Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Junebu8 page

junebu8 is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Primal Journal: Junebu8

About me: I'm a reformed cynic, and a born again enthusiast. I love people, especially when they're doing really human things like dancing, singing, flirting, and telling jokes. I like parties, flash mobs, concerts, board games, npr, parades, scifi, romantic movies with big dresses and weddings.

About my health: I have type II diabetes. I was diagnosed several years ago. I've been heavy since my mid teens. My weight topped out at 260 five years ago. I used to take insulin and metformin, but I hated it and it didn't always work. I had low carbed before, in a yo yo cycle. Two years ago I got really serious about diet, using south beach/primal philosophies. Today I weigh 198. I'm 5'3" so I still have a long way to go, but I don't use medications at all anymore for diabetes. My blood sugars are 'normal' now, which rocks my socks.

About my food: I eat meat, eggs, most veggies, a little dairy in the form of yogurt, cream, and butter (and only once in a great while, cheese). I eat nuts. Too many of them, most of the time I remember a post when Mark was talking about nuts and he was like, hey, it's nuts, it's not the basis of your diet... and I though, welllllll...not on a good day. Right now I've cut way back on nuts because I was using almond flour a lot and hit a major stall. I don't count anything. Not calories or fat or carbs. I just eat what I know works and try not to eat what doesn't work. When my weightloss slows down, I cut carbs.

About my exercise: Yeah, I mostly hate it. I was that chick who defiantly WALKED around the track in gym class, glaring at the teacher. I like to dance, preferably alone in the dark, or when everyone else is intoxicated and I'm not. Have you seen that episode of Seinfeld? You know, the one where Elaine dances? Yeah, it's like that, but imagine that Elaine is fat. Still tho, dancing is fun. Swimming is also fun, but where I live there are about 1.5 months of the year when sane people swim outdoors, so swimming is a big production involving lockers and fees and trying to stuff a DD cup structured-bust swimsuit through that wring-y thing that squishes out the extra water. I like to walk, and I'm skilled at it.
    I just started the primal fitness thing like 4 days ago. So far:

day 1: did the lift something heavy thing. The heavy thing I lifted was me. I started on level one of all the movements. It didn't feel really awful like some workouts and it was over soon, so that was good. But the next day I was super sore, which hurt, but I was also impressed that a 15 min workout had done so much.

day 2: walked, and then hiked up a pretty decent hill, to the summit, then down again, then walked more.

day 3: walked again, maybe for 40 minutes

day 4: today 10 minute walk in the wet cold, 40 minutes of very easy yoga (Crunch Candelight yoga on Netflix instant play. I have a crush on Netflix. Netflix where were you all my life?)

My goals: So back when I was young and cynical and had really high expectations of myself and the world, I let being heavy keep me from doing a lot of fun stuff. I'm WAY better about this now, but I think I kind of want to meet myself in the middle. My mind has relaxed a lot, and now my body is on its way to a happier spot. Somewhere in the middle, there is a sweet place where I'm strong enough to do whatever I want, and I want to do a lot of things. When that comes, watch out world. I have a tiny frame. It's pretty ridiculous. All the women in my family are this way. Short, small bones. We still look fat at a size 8. We are not Amazons. We are Munchkins. With no hint of anorexic wishes or bulimic dreams, I look pretty good around 115 lbs.
    B: 2 cups coffee, almond milk
    L: hamburger patty, 2 eggs, a few slices of red pepper
    D: 2 hamburger patties, onion, mayo, mustard, small green salad
    S: tea, almond milk
    If you made it this far, my hat off to you. Tune in tomorrow for day two
    Last edited by junebu8; 11-08-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: adding in today's exercise

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    Heehee I like you're writing! I'm staying tuned in for maņana.

Hi Raphaella, thanks I was really excited to read about your great luck with skin improvements right out of the gate! That's always so uplifting, especially for people like me, who can usually stick with the plan for health purposes but must sometimes resort to good old fashioned vanity as a motivator.

Yesterday was a starving day. No matter how much I ate, I was still hungry. I was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. If you don't have children, just trust me on this. It was an expensive day and now my food stores are low, so today is going to be a light day whether I like it or not, until I can go shopping tonight.

I did the lifting exercises yesterday, and I'm not as sore this time. I think I might add more reps next time, or maybe try the step two modifications on some of the movements. It was the first time I've ever exercised in a fasted state, and I'm wondering if that was part of the overwhelming hunger thing. Or it could have been stress.

My exercise (it's ok to laugh, you're laughing with me):

24 level 1 push ups (2 sets of 12)
    level 1 plank 90 seconds (2x45 seconds)
    24 level 1 overhead press (2x12)
    24 squats (2x12)
    still no pull ups. I need to get a bar, but it's going to have to wait for a good payday, or maybe after the holiday$.

I ate:
    3 eggs with butter for breakfast, 3 cups coffee, a few coconut oil/cocoa balls, a burger patty, two cups steamed broccoli, butter, 3 eggs, butter, more coconut balls, couple cups of coleslaw (cabbage, mayo, buttermilk, salt, dry mustard, vinegar, tiny sprinkle of stevia powder). More hamburger. Two glasses of wine. A couple breadsticks. Ooops. Haven't fallen off like this in a good long time. Can this day be over now? K thanks.

Today I'm supposed to sprint. This poses a few problems. It's freezing and raining and blustery out there today...one of those days when you open the door and the wind closes it for you, but not before you're pelted in the eyes with little stinging needles of icy rain. I don't have an exercise bike (I used to. It made a fine rack for drying woolen garments) and I can't get to the pool today either. I do have two sets of stairs in my house, one of which is crazy steep. I don't think I can run up them, but I might try to scamper up quickly on all fours a few times. Goodbye, modicum of dignity, hello smaller pants.

I feel pretty much like crap after the wine and breadsticks last night. I'm sure my glucose levels are a wreck. I'm not even going to check. That's how bad a screw up that was. Must move on though. Going to go easy on the food today though, until my stomach is back in shape. It's funny how after you've avoided eating poison for a long long time, when you do eat it, you can tell it's poisonous!

My food: B=1 egg, butter L=chicken soup with veggies, lots of ginger and garlic D=more soup, small serving of pumpkin with butter

Not feeling great today, possibly because of carb nastiness I ate last night, but also feeling the effects of an overscheduled week and the possible onset of the first cold I've had in a long time. No exercise today, excepting a rowdy wrestling match with some rained-in kiddos desperate for movement. Sprinting didn't happen. Hoping to crash out early, wake up energized and get sprints in while fasted.

It felt good to rest today, and tomorrow is a freebie day, the last one before my Thursday-Sunday of madness is upon me. Just so much going on right now with kid activities, family get togethers, birthdays, and of course (drumroll please) The Holidays. I'm not a bah humbugger in the least, but I can already sense January in my pocket, a little treasure to hide away and cherish secretly through the wild ride of the merry season.

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junebu8 View Post
    It's funny how after you've avoided eating poison for a long long time, when you do eat it, you can tell it's poisonous!
    So true! When I let myself have something bad it upsets my stomach, and I realize that that's how I ALWAYS felt when I lived off of junk, I was just so used to it that it never bothered me. It was my normal state.

Breadsticks are the devil! Do they have Olive Gardens where you are? If someone put their breadsticks in front of me right now I don't know that I could say no...

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junebu8 View Post
    It felt good to rest today, and tomorrow is a freebie day, the last one before my Thursday-Sunday of madness is upon me. Just so much going on right now with kid activities, family get togethers, birthdays, and of course (drumroll please) The Holidays. I'm not a bah humbugger in the least, but I can already sense January in my pocket, a little treasure to hide away and cherish secretly through the wild ride of the merry season.
    oh, to be 7 again and have the holidays just *happen* with minimal effort.

hope you recovered from the carb nastiness!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

oh, to be 7 again and have the holidays just *happen* with minimal effort.
    Absolutely. Or really to have anything happen that easily...dinner, even

I sprinted while fasted this morning. Or did what I'm calling sprinting. I alternately scrambled up our super steep stairs and ran up our regular stairs. I went up and down each one six times. That's going to have to do for now. The really steep ones are REALLY steep, with risers just over a foot. We call them the Aztec stairs. At the top we have a temple where we make sacrifices. Or we have an oddly shaped attic bedroom where we make Legos and cardboard robots.

Breakfast is two cups of coffee with no almond milk which a) is lame b) highlights the extent of my caffeine dependency. I hate drinking it black, but if we run out of 'milk,' coffee still happens. Oh, and I had a bowl of almond meal hot cereal (almond meal, butter, cinnamon). More nuts than I've been doing lately, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm trying to nurture myself a little bit right now. Eat comfort food, get lots of rest, because stress levels are so high. Tried to do some meditation yesterday but there were constant interruptions. Might try again today. I really need to get to the pool and hang out in the hot tub for a bit.

B: IF
    L: 6 almonds, a few slices of roast beef (I'm not starving myself, just busy, and having that IF 'not hungry' feeling.
    D: will be salmon and salad with tahini dressing

I filled my freezer today! I really need to get a little chest freezer because the regular one is PACKED with steak, a turkey, ground beef, including some patties I pre seasoned and formed first, two chickens, livers, ten pork roasts (big sale) drumsticks, chick thighs, all natural lunchmeat (two lbs ham, 1lb turkey)...and more. It was so nice to get stocked up on meats again. I hadn't realized how low things had gotten. Going to get another turkey tomorrow and store it at the neighbors house. They're conventionally raised, but so cheap this time of year. Going to brine the white meat and roast to make my own turk lunchmeat to freeze, and grind the dark meat into turkey sausages.
    I'm on a meat high!

B: coffee, cream, tea, cream. Lol.
    L: Giant green salad, roast beef, tahini dressing, olives, artichoke hearts.

Since this is the only social media I'm taking part in right now, I've decided to post something for which I'm grateful, each day in November (starting today) her on my journal.

So today I'm grateful for people who sing along with their ipods, even though no one else can hear the music.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I too am loving your writing! Welcome to journal land!

For indoor sprinting do you have a place you can jumprope? I do that in the garage. Also look into dumbbell thrusters, you don't need dumbbells any type of added weight in your hands will work.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast