Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body weight exercises page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Body weight exercises

Primal Fuel
    Hello. I'm a 14 year old girl, and was wondering if anybody could point me towards some good, functional body weight exercises I could start with. Obviously there are pull ups and push ups, but I'd like to mix it up a bit, and with all the information out there, I don't really know what to go after. I've wanted to read 'The naked warrior', but I don't think my library has it, and I can't buy it. Could anybody some it up for me? I really wanted to check into it, but can't. ;(

Keep in mind that I have no equipment other than a pull-up bar, and cannot buy any stabilizer balls, or the like. Thanks for any help!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Lorelei is offline Junior Member
    I swear by tricep dips. All you need is a chair. I like to make a rule: if I want to watch tv, I have to do a few dips during each commercial break. It's a great way to sneak some activity into an otherwise sedentary activity

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Do-Triceps-Dips-1055754

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I own the Naked Warrior, and it does have some good exercises listed in it. Included are one legged pistols (squats using only only foot on the ground, with your other leg sticking out in front of you) push-ups where you vary the body angle to make them more challenging, single arm push-ups, dive bombers, etc. If you have only a pull-up bar, you've got a start. Another person mentioned biceps dips using a chair. Burpees are also good, as well as Hindu squats, back bridges, etc.

Another good book is "Be Your Own Gym" and "Combat Conditioning" or "Convict Conditioning" (a variation of what is called the prison workout)...your library may have these, and a lot can be found on the Internet for free as well.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Naked Warrior is overrated and not worth the money, at least in my opinion. There is a wealth of information out on the 'Net about BW exercise. We have a few members who specialize in BWE, including AlKavadlo and TimBell and cheapo... there are others.

But you say you want more exercises than pushups and pull-ups? Okay.
    - Quadrupedal movement (bear crawls, crab walking, etc.)
    - Squats and their variants (jumps, broad jumps, depth jumps, precision jumps, (assisted) pistol squats, (broad) jumping pistol squat (only for REALLY advanced trainees!!)... the list goes on)
    - Lunges (forward, backward, jumping, split squat [just a stationary lunge], etc.)
    - Pushups and all their myriad variations
    - Handstand (holds, pushups)
    - Other gymnastics moves/balances (planche, back/front lever, etc.)
    - BURPEES (and their variations)
    - Abdominal/core work (plank, side plank, 1-arm/leg plank, hanging knee/leg raises, L-sits, L-hangs, mountain climbers, etc.)

There's a LOT out there. You might consider checking out sites like ZombieFit.org, SimpleFit.org, as well as AlKavadlo.com and TimBell's site (can't remember it... I know it has JungleFit and blogspot in there)... beastskills.com is great.

As far as books are concerned, give Building the Gymnastic Body a look (doubt it's in any library though). You may also enjoy www.bodyrock.tv.

But I will say this... doing triceps dips like in the fitsugar link is a recipe for shoulder issues. Better off doing standard parallel bar dips... A LOT better off. Even close-grip pushups (hands only shoulder width apart) are better.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

stuffguru is offline Member
    I found out about The Naked warrior earlier today and found it on a torrent. now you don't have to waste your money.
    Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Look for a book called "you are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. There are some really good workouts in there.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-O.../dp/0971407614

I use his workouts with athletes I train for triathlon all the way up to Ironman distance. nobody has yet to tell me they were easy!

Dave

Bodhi is offline Senior Member

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Just go to youtube and punch in "bodyweight exercises". Tons and tons of great stuff. (Mixed in with time wasters.)

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I think pushups are wonderful and they're free. There are tons of varieties depending on what area you hoping to build. My favorites are military (works triceps like crazy) and pike (works upper shoulders). As you get stronger, you can go up on your toes (boy-pushups) then move to decline pushups (put your feet on a chair so that your body is declined). Then, if you're really masochistic, you can start doing plyo-pushups where you push your entire body off the ground during the pushup.

Also love plank moves for total body - especially abs. T-Stands are also great.

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast