Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3 dosage? page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D3 dosage?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just bought some Vitamin D3 today... all natural, etc... it's 1000 IU. Says to take 1 on the bottle... but i've read so many different suggestions that i'm not sure if I should only be taking one or more? I live in Ontario, Canada and it gets pretty damn cold here in the winter, so i'm not out & about nearly as much as in the spring/summer/fall months.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    FYI: Female/116lbs.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    cillakat has a great vitamin D thread with lots of good information on this. I forget which category it is in. I hope she'll find this thread quickly and give us a link. The Vitamin D Council web site has lots of good information, also. I think 4000 iu is going to be the new recommended daily dose for anyone with health issues.

A key point is to be sure to read the finest of the fine print on your bottle and be sure you aren't getting any retinol or fish LIVER oil in it. Retinol is the cheapest form of vitamin A, and it defeats your body's ability to make use of D. You have to watch for fish liver oil in these supplements like a hawk. I just discovered that the 2000 iu caps I've been getting from Costco have cod liver oil in them! You'd almost need a microscope to find it on the label.

I have a bottle of 5000 iu caps of the Now brand that I am switching to.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I just read the label and my Vit D supplements are from fish liver oil! Bah- why is everything so complicated! Can anyone recommend a good U.K brand? I thought Solgar were meant to be good quality.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    I just read the label and my Vit D supplements are from fish liver oil! Bah- why is everything so complicated! Can anyone recommend a good U.K brand? I thought Solgar were meant to be good quality.
    I use Solgar - what a funny colour they are! But I do feel that they work... I am taking 2 a day, and getting outside as much as I can. Here in Sussex it is still mild and the sun has been out a lot.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You might have to just check your levels occasionally to see how the dosage is working. When my endo first tested my D, it was only 29 (below 'sufficiency'). I started taking 4,000IU daily, but when he checked it again about a year later, it was only 37 (barely into 'sufficiency'), and I know that at least 50-60 is the recommended level. So now I'm taking 6,000IU daily and will check again in a while.

Because I'm hypothyroid, my endo checks my blood every 4 months, so it's easy for me to ask him to include a check of the D (which has to go out to a separate lab, so he doesn't check routinely).

I would never supplement 'blindly.' You need to know your level to begin, and then assess how well your supplement is raising that level.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Babe,

* D Council: Toxicicity overdose > 40,000 IU Daily
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml
    http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Ov...Vitamin-D.html
    * D Council: Vitamin D Dosage= 1,000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight
    D Council: Optimal 25(OH)D level is between50–80 ng/ml
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...eficient.shtml
    * Mark Explains Vitamin D
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vitam...ion-and-doses/
    D Council: What diseases are associated with vitamin D deficiency?
    ============================================
    * Osteoporosis * heart disease,
    * hypertension, * autoimmune diseases,
    * certain cancers, * depression,
    * chronic fatigue, * chronic pain comprises

Grizz

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I use Solgar - what a funny colour they are! But I do feel that they work... I am taking 2 a day, and getting outside as much as I can. Here in Sussex it is still mild and the sun has been out a lot.
    Yes, I feel that they've been working too. I feel a lot better now- no depression amongst other things. Plus my skin is a lot more tanned now.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I too had a vitamin D deficiency, based upon my lab results. I taking~ 4000 IU a days, and this resolved the problem.

I have tried 2x of this dosage amount, but started to get some acne flare-ups, which subsided after I dropped back to the previous dosage range. Now...I admittedly cannot provide any hard proof of a medical link to this little nuisance problem...it was just my personal experience, and in my case, anything that gets my "bubble a little off plumb" seems to cause this.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I take 5000 iu a day. Was tested 2 x and my levels were good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast