Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Socially acceptable, cheap, barefoot-style shoes? page

primalLogic is offline Junior Member

Socially acceptable, cheap, barefoot-style shoes?

Shop Now
    I've love to own a pair of Vibrams, but the pricetag and the social stigma have ruled it out for me. Can anyone suggest cheap, socially acceptable shoes with minimal foot support? Right now I wear Chucks, but those have too thick of a sole for my liking.

Thanks!

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    I am in the same boat you are. Same shoes too :P

I tried on a pair of Nike Frees, really liked them... but I couldn't justify $90 on shoes right now when I struggle with just gas and food.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Male or female?
    If female, you can generally get dirt cheap "ballet pumps" - criticised by CW for their paper thin soles etc etc.
    If male.... erm.... ? Cheap sneakers / trainers with as thin a sole as possible??

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking to get wrestling shoes. I have a buddy at my boxing gym that has a really nice pair of boxing shoes but I think they may just be wrestling shoes. Minimal support and they look bad-ass. Depending on the brand you're looking at $40-80 though.

If you're interested in running minimalist shoes, try swim shoes! I bought a pair for like $3 and they lasted for months and months. The only drawback was my big toes pierced through the material after a while... I would still wear them because I don't care, but after running a mud-run with them I had to retire them, they tore up. You can find them at any walmart, take out the inner sole for an even closer feel to the ground and make sure they're pretty snug or they'll dance around on you.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    What about Converse Chucks? I've never worn them but they are about as thin as you can get in a sole...

I have a pair of Tusa scuba booties (hehe he said booties) that would likely pass as "shoes" in public... they are just neoprene slip ons with a softish rubber sole.

I wore my VFF's out in "public" for the first time today... apparently real tree camo is appropriate grocery store wear but shoes with toes make little girls whisper to their moms in ways that are very easy for you to hear. lol

Although I suppose the combination of rolled up Eotac tactical pants and monkey toe shoes is a bit incongruent... lol

Wear your freaky toe shoes and be proud my friend!!!! Just not to a job interview...

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I used to wear "Chinese shoes", which were cotton Mary Jane style shoes with very flat soles and no support at all. I had an men's version too, which I have seen referred to as "kung fu shoes". A big advantage to them is that even the fancier ones are usually less than $20. Here's one online store that carries them: http://www.natashascafe.com/html/shoes.html. You could find them in Chinatown and at some hippie-type stores too.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

runnerbean is offline Member
    I wear flip flops most of the time

Spyhop is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I used to wear "Chinese shoes", which were cotton Mary Jane style shoes with very flat soles and no support at all. I had an men's version too, which I have seen referred to as "kung fu shoes". A big advantage to them is that even the fancier ones are usually less than $20. Here's one online store that carries them: http://www.natashascafe.com/html/shoes.html. You could find them in Chinatown and at some hippie-type stores too.
    Yep, I was just about to suggest this. Plain black shoes or black mary janes are really unnoticeable, and thus socially acceptable in places Vibrams might not be. Warning, though, they're cloth so not waterproof. I love china shoes and kung fu shoes though, wore them all the time even pre-PB.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    These are gorgeous! Thanks for the link, I think I'm gonna buy about 5 pairs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast