Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting fatter-help! page 2

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

marci, hang in there. I too gained weight after going primal. Not too much. Somewhere around 5 lb. The guys here gave me exact same advice they gave you, so I'm planning taking them all (advices, that is) on a test-drive.

P.S. Last night we grilled grass-fed T-bone steaks and I saw my boyfriend cutting a strip of fat off and giving to our dog. I almost started crying. Doesn't he know that I have first dibs on that kind of stuff?

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

yep nuts gets me in trouble every time

some can be pretty high in carbs and you just start popping in your mouth like me that can be a problem so I just have them now and again and I measure them out! I know it took awhile for my thyroid meds to kick in and for things to regulate! but please don't give up! this is the way to eat! Keep on keeping on and hide that scale for a bit and the nuts lol

make sure you take a good kelp supplement too for your thyroid. I cut out dairy and just use a tad of cheese now and then and I put full fat coconut milk in my coffee or tea and it is wonderful!!! you may want to try that too! don't use any soy esp with thyroid problems! xoxo Darlene

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh Chocolatechip I might have cried over that...especially on a T-bone, that strip of fat is so delicious!

Marci, I've noticed the most satiation (is that a word?) from animal fats rather than olive oil, coconut oil (I've eaten that one by the spoonful too), and butter. While I like those three, I definitely feel better after eating fatty beef or pork, bacon or bacon grease (LOVE cooking my eggs in bacon grease), whole chicken, or wild salmon.

I second nixing the nuts, they were a big crutch for me for about 2 months, and I actually was able to phase them out quite a bit. I still love my almond butter, but that's much easier for me to ration

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

62shelby Guest

coconut oil has benefits for those with thyroid issues, which is why I mentioned it.

marci Guest

Excellent advice- I will take it all!

To be honest I've been drinking a bit more wine than normal (summertime & the rose is easy to quaff!) I like 3-4 glasses a weekend but will cut way back. After this weekend at the beach I will implement all of these suggestions. Hell, why wait- I'll start tonite!

I have some bacon fat saved, will cook my eggs in it. And eat my bacon. And I do stay away from soy-but have been partial to tempeh now & then.

And Hannah- yes nut butter is easier to ration-good call (nuts are my kryptonite!)

Darlene & Shelby mmm coco milk in coffee- never tried it but sounds divine. I heart all things coconut. And I had heard the oil is good for thyroid issues (and a great moisturizer for hair & skin)

thanks CC6, Darlene, Hannah, Shelby--with yr support my inner Grokette will reveal herself. I'm just tired of feeling bad about my weight gain & thinking "this is the solution!" then the reverse happens.

Your collective advice may very well lead me -and other gals going thru this- to my PB sweet spot for effortless weight loss.

((((HUGS))) You can do it! xoox Darlene

shalon is offline Junior Member

Hi Marci,

I'll second kb's recommendation that you check out NAET. As with kb, I don't want to push it on anyone, but I will attest personally that it works.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

marci, your trainer is just flat out wrong. I can't claim any, um, training in these matters except by empirical observation, mostly on the internet, of course.

Read that TIME article. Read again why Mark, probably a far better athlete than your trainer found out he was killing himself with all that training. That's how he came up with the Primal exercise program. Grok probably never ran marathons, that's why the Greek guy that did the first one to deliver word about the battle was so notable.

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

Marci:

I hope my post encourages you to keep on going. Yes, I kept getting frustrated with my weight gain. There was a month in 2007 where I rode my bike 100 miles each week; I also checked my pulse to make sure I was in that zone so I could lose weight. Guess how many pounds I lost? zero, I gained a pound. Yes I was more muscular but I needed to lose weight.

Then in Jan of 2008 I fell into this web site and a review of Good Calories, Bad Calories, both changed my viewpoint.

I cut down on sugar, monitored everything that went into my mouth then a month later I stopped eating pasta and bread. I lost maybe 10 pounds then I started really concentrating on limiting the carbs and eating more veggies, fat and my proteins.

I had to buy a sweater and a pair of pants this week. I am a waist size 34, used to be a size 42, now I am a size med, I used to be a size x-large. I have lost 37 pounds I want to lose 12 more.

I spoke to my dad about my changes and told him about my tub of lard that I cook with.

Marci,keep trying, keep educating yourself then remember there were times with me that my body would not lose weight no matter how little carbs I took then bam I would go on to a major loss of weight of 3 to 4 pounds in a week.

Keep monitoring your food intake, you might be surprised where you might be going off kilter.

I believe aerobic exercise just makes you hungry, throw heavy stuff around. I still love to bike but now I bike to get rid of stress not to help me lose weight.

My two cents

PrimalCon New York

wow Ohio Lopez! that is great motivation for all of us as well as Marci!

xoxo Darlene

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast