Page 101 of 196 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1952

Thread: Skink's Primal Journal page 101

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wanna do Blues'ercize: wear an awesome suit (no tie), drink good Scotch and tear some good tunes out of an old instrument in a smoky, cosy, mood-lit little café someplace.

I think I need a trip to Montreal soon.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    it's just the predecessor to zumba.

patrick- sounds like fun.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I wanna do Blues'ercize: wear an awesome suit (no tie), drink good Scotch and tear some good tunes out of an old instrument in a smoky, cosy, mood-lit little café someplace.

I think I need a trip to Montreal soon.
    Now that is a class I would sign up for.

I hate to say it, but I have heard of Zumba but had no idea what it was. I had to google it and look at some videos. I only watched a few, but from what I saw it was...meh. One of them the instructor was saying they were really working their core and to use your hips as the weight you were lifting. They need to try a Turkish Get-up and find out what a core workout is.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

yeah, one of the ladies i know who is totally into zumba told me that it *is* strength training because you use your arms a lot. as in, punching your arms out at the sides multiple times. "sometimes we even use [4 lb] weights." i have to hand it to her, though. she's really persistent and has gotten fairly good results by not eating a ton of crap and doing zumba for several hours per week. i have a feeling that the "not eating a ton of crap" part was key.

Today's workout:

Double KB Clean and Press, 5 x 10
    Chin-ups, 10-10-10-7
    Push-ups, 25-25-20-15
    Dumbbell Rows, 3 x 10
    Split Squats w/KB's, 2 x 10
    Bulgarian bag Front Squats, 2 x 20

I had to not do my fast on workout days plan today. I was expecting to have a much busier day than I did, so I ate breakfast this morning not thinking I would have much time for anything later in the day. As it turned out, it wasn't as bad as I thought so I got my workout in. Had 3 eggs in the morning and then it was about 8 hours until my workout, so it was sort of a semi-fast again. A funny thing I noticed is that before I started I was feeling pretty hungry, but after the workout I didn't want to eat anymore. Actually waited about another 2 hours before I ate.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    yeah, one of the ladies i know who is totally into zumba told me that it *is* strength training because you use your arms a lot. as in, punching your arms out at the sides multiple times. "sometimes we even use [4 lb] weights." i have to hand it to her, though. she's really persistent and has gotten fairly good results by not eating a ton of crap and doing zumba for several hours per week. i have a feeling that the "not eating a ton of crap" part was key.
    It is moving and doing something, so it isn't totally bad. But there are as lot better things to do for those results. I think too much of it would fit into the chronic cardio category.

yeah. she's more persistent than i am, so i've got to hand that to her. and she sometimes enjoys it.

There is a problem with kids today. Our oldest's best friend is supposed to have a sleep-over here on Saturday, but now she isn't sure if she wants to come. Why, you may ask? Because she's afraid we don't watch enough TELEVISION! The last few times she's been over here to play the TV has been off. 1) we don't let our kids watch just anything. 2) Especially when your friends are over it is better to go and play, and maybe even use your imagination. It seems like most kids can't use their imagination, and couldn't make up a game to play to save their lives. We had to tell her mother that no, we will have the TV on and have lots of movies to watch. we even have popcorn to go with the movies(not primal I know, but it makes kids happy). This kid actually tells my daughter she has a TV in her room and sleeps with it on all night. Mean while, my daughter has spent the day hand making puppets to have a puppet show.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I actually need to calm the fuck down when it comes to thinking about food/fasting/working out/timing. I always try to regiment it, but fuck that noise. Our ancestors ate when they could and otherwise carried on with what they had to do when they had to do it. While I can appreciate the need to min/max (c'mon... no D&D'ers here?), I personally need to just relax when it comes to working out.

On the plus side, my workouts lately have consisted off hitting the auxiliary stairway and doing 10 or 12 flights of stairs, pausing every other flight to do "reverse pyramid" push-ups; so start with 8, then 7, then 6, etc. Man that feels good. I also have to say that being one of the only straight guys in a mostly-female/-gay workplace is awesome. Very relaxed and people didn't stop telling me how good I looked when I went back to work there a few weeks ago.

As for the zumba and your friend, to each their own. If it's working for her, fantastic. I don't think we stop enough to think "Fuck fitness. Is so-and-so having fun? Yeah? Good. Rock the fuck on."

That said, I still envy Dave his insane workouts. I think they'd kill me, but one of these days I'll get my Canuck butt down there and see for myself. I'm sure my tombstone will read: "Destroyed by a Primal God. Mocked by his lil' girls."
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

kids expect to be entertained. bugs the crap out of me. we watch a friend's 5yo on a weekly basis, and he's always whining about boredom. we don't have a TV, but the kids play games and watch stuff on a laptop, and this is usually the source of the whining: "when can i have a turn??" my kids have learned that it doesn't pay to gripe to mama about boredom. i'll give them a few suggestions for activities, and then if they're still whining then i send them off to their room.