Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the consensus on NSAIDs? page

livewire516 is offline Junior Member

What's the consensus on NSAIDs?

Primal Fuel
    Just got back from the doctor because I came down with a brutal cold earlier this week (this first time sick since thanksgiving last year grrrrr). She clearly wasn't pleased when she learned I hadn't taken anything the last couple days, she told me to take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

Even before knowing about primal I was never much for things like NSAIDs. Isn't this short-term inflammation my immune response doing what it needs to do? As for the pain itself (ulcer in back of throat, swollen lymphs, sinus pressure behind eye and intermittent headaches), it's more than tolerable, and not interfering with sleep (that's my roommates' job).

Long story short, how do you guys feel about taking an NSAID for something that looks like a moderate viral infection?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Huh? Why would a doctor be displeased because a patient has not taken a pain-relieving med. Whose pain is it?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My theory has always ben "if you don't need it, don't take it." That being said, it depends on how high yor fever is and where the infection is. over 101- 102, you want to bring that down if it's not gone after 48 hrs (that's the timeline, think, google it if that's your case) or it can start royally messing stuff up. If it's trying to go into your chest and bronchial tubes, take other mods to get it out of there. Those can turn REALLY nasty if left unchecked (walking pneumonia, bronchitis).
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I've spent a year trying to recover from gastric irritation from too much Aleve (NSAIDs).

livewire516 is offline Junior Member
    According to the doctor I don't have a fever, I should have told her I woke up at 10:00 for the 10:15 appointment. I'll check again.

Now as for keeping things out of my chest, you mean like an expectant?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Expectorants and decongestants are my best friends during any cold or respiratory crap. Mucinex knockoffs and phenylephrine are my go- tos, along with any sinus pills I may need.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Nasty. Don't they block the same enzyme that is responsible for gut repair and so drastically increase gut permeability? I steer clear of them.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    I've spent a year trying to recover from gastric irritation from too much Aleve (NSAIDs).
    I know what you mean. We have Aleve over here (except the brand is Neurofen; though you can buy ibuprofen caps for almost pennies. This is why it's not a good idea to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach, always take it with food (I was told even taking it with liquid 'food', such as milk, rather than water is not a bad idea).

Too much ibuprofen can cause an ulcer (as the irritation is caused by overproduction of stomach acid).
    La tristesse durera toujours...

emmie is offline Senior Member
    IMO, doctors always want to push meds.

Background--I took Rx NSAIDs for over 20 years for my severe arthritis--because I didn't know any better! About 10 years ago, I stopped taking them by controlling my inflammation and pain with diet and exercise. When I mentioned to my primary that I hadn't taken them for about 5 months, his response was, "Cold weather is coming, and you're going to need them." Of course, I didn't, and he just doesn't mention it any more--but he thinks I'm weird for not taking meds.

My philosophy is not to take anything I don't need, and I certainly wouldn't take anything for the mild inflammation and discomfort of the flu or a bad cold. As you point out, the inflammation is part of the healing process, so why suppress it?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    A few years ago when I sprained my wrist my doc prescribed an anti-inflammatory. She said inflammation gets in the way of healing.

Last month I injured my shoulder. The ortho I saw said the same thing, only instead of prescribing recommended OTC nsaids. He said the inflammation needs to be kept down. I took naproxen (Aleve) for about 1.5 weeks until I started experiencing one of its rarer side effects - mouth sores - and now I'm taking ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin). Normally I also prefer not to take drugs I don't "need", but when 2 docs I trust (plus the ER doc) tell me the same thing, I start to think there's something to it.

I imagine there's a difference between illness and injury, but I do have to wonder what it is the inflammation is DOING and how it can possibly help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast