Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made coconut milk "beverage" page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

A couple of weeks ago I posted my generally favorable experience with So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage. It was obviously diluted coconut milk with a bunch of cheap vitamins thrown in and emulsifier. Unsweetened, it was decent stuff. I liked it better with just the tiniest bit of stevia in it, it became more like regular milk's lactose in taste bud action.

Think of it as coconut milk milk!

So, I tried making my own. First, 365 CM, it already has emulsifier in it. Four ounces and then top off with water to make a quart. Well, kinda watery. Now it gets weird: So I added a bit of xanthan gum and it virtually would not dissolve! Shook the bottle like crazy, let it sit overnight. A very slight thickening did take place after all that. Still left lumps. BTW, the thickening sort of fools the brain into believing there is more "stuff" in the liquid.

Today I tried Thai Kitchen because it seems to have a LOT of emulsifier in it. If you don't shake the can vigorously for fifteen seconds, it will come out - sort of - in lumps! Anyway, perfecto mundo. Quite drinkable the way it is. Of course there is the stevia option, too.

An 8 ounce glass will have only 60 calories! You can, of course, play around with dilutions to your liking.

Since the WF beverage costs $4, and this cost about sixty cents, so sorry So Delicious!

maba is offline Senior Member

Or you can cook some banana in coconut milk. Add ground cardamom and saffron and enjoy it warm.

I think that qualifies as a thread jacking, maba.....

OTB, I realized that as soon as I posted that. Your talk of CM + stevia reminded me of a CM-based dessert and I didn't think twice before posting. My apologies.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

OTB, I remeber a thread about xanthan gum here before. I think you were asking what Mark's take on it was. Unfortunately, I don't remember reading his answer. Is it pretty acceptable?

Thanks for the apology, maba!

I don't think Mark weighs in on gums, the thickener variety. They have no nutritional consequences and often substitute for sugar or HFCS. I'm not an expert on food gums, but most of them seem to be polysacchirides, (sp!) just like a lot of things in nature. In fact guar gum and agar and carrageenan are all natural poly...poly....uh, many sugars.

Some folks here had good suggestions on thickening mostly gravy with other foods besides flour or starch, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

I use the xanthan to make gravy and BBQ sauces, mostly.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

What about agar agar? I bought some the other day, but I haven't tried it for thickening yet.

Hijack, Hijack!!! Sheesh OTB, Thread-police much?

Oops, I better beware....I might get a ticket!!! :-P

What are polysaccharides anyway? I read the Wiki article and still don't know if it has any adverse affects. It isn't a starch then?

Achtung! You vill obey internet protocols!

It just struck me as strange for the first response to be so off topic.

No adverse effects unless you consume lots of them, like drinking a quart of aloe juice.

They're fine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast