Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Socially acceptable, cheap, barefoot-style shoes? page 2

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm looking to get wrestling shoes.
    Wrestling shoes are nice and flat, and very flexible, but you won't get the full range of motion with the toes though. They will keep them boxed in pretty good. But if that is a compromise you're willing to make they seem like a good plan. Its been so long since I've had to by wrestling shoes ('89 or '90 I think) I wouldn't have a clue as to what they cost anymore. The last pair I had were the Asics Dan Gables and I loved them.

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    I broke down and bought a pair of cheap walmart Chuck knock offs (faded glory brand) after my gym told me 'no bare feet' and they're deffinately better than what I was wearing at work (VFFs would not be welcome). As a side benefit, I noticed my feet and knees don't naturaly align when I set up for Squats,(didn't notice this when barefoot, but checked and, yeah, I do it barefoot, too) so my $7.00 shoes (marked down from, I believe, $12.00) have probably saved my knees from a costly injury in the near future.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

drbrik is offline Member
    Has anyone tried the Merrell Eddy water shoe? How flexible are they? I like my cheap water shoes for hiking in but keep putting my toe through the uppers after about 2 weeks so I want something better made.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member

Nike U-soc - river shoes, much thinner and more flexible than Nike Frees, very grippy soles. I have two pairs. Great work out footwear.

drbrik is offline Member
    Where did you get yours from Valarauko? I can't seem to find any online

The first pair I bought at a Nike outlet store in Japan, they are identical to the ones in the picture I posted above - I love them. I use them as slippers at work (Japan even at school I have to take my outdoor shoes off!). The second pair I got in a bargain bin at random shoe store in Japan again, they are a little different actually, I just hunted around my house for the box and found it - they are called "sneakerboat"
    The u-soc are slip on, fully elasticized.
    The sneakerboat, have a stronger toe and are closer fitting and have a lacing/strawstring system on the top to get a really tight fit, they are very flexible, but grippy enough that I can use them for indoor climbing.
    They are very minimalistic shoes, just a thin piece of sticky rubber and some thin neoprene on top.

drbrik is offline Member
    I like them. I'll just have to keep searching

here's a good review

...but it seems they have been discontinued, which is a bummer! I will have to keep my eyes peeled in bargain bins for old stock.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    I rock a pair of Converse All Star Light shoes ( http://www.converse.com/#/products/S...Taylor/511530F ); even with the additional "arch support" they advertise, the shoes are still lighter and far more flexible than traditional Chucks. The Men's version is the "Slim" line.

Laguz is offline Member
    I had a pair of Minnetonka moccasins that were among my favorite and most comfortable pairs of shoes. They had very thin pads at the bottom, and no rubber soles. Here is a link to ones similar to mine (mine were black, not brown). I don't know how well they would hold up as running shoes, but they made great everyday waking shoes for me. I would not recommend wearing them in the rain, though.

http://www.zappos.com/minnetonka-cla...le-brown-suede

They're not exactly cheap, but they're not as expensive as Vibrams.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast