Thread: Primal Thai Soup page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I made this soup for dinner tonight with roasted chicken carcass I had. The idea was to make a bone broth and use it for soup, instead I just combined the 2 and came up with this recipe. Plus I had some fat drippings to use up from roasting a chicken. It's not really all that original, since most of the ingredients are ready-made. These are just guidelines as I eyeballed the amounts, so please use your judgement per your taste.

Ingredients:

Chicken carcass (optional) or stock

Fat drippings (Optional)

shredded chicken (optional)

Coconut milk

Red curry paste (I love Thai Kitchen brand)

Veggies - I used broccoli, red and green bell peppers, zucchini, scallions

Fish sauce or Tamari (I recommend Fish sauce)

Lime or Lemon

Cilantro (I'd run out of it)

If you are using carcass and fat drippings, put it in a pot and cover with water and slowly simmer for about 10 minutes or so. If not, add stock to the pot followed by coconut milk (I used about 1/2 can) and red curry paste and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add fish sauce, veggies, chicken if using and let it simmer till the veggies reach the doneness of your liking. Add the juice of 1 lemon or lime and garnish with cilantro. Remove the bones before serving.

The fish sauce I used had water, anchovies, salt and sugar. Since sugar is the last ingredient in the list, I'm assuming it's not much.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I've seen a couple of soup recipes with a coconut milk base (the other had shrimp, also yum!), and since it's starting to feel fall-ish already I kinda want soup again! Plus I have leftover chicken fat from roasting chickens the last couple of weeks. I love that your cooking paradigm is so opposite of mine, and that you post recipes that are so different from my usual steak/meatloaf/roast chicken type normal

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Elana Guest

Mmm! Maba, this looks delicious. I've made something similar before and also like to add straw mushrooms. I think I know what I'm making for dinner thsi weekend

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Mmmmmm. Here's mine:

http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2009/09/thai-fish-vegetable-soup-with-coconut.html

Gotta try yours next! I am in love with red curry paste...

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Hannah, steak, meatloaf all seem exotic and different to me as they're what I haven't had or rarely ate before going Primal. I am enjoying "primalizing" traditional dishes. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I cook something which is a Primal substitute for what I've been used to eating. I felt so happy when I first had my meal of Primal Pilaf and curry and raita. One of the things that bothered me the most when I turned Primal was the fact that I was giving up food that is such an integral part of my culture and family tradition. It felt like I was betraying my identity. But with all the wonderful recipes you guys post here and some of what I've created, I feel like I'm creating my own culinary culture.

Elana, I was thinking of straw mushrooms too last night, wish I'd had it. My soup would have tasted better with cilantro.

Your soup looks great BG. I love Thai soups with seafood. And you know what I forgot (well, actually I didn't have it on hand), adding Thai basil to the soup would kick it up a notch.

Elana Guest

Mmm!!! I think basil makes everything taste better. Good call, Maba! I feel so inspired now. Can't wait to cook this weekend.