Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need crockpot (and venison) advice! page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

Need crockpot (and venison) advice!

Primal Fuel
    I bought a slow cooker (= crockpot), and I'm a bit hazy on how long things take. First I tried stock with venison bones (hooray for real butchers). Hm... 11 hours of slow simmer later, I've drained off the stock & I'm boiling it down, but the bones look less cooked and bleached than I'd expect. (But I've only used beef bones before, so I don't know... maybe venison's different?) Should I have given it longer?

Next task: diced venison to stew. How long? Low or high setting?

And any tips on keeping the venison tasting of something? I tried stewing venison on the stovetop years ago, and it didn't have much flavour. Maybe I cooked it too long or too hard or something?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    One of the revelations for me in the Primal Cookbook was stock in the crockpot. I've only done chicken stock so far, but per the book, cook it for 24 hours. It's AMAZING the difference between the watery, bland, pale-colored stock at 12 hours, vs the dark, rich, flavorful stuff at 24 hours. I also think the tip to include a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar is great--helps to leach all the good stuff out of the bones.

I assume all this would be true with venison too?

I can't help with the rest of your question--I've never tasted venison, let alone cooked it
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I'm sure you're right... should've been 24 hours or longer, since deer have bigger, denser bones than birds. Ah well... too late this time, the bones are in the bin, and the end result is still pretty good.

You should try venison. Everyone (who lives a long way away from me) should try venison.

Still need help with stewing it, though, if anyone's got any ideas...?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I leave my slow cooker set to low and I find that it takes six or eight hours to get some country style pork ribs or something cooked all the way. It also helps to stir them a time or two along the way as well. I normally put the food that I want to cook in mid to late morning that I plan on having for dinner. One of mine is larger so, sometimes I have to kick it up to the higher setting to keep it on pace with the smaller one.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    One of the revelations for me in the Primal Cookbook was stock in the crockpot.
    *sigh* I tried it too hoping for good results, no dice! Very sad. I have the worst luck with any sort of chicken stock or soupness, for some reason.

Venison sounds great -- glad it turned out OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    *sigh* I tried it too hoping for good results, no dice! Very sad. I have the worst luck with any sort of chicken stock or soupness, for some reason.

Venison sounds great -- glad it turned out OK!
    What happened? I make it weekly and have yet to have anything but awesome stock from it. Either our tastes are different or we're making it differently.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Jenny I made it too and have had sucess, it was the best tasting broth I have ever made.

To the OP, next time set it on low for a whole 24 hours that will solve your problem. I <3 the crockpot, right now I have some garlic lime chicken cooking away and will try to update my blog later with the pics of the finished product.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    What happened? I make it weekly and have yet to have anything but awesome stock from it. Either our tastes are different or we're making it differently.
    It was just super-watery and unpleasant. And believe me, I used hardly any water -- it didn't even cover. I let it run for 24 hours hoping it would get better, instead it just got nasty. Nothing like stock at all! I tried it once with a roast chicken carcass and once with raw chicken broken up. Baffling.

People keep giving me "foolproof" chicken soup recipes and none have ever worked! I have a black thumb for this apparently.

But anything with beef marrow broth? No problem, I make that all the time. (Mysterious!)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Well, I have just made some ace stock from two (organic free range) pigs trotters! Roasted them until brown, put in slow cooker with 8 dried bay leaves, four cloves, teaspoon black pepper corns and boiling water to cover and the juice of a lemon.

They have been on 24 hours and the stock is amazing. BUT - I am sure my slow cooker is quite a quick cooker. It is above a simmer - the bubbles are vigorous enough to come out f the side of lid (there is no steam vent) so I am always wiping the work surface, and adding more boiling water.

Jenny, I can't understand your problem with chicken bones. Are there, perhaps, not enough bones? If you use two or three carcasses from roast chickens and add bay, water to cover by an inch, the juice of a lemon and cook 24 hours - well, I get SUPERB thick stock - it jellies so you can almost cut it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It was just super-watery and unpleasant. And believe me, I used hardly any water -- it didn't even cover. I let it run for 24 hours hoping it would get better, instead it just got nasty. Nothing like stock at all! I tried it once with a roast chicken carcass and once with raw chicken broken up. Baffling.

People keep giving me "foolproof" chicken soup recipes and none have ever worked! I have a black thumb for this apparently.

But anything with beef marrow broth? No problem, I make that all the time. (Mysterious!)
    Maybe you need lots of water to leach the good stuff out of the bones? I always cover the carcass, and add the apple cider vinegar. I've only made the recipe following on for making the Easy Slow Roast Chicken recipe from the book. Maybe that helps rather than use roast or raw?
    Liz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast