing shit around the house. I really want to get back at it, but I just don't feel up to it until I can get rid of the congestion.

Well, I've sent out like 20 or so resumes so far, but not a lot of responses yet. I do have one interview scheduled for this week to work in loss prevention. They don't list what their pay is, but I don't imagine it would be very much. But right now beggars can't be choosers. I'll take what I can get and keep looking for better. I just need something coming in to pay the utility and grocery bills and maybe get some medical benefits for the kids.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You should be really proud of yourself that you have kept eating primally while going through all this stress. For so many of us, that is the first thing to go. As for not exercising while you are sick- seems like just plain old common sense to me. Rest up, and when you are healthy again, you'll be raring to go!

Clean eating in a time like this is something to be proud of. I know I would have dived headfirst into a box of Krispy Kremes. Hopefully some bites come back on your resumes shortly.

William251 is offline Junior Member
    3 VERY LARGE cups of coffee today and I still feel like I could use a nap. I REALLY need to start sleeping better.