Page 102 of 196 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1958

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 102

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Nice, Saoirse. I hear ya. Kids need to do their own thing. Shit, I had a room in our old house in Cold Lake that my dad called the LEGO room. It just had buckets of LEGO. Any time I'd complain (and it was cold enough for there to be 10' of ice driven up on the shore from the lake), my dad would go down and say, "What can you make?"

Best thing ever. I loved being a kid. It was either LEGO time, watching old '50s and '60s shows (Lone Ranger I loved) with my dad, or "Go out and play and don't come home until it's dark out." Most of our generation have so badly fucked up our kids by giving them passive entertainment. Congrats to you for pushing them to create their own fun.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Patrick: Yeah, I don't sweat the fasting/workout thing too much. It actually works either way. I just find I like the way I feel fasted. It's not worth losing sleep over. Regimented, but flexible. Your stair workout sounds pretty good. Back when I wrestled running stairs and all the other stuff we did on them was a big thing. Those are some killer workouts. "Mocked by his lil' girls." That's funny stuff, but I doubt that.

Saoirse: Your kids are better off. We limit how much time and what is watched. The better imagination the kids have the more they excel in other areas. My oldest is getting tested for the gifted program and it isn't from watching Hanna Montana.
    Last edited by skink531; 04-26-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I actually need to calm the fuck down when it comes to thinking about food/fasting/working out/timing. I always try to regiment it, but fuck that noise.
    i did, and then i gained fat. but i'm sure ymmv, you're more on top of things to start than i am.

On the plus side, my workouts lately have consisted off hitting the auxiliary stairway and doing 10 or 12 flights of stairs, pausing every other flight to do "reverse pyramid" push-ups; so start with 8, then 7, then 6, etc. Man that feels good. I also have to say that being one of the only straight guys in a mostly-female/-gay workplace is awesome. Very relaxed and people didn't stop telling me how good I looked when I went back to work there a few weeks ago.
    nice.

As for the zumba and your friend, to each their own. If it's working for her, fantastic. I don't think we stop enough to think "Fuck fitness. Is so-and-so having fun? Yeah? Good. Rock the fuck on."
    so you're catching my snarkiness, eh? i think zumba is stupid, but whatever works for others. actually what you're catching is cattiness because i strongly dislike this particular twit. then there's her overweight vegan friend who is now a zumba instructor, and is also satan incarnate (and not in a sexy-little-devil way either).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Nice, Saoirse. I hear ya. Kids need to do their own thing. Shit, I had a room in our old house in Cold Lake that my dad called the LEGO room. It just had buckets of LEGO. Any time I'd complain (and it was cold enough for there to be 10' of ice driven up on the shore from the lake), my dad would go down and say, "What can you make?"

Best thing ever. I loved being a kid. It was either LEGO time, watching old '50s and '60s shows (Lone Ranger I loved) with my dad, or "Go out and play and don't come home until it's dark out." Most of our generation have so badly fucked up our kids by giving them passive entertainment. Congrats to you for pushing them to create their own fun.
    i love legos, but they are so freaking expensive. kids have a fairly large tupperware bin of them, and an entire toyroom full of toys, board games, etc. once in a while when they're whining, i threaten to sell all the toys and buy a pool table. someday maybe they won't see that as a threat.

skink- witty cartoon.
    my son, sadly, is not being tested for the gifted program. we've just got him caught up to his grade level. hurts my silly parenting ego, but whatever, not going to impose that on him (not saying you are doing that). he's just leaving the second grade, there's plenty of time for him to get ahead. and if he doesn't, oh well. congrats on yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    skink- witty cartoon.
    my son, sadly, is not being tested for the gifted program. we've just got him caught up to his grade level. hurts my silly parenting ego, but whatever, not going to impose that on him (not saying you are doing that). he's just leaving the second grade, there's plenty of time for him to get ahead. and if he doesn't, oh well. congrats on yours!
    I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. I wasn't trying to imply that my parenting skills are the reason she's being tested for the gifted program. My only thoughts were that not getting kids to use their imagination and sitting in front of the tv for 10 hours a day would stifle any potential they may have.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    no, not at all. my mama ego has been through the wringer this year, so it's no longer touchy. it is, in part because of your parenting choices that your kiddo is seen as gifted, just as it is, in part, because of my parenting choices that my son isn't. it has been a delicate dance for me this year, how hard should a parent push their kid to excel? i hadn't been pushing at all, which can be kind of an issue if the kid is being home schooled. he's not anymore, and i think this is a better fit for us. his teachers are pushing him a little, and he eagerly accepts the challenge from them. anyway, no toes stepped on, i'm sincerely happy for you.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    so you're catching my snarkiness, eh? i think zumba is stupid, but whatever works for others. actually what you're catching is cattiness because i strongly dislike this particular twit. then there's her overweight vegan friend who is now a zumba instructor, and is also satan incarnate (and not in a sexy-little-devil way either).
    Definitely catching it. Also, I hope my post didn't come off as saying you shouldn't judge them or whatever. I think it's silly and a waste of... what? 45 minutes? That's insane.

That Satan incarnate vegan sounds like someone to avoid.

... unless you're driving.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    That cartoon was great! Seriously made my day!

I can't fast at all. Whenever I try to fast, I end up pigging out on my next meal. I make sure to always eat when hungry. I'm sort of thinking of trying the small meal thing soon.

In regards to "gifted" programs, a lot of them of them are bs. I know of kids that are in gifted programs that are more stressed then other kids and their grades drop. Tristan's been asked to join but we agreed that it would be best for her to stay in the classroom and focus on her grades and have fun as a kid. Tristan is up for advanced classes for 6th grade in language arts and math. I'm ok with that because that'll challenge her enough without adding stress.
    Georgette

Tonight i was feeling worn out and just needed a break. I gave in and went along with everyone else and we all had pizza. I ate way too much. Makes me think there is definitely something to that food palatability and food reward stuff. Pizza is highly palatable and I can see there must be some reward mechanism going on in the brain in that I was stuffed but kept eating anyway. That didn't happen this morning when I had a breakfast of primal food. When I was full I left some on the plate.

So, here is the aftermath. I feel bloated. My stomach is distended. I feel very thirsty, but I am too full to drink more water. Both my knees and my right elbow now ache. Oh, and I feel both mentally and physically sluggish. I think I need to do this once in a while to remind myself why I don't want to do this very often.

Oh. one more thing. I have always had tinnitus, but now it is louder than normal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Was hoping to some kind of workout in today. It is pouring down rain like 10 motherfuckers. Back yard is a lake, and the patio is pretty wet from the rain splashing in so it's pretty slippery. What to do that won't result in slipping and getting hurt? maybe a run in the rain? The VFF's are already wet, so it's not like that's an issue. Yesterday I was taking the dog for a walk when the sky opened up and swallowed us. Had to go through some spots of ankle deep water to get home. I don't mind getting wet except my phone was in my pocket and not in anything remotely water resistant, and my dog actually hates getting rained on. Playing in the kiddie pool or getting sprayed with a hose she loves, but rain makes her miserable for some reason. OK, so maybe a 3 mile run today with push-ups at each half mile point. Sounds like a plan.