Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Many diets later... page 3

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Thanks, Grandma!

That was a lovely article :-)

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

Marloe:

I have worked in private club kitchens all my adult life and I have managed to lose 25 pounds while I was employed at a club. Find sugar substitutes then cut the grains.

You can still cook but you are just preparing different foods. This way of life is not easy would I prefer to go eat a hot dog, have a lemon tart or eat some tortillas filled with rice and beans. You bet. Here is what I ate today, shrimp with garlic and homemade mexican salsa on a bed of spinach with butter.

One of my Oh Holy shit moments was I saw a documentary where an obese 53 year old woman was interviewed. she said a good day was making it to her outside porch of her one bedroom house. Sad? Make your choice and just try to be little better every day. Please dont try to go from having 200 to 300 carbs a day to 49 grams, this is too much of shock to the system.

Start cutting sugar or carbs and start logging all your food. Don't worry you will do great but one step at a time.

Marloe Guest

You all have good advice and I thank you muchly.

I have researched food, nutrition and low carb for the last 7 years and could probably give talks on it. My bookshelves are full. The data base of healthy low carb, low GI/GL, Holford, the Hellers, Protein Power, Atkins, Schwarzbein, Zone, Somersizing, Leslie Kenton's The X Factor Diet, Insulin Resistance/the X Syndrome, Candida and more on my laptop is squeezing the edges of the memory.

Knowledge I have - and after being on lowcarb and paleo sites for some years - I also have a fair plethora of recipes. And I make them up as well. My problem is not from lack of knowledge. It is lack of application.

I just love food. I love flavours from all over the world and buy some amazing spices and such wherever I go to enhance the dishes on the menu. Today we have been open for 6 months - in a recession - and sometimes it is nerve racking to say the least.

This is a bistro type place with fresh wholesome food. All our beef is grass fed, our eggs free-range (still working on the chickens as we live an hour from the nearest town) Today I sold our first house burger (on a panini roll - artisan bread) with organic lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. The minced/ground meat was spiced with cumin, coriander, cloves, paprika, freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Once it had been flattened out a bit, it was filled with fried bacon bits and finely grated pecorino cheese, closed up and then fried gently until medium rarely done. It was a hit. I would be happy enough to just have the meat and vegetables...and I will offer it so as well.

I will not follow all the rules of paleo/primal eating, because I will be using dairy products, albeit sparingly. Being a Type B blood type, dairy is supposed to do well with me And the seed oil that I use - grapeseed oil - has a high smoking point and I use it with butter. I banished margarine and trans fats ages ago. If I could get raw milk I would use that too.

Grandma - you sound like a really feisty lady - thanks for your words. I am never again going to get to the point where I slavishly follow one food regime and eschew all others. I know what it did to my mind in the end. Reading and books are part of my life and the problem is that I have read so many on diets/lifestyles, and so many say different things. In the end it is only ourselves that can choose.

However, I know that the one thing in the bunch that worked the best for me was low carb of sorts. I believe absolutely that carbs cause cravings (CCC) and I am fully aware of insulin spikes and blood sugar levels plummeting etc. It is me that I have to deal with in the end. My mind, my choices, my ways.

It is a question of deciding just how I am going to approach my own new lifestyle. I am getting there.

That is why I came to this site. I need support - and thank you to those of you who have been giving that to me already.

Breakfast was a fresh 3 egg omelette filled with 3 baby tomatoes and a smattering of chopped celery...and a Tbs of finely grated pecorino cheese. Snack was a celery stick and an orange, then it was on to making of the new Mango Mousse for the new Spring Menu. (Southern Hemisphere) Mango puree, orange juice and whipped cream, no sugar. Oh so yum. At least it wasn't bread I was eating. Not a grain has passed my lips! And that is my success of the day.

Tonight will be fillet medallions with a mustard cream sauce, a garden salad and two glasses of fine red wine. The others will have baked potato wedges with smoked paprika.

Have a great day - mine is heading towards evening while yours is just starting.

grandma is offline Member

Marloe, looks can be deceiving --- my screen name is derived from the quip "don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food". That is where my resemblance to an actual grandmother ends.

Good luck, I really did enjoy your art.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Marloe Guest

Aha! Thanks Grandma! I appreciate your compliment on the art. Working on some new ones at the moment. Sometimes it is like therapy

M

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Marloe, that was a great post! And I think your thinking behind whatever you are doing is impeccable.

So, how far is your restaurant from Florida? LOL!

BTW, we had a thread here a month ago about would a Primal restaurant survive.

grandma, I always presumed that you had children and they had children. It's a dangerous moniker, I think most would presume you are indeed a grandma.

grandma is offline Member

OTB, you didn't realize that -- after all this time? I have children, but no grandchildren yet and I am a 44yo 6` 200lb MAN! hence all the people who call me sir. This is so much fun

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

No, you fooled me, sir!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

SIR GRANDMA you are not paying attention OTB...tsk tsk.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Marloe Guest

Had a wonderful evening with the best attendance at the restaurant since we opened 6 months ago today. That is, apart from our wine tasting dinners once a month and functions like birthdays, private parties and the chamber of business lunches etc. Just an ordinary Friday night. The air is warmer, now they are all coming out of their cocoons. We ran hard in that kitchen tonight! But we did it, and it all turned out so OKI thought of Primal eating most of the day and was thinking up new desserts that may break a tiny part of a rule, but certainly would be better than ice cream, custard and grated chocolate. I'm still thinking

One of the best dishes tonight was the fillet with creamy mustard sauce and the lamb shank in red wine, rosemary and garlic. I introduced our new Spring menu and everything new was tried somewhere in the restaurant tonight. I had a momentary lapse when I absent-mindedly put a piece of crisp browned potato wedge in my mouth. I didn't do it again, and that was my success today. In fact, I didn't have dinner tonight at all. Just too busy and then it was too late. However I did have a snack this afternoon - an apple instead of wholegrain bread. And there was an orange at lunch time. All successes in their own right. I am getting there

PS SIR Grandma? Didn't that change from yesterday? Well now...we will not be confused no more! Sir...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast