Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3 dosage? page 3

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Get your D levels tested, go from there. I just had mine tested 2 weeks ago and with effectively no sunlight exposure I'm just about at a perfect level at 5k IU's a day (most days, I generally don't take them on the weekends, I just kinda use the weekends as a supplement break, no real reason just nice not swallowing a billion pills heh).
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    What is the difference between g and iu?
    2200IU = 55 g (according to the label on my bottle of D)

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    g = micrograms.

Yes, Vitamin D, 1 IU = 0.025 microgram
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have been taking D3 drops, are they ok? 1000 iu per drop x 4. They are called Delicious D. Ingredients are Vit D3, and additives are medium chain triglycerides from coconut, I presume coconut oil and natural cinnamon.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    5000 iu/day but not religiously. Gloomy Gloucestershire but I can't afford to go somewhere sunny!
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Some of the hypothryoid folks I know are having *such* a hard time getting their levels up even with uberhigh doses. But not all.... I wish there was an easy guideline but there doesn't seem to be - aside from "1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight then test every three months"
    I know i'm quoting a 2 year old post, but this has been my experience. I supplemented about 15,000iu a day for over a few months, and my levels are still only in the 40s.

I've run out, but when I decide to repurchase again, I may go with the drops. I was doing a liquid capsule with MCT carrier oil.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I know i'm quoting a 2 year old post, but this has been my experience. I supplemented about 15,000iu a day for over a few months, and my levels are still only in the 40s.

I've run out, but when I decide to repurchase again, I may go with the drops. I was doing a liquid capsule with MCT carrier oil.
    You may find that your levels go up accordingly if you switch to sublingual drops or microtablets. Sometimes there's an absorption problem when taking oral medications so taking it sublingually might make a difference.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I've seen it suggested in a blog post that too much D can impair the immune system (as well as too little). Could there be anything to that, do you think?

(The blogger had one personal anecdote in support; so do I. There was also a theoretical basis, but nothing I was qualified to judge.)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I've seen it suggested in a blog post that too much D can impair the immune system (as well as too little). Could there be anything to that, do you think?

(The blogger had one personal anecdote in support; so do I. There was also a theoretical basis, but nothing I was qualified to judge.)
    Chris Kresser has reduced the serum level he recommends to 30-40ng/dL, iirc

I was taking 5000iu per day and eating the livers of fish I catch. Ended up at 192 nmol/L (78ng/dL) so have reduced the dose. No immune issues so far

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    g = micrograms.

Yes, Vitamin D, 1 IU = 0.025 microgram
    So I can / should take two of these a day while on the bottle it says one a day?
    The bottle also says 'extra strong' @ 25 g.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast