Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about ankle, wrist, body weights? page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

As my weight goes down and hence my exercising (walking) burns fewer calories, I'm thinking of adding weights.

I've had ankle weights, two pounds each I think ,for years, hardly ever used. I've worn them several times recently walking. I have old scuba weights ca. college years that I'm thinking of adding to my waist. (And no, that old rubber belt will NOT get around my waist. I can get a new belt on eBay for $12.) Or maybe fill the pockets of my photog's vest with lead shot....

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts or experience on doing this? I certainly can't see any downside.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

in my opinion I think they are bad on your joints...

the ankle ones when I used them a long time ago gave me horrid shin splints. The groks didn't need weights ...on their bodies constricting them...just carry some rocks around lol xxox Darlene

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

OTB:

I agree with PrimalGoddess that ankle weights can hurt you; but I like the idea of a weighted vest or backpack. I've been trucking around with a backpack for a couple of weeks, and I have to say that the mighty "California Penal Code Handbook, 2009 Edition" (about 10 pounds) really makes hills a lot more aerobic-and sprints for the bus even MORE delightful!

Thanks, "guys."

I can't see, at this time, that ankle weights are any worse than the heavy hiking boots I used to own way back when.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's the amount of use. Let's see who/what else "weighs" in.

No comment on the CA codes!

Tarlach is offline Member

I've been thinking of getting a weight vest and wearing it when I exercise, etc.

That might be a better load balance than on the ends of your limbs...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Tarlach, I think any and all extra weight can be beneficial in some way or another. In my hiking days there used to be some rule of thumb about how an extra (ounces, pound) that your boots weigh translates into X amount of energy or additional distance walked.

Perhaps not accurate or scientific, whatever it was, but certainly true in its essentials. The first Vasque mountaineering boots I bought ca. 1973 were SO heavy and clunky! Now similar duty boots are to be had at half the weight.

PG, back at ya, what ARE shin splints? I've heard the term, no idea. And, how much did you use them?

When I've put the weights on for my walk, only twice, I certainly can't move my legs as fast. Makes sense. And a bit more tiredness in the muscles when done.

Clint is offline Senior Member

If you use ankle weights, don't use them for anything more strenuous than walking. Running and, especially, jumping with them can be disastrous to your knees and ruin proper form.

The weighted vest is good, but I wouldn't use it for long workouts. It tends to compress the spine and makes you more "top heavy" where you can start hunching over if the weight is too much.

The weighted belt option is going to be the best bet. It places the weight at your center-of-mass, so it doesn't throw off your weight distribution, yet your limbs have to support/lift the weight when using it. I have one and I use it for most all of my strength workouts and sometimes just wear it for a walk.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Just my opinion, but I'd stay away from the ankle weights. The added weight on your distal extremities magnifies the weight exponentially...not in a good way. The decline in calories burned as you lose weight is small. As you lose weight, the amount of weight you can lose in a healthy manner also decreases, so you should run at a lower deficit anyway.

Weighted vests are good for things like pushups, pullups and squats. Good luck!!

What I hear in those responses (thanks) without saying it, is "Use your head." Not for the weights, but use them wisely!

No running for me, still way too heavy and that bum knee. Maybe someday, but not this year, literally.

An update on my question and what I did today.

Since my old scuba belt won't go around the decades later belly, I took the weights off and put them in a fanny pack. IIRC, I think that's 16 pounds. Then I took the ankle weights but put them on my wrists, I think 2 pounds each.

Really interesting! I could feel my heart working harder, I was slower walking. But mostly, I discovered I could use the time to do arm exercises! Lift, hold, this way and that, one at a time, or both. I really liked getting this two-fer of my time. I'm going to investigate getting more weight on the wrists, for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast