Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cillikat is right....make sure you are monitering vitamin D levels! page

UpErMei is offline Member

Cillikat is right....make sure you are monitering vitamin D levels!

Shop Now
    I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 4 years now. Since I'm also very fair and wear spf, I supplement with Vitamin D3. For the past 2-3 years, I've taken 1000-3000 mg daily, but for the past 2-3 months or so I've taken 5000 mg.

Well, I got the results today and I was at 92, with a reference range of 10-100! I'm a little surpised that it's so high, but glad too I guess. Cillikat is right....you must test and not just guess!

Cilliakat ( and others)....should I go back down to 1000-2000 mg daily? Is 92 a little too high?
    Last edited by UpErMei; 11-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't your doctor have advised you when giving you the test results? (Or did you do your own test?)

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    Wouldn't your doctor have advised you when giving you the test results? (Or did you do your own test?)
    Don't you notice how stupid doctors are these days?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post
    I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 4 years now. Since I'm also very fair and wear spf, I supplement with Vitamin D3. For the past 2-3 years, I've taken 1000-3000 mg daily, but for the past 2-3 months or so I've taken 5000 mg.

Well, I got the results today and I was at 92, with a reference range of 10-100! I'm a little surpised that it's so high, but glad too I guess. Cillikat is right....you must test and not just guess!

Cilliakat ( and others)....should I go back down to 1000-2000 mg daily? Is 92 a little too high?
    You are a long way from overdose & within 2 points of OPTIMAL according to the experts:

Dr. Davis: Proper 25(OH)D Blood Level is 60-70 ng/ml Toxicity overdose > 120-130 ng/ml
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...el/vitamin%20D

D Council: Optimal 25(OH)D level is between50–80 ng/ml
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...eficient.shtml

Best to you.
    Grizz

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    ETA: Quest did the test. Result is 83 for 25(OH)D which is actually 66 ng/mL after adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post

First:
    1) was this via labcorp or ZRT? please say it wasn't quest If it was quest, divide 92 by 1.3 (which would then be 72)
    2) mg are not IU. Huge difference.

Anyway, I'd drop down to 2000 IU per day which will, over a few months, bring your levels down likely to the 60s. It takes an increase or reduction of 1000 IU to affect a 10ng/mL change (ie a 25 nmol/L change).

Yes, it's worth sticking around 65 ng/mL. Maybe even 55-65 ng/mL. There is some data (that I'm not going to dig up, but anyone else is welcome to) showing slight drawbacks to higher levels. In some cases of serious illness or disability, it maybe worth the "risk" to go higher but overall, I'd stick with 65 ng/mL.

While true toxicity (based on how it is currently defined - hypercalcemia) doesn't start until 200ish ng/mL, it's Very Very difficult to get levels above 80 ng/mL via even the most extreme sun exposure...indicating that levels in that range are simply biologically inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    Generally speaking, they just don't know. 92 ng/mL isn't above lab norms. It's just not biologically appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    Don't you notice how stupid doctors are these days?
    They, like the rest of us cannot know everything. They are limited, like the rest of us, by time, personal bias, personal experience, the need to make decisions about where we put our time and energy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    You are a long way from overdose & within 2 points of OPTIMAL according to the experts:
    Double check your math. 92 is not 'two points' away from 80 or 70. Cannell has more recently been downwardly revising the upper limit of his recommendation: he's recommending 55-65 ng/mL for the most part. For specific cases, he occasionally recommends 80-120 ng/mL but that is for the treatment of specific serious issues and not a blanket recommendation.
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

britt007 is offline Member
    What levels do you recommend for a person with osteoporosis? My mom had a baby 5 months ago and breastfed for the first time, and it turned out her back pains were from fractures and that she has osteo. She found out after 4 months of breastfeeding and stopped then. Her levels were 35ng/ml, I believe. It isn't in a low enough range for the doctor's concern, apparently. She is on a Calcium and D combo supplement, but I don't know how much D is in it.

UpErMei is offline Member
    Cillakat.....it was Quest. I had it drawn at the military hospital here on base, but they send out for vitamin testing.

Here is exactly what it said.....

Vitamin D total 92 ref range 30-100 ( I mistakenly said 10-100 above)
    Vitanin D3 86
    Vitamin D2 6

I am SO glad I listened to you and got tested!

Quest does crap for D testing:/ Seriously, there are both possible accuracy and precision issues with your test, plus the issue of the results not being normed.

1) Your result is NOT 92. It's 86. But that's still not right.
    2) Your actual result is 66 ng/mL (86/1.3=66.something)
    3) Don't change a thing. Your D is perfect.

It's also odd that they are they calling it D3. It's not D3. It's 25(OH)D. Two totally different things. And we can be sure it's not actually D3 b/c D3 testing just isn't done.

It might be helpful for others just coming into the thread if you edited your original post with an update. It'd be unfortunate if anyone saw the original post and became concerned about taking appropriate levels of vitamin D.

It could say something like this "I'm so glad I tested my D levels because they're perfect...even after taking 5,000 IU per day for months."

lol
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.

What levels do you recommend for a person with osteoporosis? My mom had a baby 5 months ago and breastfed for the first time, and it turned out her back pains were from fractures and that she has osteo. She found out after 4 months of breastfeeding and stopped then.
    noooooooo. This just breaks my heart. She and the baby will both be better off if she continues but what's done is done. Should she be so inclined to relactate, have her contact me.

Her levels should be what everyone's should be: probably the middle of the reference range. But with optimal K intake....fwiw, it appears that k is more effective than fosamax at reversing bone loss.

This may be helpful taken daily and is certainly more beneficial than calcium/d supplementation:
    5 mg vitamin K2. Thorne has a liquid K2 that is excellent.
    400-1000 mg magnesium per day (jigsaw health magnesium specifically due to it's time released formula)
    lots of veggies and some fruit/berries (like 1-2 servings per day of the latter)
    weight bearing exercise
    primal/paleo/perfect health diet (www.perfecthealthdiet.com)
    15-30 mg zinc from all sources
    250 mg vitamin c a few times per day

Calcium supplementation has been shown not to be an effective tx for osteoporosis.

Test blood levels of 25(OH)D every 3 months via LabCorp or ZRT. If her first test was done via Quest, remember to divide the result (32) by 1.3.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Anyone in Canada getting monitored? Is it as easy as just telling the doc you want to get tested?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast