Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar-withdrawal! page

futhark is offline Member

Unhappy Sugar-withdrawal!

Shop Now
    Hey there good Groks!

I kinda need some help on how to deal with my craving for sugary stuff..
    Yesterday, I experienced some intense feeling all over my body which I believe was my body wanting sugar.

So I went out and bought this healthy gluten-free, transfat-free bag of chips, along with a hot dog. But then I gave in and bought some buns with chocolate in it, ate it and the my body calmed down.

Right now, I'm experiencing the same feeling, so I try to figure out what I can eat to stop the cravings.
    I got some nuts, ate it, but still the feeling is there.

So do my fellow-Grokers have any good advices on how to deal with this irritating feeling?

Fire away! (preferably as fast as you can, thanks!)
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...imal-Journal-_

Grizz is offline Banned
    Futhark,

Sorry to say, you are addicted and you will simply have to suffer through withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks. Just be strong for a few weeks and the urges will fade away.

GRIN & BEAR IT. There are far worse addictions to quit.

Best to you,
    Grizz

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    The discomfort you speak of is either low blood glucose or high cortisol or both. When BG drops, the adrenals increase cortisol output to trigger burning fat for fuel. For some, this mechanism takes awhile to get up on running

be sure you're getting plenty of protein (max 30% of cals), plenty of fat (50-65% per PB....75%'ish' if leaning toward PaNu and Hyperlipid)

then wrt the sugar issues...

1) sub primal starches for sugar: sweet potato, potato, yam, winter squash, parsnips, turnip, carrots etc in abundance when ever you're craving. once the sugar addiction is broken, reduce dependence on them, increase non-starchy produce.....30% *max* from protein, 20% max from carbs, 50%ish from protein. (though some do closer to 65%, or even 75-85% but that's not based on the PB as much as it is PaNu, Hyperlipid and a few others)

2) or just go cold turkey and know that the discomfort will pass like it does with all addictions. Some of the discomfort is your body not being used to having to access alternative sources of energy as you usually keep feeding it carbs to keep blood glucose propped up. Now you won't be doing that. Your body will learn to use fat as a fuel - either fat from your food, or in case of a calorie deficit, fat from your stores.

Anyway, in terms of breaking addictions:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...8-quit-smoking
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner
    @Trok: I smoked about 1.5 - 2 packs a day of Marlboro reds for like 10 years, so I can talk from a proper hardcore nicotine addict perspective. I haven't smoked in almost 3 years. No cravings or anything like that to date.

Here is what worked for me:
    a) Make sure you are quitting, not "becasue you should", but because YOU want to.
    b) Pick a time when you won't be following your daily routine, like an international flight for vacations, for example. This will help you avoid the "doing x" with smoking psychological association.
    c) Once the time comes, quit. Notice I am not adding the word "try to". Decide that you will unequivocally quit and expect the worst. This is crucial as you wont be in a position when you are "trying to endure" the cravings. Picture that scene in trainspotting where the guy sees the baby crawling on the ceiling, and prepare to endure the worst. Notice I am not talking about fighting the cravings (where losing is by default a plausible scenario). Picture yourself in a beach, standing in front of a wave and preparing to get the hit. Just man-up and take it, it will be over soon.

My two cents, hope it helps.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Grizz: You are right about that. My kind of addiction is bearable if I put some will to it, so I will try doing that.

cillakat: Thank you, thank you so much! I think I'll try to go cold turkey on this. I found some websites, like elena's pantry and primal palate, with recipes that doesn't include starch nor sugar, so I'll try to make some muffins or whatever this weekend, eat some and freeze some for later if the next wave comes back. I already got stevia-powder and coconut flour, so I have to make almond ground/flour with a coffee grinder instead of using wheat flour..

30% protein, 20% carb and 50%fat, got it!
    Hey, I can go get some eggs and bacon and make an omelett with sardines and spinach leaves, or is it wrong to make something this big now?
    It's 07:40PM here in Oslo..
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by futhark View Post
    Hey, I can go get some eggs and bacon and make an omelett with sardines and spinach leaves, or is it wrong to make something this big now?
    It's 07:40PM here in Oslo..
    Go ahead man! I would eat that at any time of the day OR night. There's never a wrong time to eat when you're eating nutritious and delicious.

Alright, I'll do it, iniQuity!
    Thank you so much!
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Picture of Futhark lusting after JUNK FOOD ;---) )

Cheer up, my good man, things could be worse !
    So you cheered up and sure enough things got WORSE !

Mark gives his advice on Sugar + Grain Addiction:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/your-brain-on-junk-food/

Cheer up, we've all been there & done that. HEY, I've suffered through nicotine withdrawal and NOTHING is worse than that!

Eat ALL YOU WANT from fish, meat, eggs, veggies. Nuts & fruits for snacks. PIG OUT on veggies

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    I'm also a huge former sugar junkie. Here are my thoughts, from personal experience only:

1) I still eat more carbs than many (yams, fruit...). If I eat too much, I get sugar pangs.
    2) Sometimes I get cravings late at night, my old binging hour. Recently realized I'm actually dehydrated, which for some reason feels like sugarjones. Drink some water.
    3) Eat fat. For me, fat greek yogurt with some froze blueberries kills it dead.

I was hardcore, and these really work for me. I've kept some leftover sodas in my fridge as a "test" for about 4 months now, and haven't so much as tasted them.

Good luck!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yes. You won't like it, but this is one you simply have to tough out. By eating the high-sugar stuff you have only guaranteed this will happen to you again and again and again.

This is like kicking an addiction to heroin. Treat it as such, and you'll do better.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Grizz: Yeah, you're right on that one! Im going to take a look on the link, but first I have to make this yummy omelet!
    bUMbLeB: More water, got it! And I also got some frozen berries, so all I need is some fat greek yogurt. I'll get some tomorrow!
    I really don't have the guts to get some sodas right now, so I'll stick to my water for now, if it's okay

By the way, is carbonated water/sparkling water okay in these times?
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast