Thread: flour: arrowroot vs wheat page

Vicki Lynn is offline Member

Question flour: arrowroot vs wheat

Primal Fuel
    I am a bit confused.
    I have had no wheat flour for 4 months but I do use arrowroot flour along with almond flour to make very good bread. I just compared arrowroot to wheat on fitday and am dismayed to see the results.

1 cup arrowroot = 112.8 of carbs & 457 calories
    1 cup white wheat = 95.4 carbs and 544 calories
    Now, if a carb is a carb, why am I going to all this trouble to make my own bread?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think one of the central premises of primal is that a carb ISN'T a carb. There are carbs that are awesome for you, carbs that are kinda neutral, and carbs that are really not good for you. Nothing to do with calories, everything to do with insulin response and chemicals in the not-good-for-you carbs. Wheat is seen as a bad carb (along with all grains) because of chemicals within it.

I think arrowroot is preferred because it isn't a grain.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    +1 to lizch

And why go through all the trouble to make bread? Personally, I only use arrowroot as a thickener. I've decided to just quit with Primal subs for CW food, including cookies. Just not worth it in the long run. But that's just my 2 cents.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Because a carb ISN'T just a carb or we'd all be eating wonder bread! I don't know anything about the specifics of arrowroot powder but the reason to not eat wheat goes beyond the carb or calorie count. But to really be primal? Ditch the bread. Or at least make it an occasional food rather than a staple. When you find "primal" substitutes for food we shouldn't eat it undermines a lot of the good it will do you. Just because a food fits the basic guidelines doesn't always mean it's good for you.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I have had no wheat flour for 4 months but I do use arrowroot flour along with almond flour to make very good bread.
    Now, if a carb is a carb, why am I going to all this trouble to make my own bread?[/QUOTE]

I would love to see your recipe for this bread! Any chance of you posting it?

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    +1 to lizch

And why go through all the trouble to make bread? Personally, I only use arrowroot as a thickener. I've decided to just quit with Primal subs for CW food, including cookies. Just not worth it in the long run. But that's just my 2 cents.
    +2; I should also add that arrowroot is useful as a PB thickener because you don't need to use very much of it, much less than flour or cornstarch. I am not really onboard with using cups of it in baked goods, though. If you must have bread, I would do one of these:

Flax bread (I use coconut oil as the fat): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117613991
    Coconut bread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-flour/
    MAYBE almond bread, like this: http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_on...d_ithisi_bread but I think that flax or coconut flour bread are better (much less omega-6)

Also, different people here seem to have different approaches to carbs. For example, I like to eat very low-carb and high-fat to minimize the insulin spike/blood sugar crash roller coaster and also to adapt my body to use fat as energy (more on that here). Other people like to be low-glycemic but don't care so much about being low-carb overall. Still others aren't so concerned about carbs insomuch as eating "real food" and will happily consume lots of raw honey and organic dates. Finally you have those who are concerned about lectins and gluten but have nothing against carbs in general.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe nobody has brought up gluten yet! arrowroot doesn't have any, wheat is chock full of it. nasty business. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gluten-celiac-disease/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/

For Breadsauce: I have always loved homemade heavy breads, not light weight ones so this recipe is to my liking. I have been tweaking it, for a while now and my next tweak will be to add an additional tablespoon of fat.
    This recipe makes 3 short or 2 better sized loaves. When making just 2 loaves, I sometime poke a potato nail in the center of the loaf to be sure that all parts are baked and no part is raw in the center.
    This bread does not rise much, but it is more moist than the other recipes I've tried and my problem is that I wan to eat too much of it.
    greased pans
    oven = 350 degrees
    I mix in this order:
    4.5 cups almond flour, blanched or not (make my own)
    2.25 cups arrowroot powder (Amazon, good price_
    .75 cup flax seed meal (from the feed store - only $25 for 50 pounds)
    1.5 teaspoon sea salt
    3 teaspoons baking soda
    1.5 teaspoon baking powder
    12 eggs or 2.25 cups of eggs (my hens lay many sizes so I must measure)
    1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil, melted
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    will tweak with additional oil or coconut oil next time
    The base of this recipe, I found on the Internet and have been slowly altering it to my satisfaction, so it is not exactly my creation.[/B]

Forgot: I bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pans for another 15 minutes.