Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead hang pull up form question. page

Neilfenstein is offline Member

Dead hang pull up form question.

Is it bad form to raise your legs in a dead hang pull up?

I don't until I am starting to get tired, which makes me think it is bad form. However, on a regime like SimpleFit I would be way down on levels and total workout if I stopped when I had to raise my legs a little to get my chin over the bar.

Advice please!

Thanks.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    If you're squirming around to get over the bar it isn't a true dead hang pull-up, but so what? Get those extra reps in any way you can!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    @Al, I thought dead hang meant starting the pull up from a hanging position and not swinging or kipping to give you momentum in order to start the movement. I also thought once You are pulling up you could do as you wished with your lower half, not in the form of Kipling but I don't see any issue with moving your kegs up a bit especially near the end though it does make the movement slightly easier.

Kyle C. is offline Member
    Yeah moving your legs isn't wrong unless you are swinging them for momentum. Simply raising your legs shifts your upper body backwards, which puts the load more on your back than your arms, so it's natural to go to the larger muscles as you get tired.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Al. I'm up to 11 pullups on my first round, and I don't start using my legs until around 8 or so, but it helps me get the last few out. It's not a competition. The stronger you get, the less you have to use your legs.

I don't like true kipping, but I'll use my legs to help get over the last few.

Joe The Toad is offline Junior Member
    Getting your reps in is good, but when using assistance to complete an exercise I pay very close attention to form. Listen to the body! I start my pull ups in strict form and engage the legs as I weaken, finally I will use an assist such as a chair at which point I will focus back on form.

I do have a side problem with developing tendonitis in my elbow joints so I always back off if feel any discomfort there. This slows my overall progress but prevents exercise-stopping injury! Keeping my elbows in tight to the body seems to help prevent this recurring problem.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    @Al, I thought dead hang meant starting the pull up from a hanging position and not swinging or kipping to give you momentum in order to start the movement. I also thought once You are pulling up you could do as you wished with your lower half, not in the form of Kipling but I don't see any issue with moving your kegs up a bit especially near the end though it does make the movement slightly easier.
    It depends how you define your terms. For me, a dead hang pull-up begins from a dead hang and involves minimal leg flexion. It's just semantics though, getting your reps in matters way more than splitting hairs over terminology.

Check out my blog post for more of my thoughts on dead hang pull-ups.
    Last edited by Al_Kavadlo; 11-05-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added link
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Thanks Al and all!

I don't squirrel if that means squirm! I just as stated crunch my knees ip slightly when getting tired and sometimes more when struggling a bit. It tends to be a lot less these days but I was on my rest week this week on SimpleFit and kept really good form doing a lower easier level with less reps and it came to mind!

Again thanks to all for the replies! I am really trying to continue through my workouts gaining reps with out too much compromise in form and just needed some friendly reassurance!

Grok On!!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say avoid any extra movement beyond the actual up and down with the arms and back if you can, if you find yourself fighting out that last rep a little movement is no big deal; just don't be that guy donkey kicking his way up over the bar.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cheers adventure, donkey kicking is a no no, I got that and I don't normally get that far!

I don't know if you know simplefit but the only time you do extended quantity of reps is on day 3 (test day)! Its a good program and I'm doing OK so far!

This has helped me be certain that I am going about my progress properly and not pushing too hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast