Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting fatter-help! page 3

righetti Guest

Shop Now

Marci,

I'm suprised it wasn't mentioned yet. Don't overlook the benefits of fasting, if you are able to.

ps. first post btw!!

alanrlow Guest

Sounds to me like you are eating way too much protein and way too little fat. I'd bet the total calorie is on the high side. You need a calorie deficit to lose but you also need a lot more fat in your diet. Excess protein can end up as body fat too you know.

Oh yes, I'll second the above post, intermittent fasting will help greatly. Two 24 hour fasts a week will work wonders.

Alan.

62shelby Guest

IF'ing is generally recommended for healthy people, not to say Marci isnt healthy. But for those with endocrine issues its probably not recommended, as the hormone response is not the same. Speaking from experience, I have similar issues to Marci and IF'd for a month, 24hr x 2 per week, nothing happened, in fact it probably made things worse.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I gained 10lbs IF'ing - I'd not eat during the day, but I'd eat a lot when I got home from walk. I got and shivery at work (a sure sign of metabolic slowdown) and of course, eating all my food around 8pm - 10pm wasn't helping.

This was published today - it's quite eye opening:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8234386.stm

62shelby Guest

Indiscreet I had a similar feeling of being cold during the IF, and I think it gets complicated with "women of a certain age", a lot of metabolic and therefore hormonal responses changing (even if youre not 'there' yet), so the body's response isnt going to be that of someone say either younger or male, in general. There is evidence that it works for some people, some of us not.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

So glad to hear you're feeling better marci! Have a great weekend

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Not eating late in the day has been a guideline for many years. Well, there's proof, I guess.

Anecdotally, I used to eat a fourth meal, basically, in the final hours. Of course, that had nothing to do with the fact I gained weight and gained weight over the years, did it?

Gotta admit I miss that psychological comfort zone these days. But (almost) every time I get on the scale I'm reminded that it's worth the pain.

(It looks like I'm now living in the upper 230 zone! Woo hoo! More weight lost than to go! i.e., 45 lost, 40 to go.)

marci Guest

ok guys- one last question...I know I can look this up on the site but I'd like your opinions~

what kind of fat should I be eating?

Tarlach is offline Member

You can't do much better than grass-fed beef fat

...except for maybe blubber

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Griff is offline Senior Member

Marci: Saturated if at all possible. Beef with marbling. Coconut oil. Bacon fat. Egg yolks (fried in butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat). These are the good fats.

AVOID canola, corn, and any other vegetable oil except for extra virgin olive oil. Don't use them - throw them out.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast