Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrist tattooing page 2

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have tattoos wrapped around both of my wrists. The left one actually has artwork on that little pointy bone. That hurt a lot. I actually felt like I had an out of body experience while that part was being done. The rest of the work around my wrists didn't really feel any different from any of the other tattoos I have. So yeah, little pointy bone = pain. I should mention that I have very skinny wrists without much cushioning, so maybe it will be different for others with more fleshy wrists.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Im actually a tattoo artist here in San Francisco, so I guess i have some experience. Yes it hurts! for a tattoo the size that your getting its not worth taking anything, and advil, tylenol, Do nothing for that kind of pain. Best thing to do is eat an hour so before (not really an issue for PB folks.) and avoid alcohol the day before and caffeine the day of, or at least a few hours before. The pain has more to do with the amount and density of nerve endings in a particular spot, i.e. the ribs and arm pit are very dense, while the deltoids are not. elbow, dense. Behind the ear, not.
    My advice other than choose a good tattooer, (look online at portfolios from shops in your area, Look for clean, non wobbly lines, Tattoos should look dark and saturated not grey and washy, that stuff doesn't last. Bold will hold) is to get into the pain. Dont grip and squeeze to try to bear the pain, this actually floods your capillaries and will stimulate the nerve endings, thus more pain. instead, just let the pain go through you. Its a rite of passage getting a tattoo and it is pretty damn primal, So embrace it.
    And don't forget to tip.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Way back when, I thought getting a cute newt tattoo around my belly button would be a snap. Boy, was I WRONG! Worst. Pain. Ever.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Forgot to add this in the last post:
    Worst places to get a tattoo in order of most to least painfull:
    •palm
    •crease between buttocks and back of thigh.
    •throat
    •Sternum
    •armpit
    •ribs
    •back, particularly low back
    •belly
    •top of foot
    •back of the knee
    •kneecap
    •inside of elbow, Called the ditch
    -everywhere else is pretty bearable or not a great place to get a tattoo anyway.

Laguz is offline Member
    I want to get a tattoo on my wrist as well. My first was a tattoo of otter prints on both sides of my stomach. Not the best feeling, but it wasn't painful enough to keep me from wanting another one!

Edit: It probably didn't help that I'm a bit ticklish, so after the adrenaline kicked in, I had to tense up to keep from squirming (probably counterproductive). The vibrations from the needle nearly drove me nuts!
    Last edited by Laguz; 11-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I have some script on my wrist...DH has the same tattoo. He got his first and whined like a baby. Cringed and acted like it was the worst tattoo pain ever. I got mine and didn't really feel a thing. It was uncomfortable in some places, but I've definitely felt worse tattoo pain. *shrug*

I'm getting some new tattoo's tomorrow! Three greyhound portraits on my right arm Yay, ink!
    I love that script, what's it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    I have tattoos wrapped around both of my wrists. The left one actually has artwork on that little pointy bone. That hurt a lot. I actually felt like I had an out of body experience while that part was being done. The rest of the work around my wrists didn't really feel any different from any of the other tattoos I have. So yeah, little pointy bone = pain. I should mention that I have very skinny wrists without much cushioning, so maybe it will be different for others with more fleshy wrists.
    Yeah, me too. One of the few places on my body where I have no padding at all Ok, so I'll brace myself when he gets to that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    Im actually a tattoo artist here in San Francisco, so I guess i have some experience. Yes it hurts! for a tattoo the size that your getting its not worth taking anything, and advil, tylenol, Do nothing for that kind of pain. Best thing to do is eat an hour so before (not really an issue for PB folks.) and avoid alcohol the day before and caffeine the day of, or at least a few hours before. The pain has more to do with the amount and density of nerve endings in a particular spot, i.e. the ribs and arm pit are very dense, while the deltoids are not. elbow, dense. Behind the ear, not.
    My advice other than choose a good tattooer, (look online at portfolios from shops in your area, Look for clean, non wobbly lines, Tattoos should look dark and saturated not grey and washy, that stuff doesn't last. Bold will hold) is to get into the pain. Dont grip and squeeze to try to bear the pain, this actually floods your capillaries and will stimulate the nerve endings, thus more pain. instead, just let the pain go through you. Its a rite of passage getting a tattoo and it is pretty damn primal, So embrace it.
    And don't forget to tip.
    It isn't my first, but my other is on my shoulder and it didn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the advice, I'm happy with my choice of artist, he does good work that I've seen in pictures and in real life http://www.abandonedart.com/jonnysbio.html

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    You're all INSANE - think about how they're gonna look when you're WRINKLY!!!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    A tattoo is more than just appearance. I remember what I was doing at every point in life I got tattooed. I remember the artist who did each tattoo, what song was playing, where I was living. They're memories.

Will try to post some pics when I get home.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I apologise, DR, it was insensitive of me. I have a friend (well she WAS a friend) who has a maggoty apple tattooed above her right boob - with the legend 'rotten to the core'.

Last I saw her she was having a witch tattooed (IN FULL COLOUR) down her back.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I have a tattoo on my right wrist and it was ok until the guy got to the pointy bone. That kind of reverberated through my body. Weird stuff! I think it is painful, but I also got it when I was 18 so what did I know about pain at that point?!

I have 3 more on the line-up to get. They are going to go down my spine (more towards the top/back of the neck).

Carrie
    Last edited by carres1973; 11-05-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast