Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone suffer from SAD? page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Unhappy Anyone suffer from SAD?

Primal Fuel
    And, obviously, I don't mean Standard American Diet... . I'm REALLY struggling at the moment; I did have a supplement (NOW Foods Mood Enhancer or something it was called) which contained SJW 450mg per dose (I believe the dose was 2 caps - I've chucked the empty bottle now).

Now I've often found that SJW makes me rather drowsy (not that I give a damn about that at the moment - the weather being as it is (feckin' freezing, gale force winds and peeing it down!) but I don't want to be in a permanent state of semi-torpor!)

So any suggestions...?! Now, I don't have a GP at the moment (but, even if I did, I'd certainly NOT be asking for ADs (not that anyone would script them for me - not with my past history!)). The only benefit would be money off-a 'lightbox' (which I can't afford to buy).

Right now I wish I was a bear; I don't give a damn about xmas (in fact, I HATE it - and this year's gonna be worse than usual. We're not going to Dorset for a start...)) - I'd quite happily go to sleep at the autumnal equinox and wake up at the vernal.

But, being as I am not a bear (though I am fairly grizzly) - any help? I'm taking vit D (at what I would term a 'megadose' (10,000UI x 3 daily) but it's doing bugger all (I'm taking Dr.'s Best 5,000UI - I looked at the bottle this morning and noticed that it was derived from soybean oil! Not exactly happy about that). I take Suntheanine, but even that's stopped working.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know - or I'm gonna end up incarcerated again (and I don't even want to contemplate thinking about that - because psychiatric prisons are - well, I don't call them that for no reason...)

Thank you

Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sarah,

I have this problem too. I think you should take either SJW or Sam-e (I am trying Sam-e this time) plus keep up with your D3, and take ~3gm fish oil per day. Cillikat recommended that I also take B-6 and magnesium.

Besides supplements, make sure you get some exercise most days (30-60 minutes). It really helps. If you can go outside for a walk, you can kill 2 birds with one stone--the light hitting your eyes in addition to the exercise is a good therapy for SAD. When walking outside, don't obscure your eyes with glasses as you want the light to enter your eyes.

Some people have success using a light box in the morning for 30 minutes. I have one but rarely use it...might get it out again.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    write some poems

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Just curious. If you don't like the cold and feel the need to stay inside, how would just looking out a window work?

Make sure it is day and not night, of course.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I have found that both Vitamin D and fish oil do precisely nothing. I recommend moving to Florida.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I have found that both Vitamin D and fish oil do precisely nothing. I recommend moving to Florida.
    LOL, I seriously consider moving back to Ft Lauderdale every time winter comes around up here. *sigh* I actually like winter and I am not affected by SAD as much as when I lived in Maine (many years ago). I try to keep *all* of my window shades wide open during daylight hours and get outside even when it's cold. The sun brightens your mood regardless of the temperature. Ofcourse eating the proper diet is helpful too.
    Still, nothing like relaxing on the sandy beach in 80 degree sunny weather in January and Ferbruary

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I've always suffered this, but I'm optimistic in that my new found lifestyle, supplements, and attitude in general will help with this. Yes, this sounds corny, but I've found that a lot of the physical things I suffered were worsened by my negativity. We shall see...
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Get outside as much as you can on weekends when you can be out in the daylight...even if it's just driving around.

Look into purchasing a Dawn Simulator for waking up. I have one. I love it. The complete standalone units are absurdly expensive but I have one that you plug your own light into...it's a little more reasonable.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Jason,

I used to - but you DO NOT want to read my poetry; you ever listened to The Manic Street Preachers, Pink Floyd or Leonard Cohen? They're cheery, cheeky chappies compared to me when I'm in the depths of despair...

I stopped when I realised it was only compounding the suicidal ideations to the point where I was actually acting on what I was writing.

Richie Edwards (once principal lyricist of the Manics; now missing, presumed to have jumped from the Clifton Suspension Bridge in '95) carved 4REAL into his arm after a gig at London's Astoria. I have 'PURE EVIL' carved into my left arm (thankfully I didn't go too deep, so it's barely visible now).

You REALLY don't wanna know how fucked up I really am.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Or Nerja.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast