Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PB By and For the Ladies page 2

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Here's a blog post from Carrie Sisson:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-...stion-roundup/

Lotsa good stuff in here. Thanks CillaKat for the prompt!
    Last edited by jazmin; 11-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    While I'm now menopausal, I used to suffer from severe PMS and cravings; luckily that's all gone now. But, it does seem that there are a number of women who struggle with cravings during that time of the month. They could probably benefit from some words of wisdom.

primalmaven is offline Junior Member
    Dear Mark and Carrie,

My husband is an author (finance) and we were just discussing what to write next. There is always that next book that needs to be done to keep regulars engaged and lure new members/advocates. Sounds like a Primal Blueprint for Lady Grok is a likely money-maker LOL and you could start with the research by doing just what Jasmin suggests. (I know I am not telling you anything you don't know).

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    I'm new to the forum (today) but I've been eating primal/paleo for a couple years, and I've had dramatic weightloss, and lots of stalls too. Stalls ALWAYS come when my focus shifts from away from eating meat and veggies, toward making complicated 'legal' treats and sweets. Turns out, that for me, a primal three tier cake is still a three tier cake. So even if the chocolate and fruit statement was an over-generalization, it really applies to my situation. Also, I happen to be a stay at home mom, and I have a lot of control over what I eat/when I snack because I'm the person who does the shopping and cooking. So if I'm experimenting with a new recipe or product, I'm the one doing all the taste testing. On the other hand, my husband is working two jobs and doesn't have much time to think about food. He doesn't cook at all, and he never sits around wondering if he could come up with a passable german chocolate cake using almond flour and coconut oil He eats three primal meals a day, which I prepare, and the only thought he gives to it is to thank me for it. If he did have to cook for himself, I think he would get by solely on grilled meat and salad with vinaigrette, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Of course, my situation might be pretty unique so maybe it's not applicable to many, but I do best when I stick to the basics in the kitchen, and try to find another outlet for my creative energies.

JCoop is offline Junior Member
    Us gals need to remember that the men will drop fat easier than us, so 80/20 will allow men to lose, but it has been my experince you need to be much stricter to lose as a woman. I did not really do 80/20 until I got to maintenance, and even now, I don't think I am 80/20. I allow myself one night a week to have beers, but besides that I am very strict. I also do Crossfit 3 days a week, one day of heavy lifts and one longer run a week. Now, I do have my BF under 20% (not sure exactly what it is have not been tested in awhile), but it took 8 months of strict diet and exercise to get here, and I started PB at around 26% BF, so it is not like I was very overweight to begin with. Patience is the key to being sucessful at PB. Also, you have to learn how to cook. That is the only way you have complete control of what you are actually eating, and you will find that you can make things at home that taste so much better than anything served to you in a resteraunt.

Just have patience ladies, and be as strict as you can on your eating, which in my opinion is so easy to do when there are so many wonderful PB foods we can eat!!!

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junebu8 View Post
    I'm new to the forum (today) but I've been eating primal/paleo for a couple years, and I've had dramatic weightloss, and lots of stalls too. Stalls ALWAYS come when my focus shifts from away from eating meat and veggies, toward making complicated 'legal' treats and sweets. Turns out, that for me, a primal three tier cake is still a three tier cake. So even if the chocolate and fruit statement was an over-generalization, it really applies to my situation. Also, I happen to be a stay at home mom, and I have a lot of control over what I eat/when I snack because I'm the person who does the shopping and cooking. So if I'm experimenting with a new recipe or product, I'm the one doing all the taste testing. On the other hand, my husband is working two jobs and doesn't have much time to think about food. He doesn't cook at all, and he never sits around wondering if he could come up with a passable german chocolate cake using almond flour and coconut oil He eats three primal meals a day, which I prepare, and the only thought he gives to it is to thank me for it. If he did have to cook for himself, I think he would get by solely on grilled meat and salad with vinaigrette, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Of course, my situation might be pretty unique so maybe it's not applicable to many, but I do best when I stick to the basics in the kitchen, and try to find another outlet for my creative energies.
    +10000

I know that is the honest truth to me too. While I am learning oodles about making some fabulous stuff, I only veer away from grilled meat and veggies once a week. I cook almond flour pancakes for my boys nearly every day but I personally only eat them once a week. My making recipes is mostly to keep my kids in check.

I think you made a very very good point June.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see more on the hormonal issues side of it... a lot of ladies with pre-existing thyroid issues have advised not to go below 50g carbs a day for others with hormonal problems, but rather stay between 50-100g, because that's when they lose weight and have the most energy (VLC caused their weight plateaus and feeling poorly in general), and to in fact get some of those carbs from starch sources, kind of like what The Perfect Health Diet advocates. I've seen others respond that it's a matter of getting enough of the right nutrients from organ meats, not just the muscle meats... like selenium, zinc, mag, manganese, etc. But if that's the case, what if I'm icked out by that thought at this point, and can't really find anything other than liver or tripe anyway? Then, taking both these 'sides' of the VLC for women with hormonal issues debate together, it seems like supplementation and paying more attention to nutrition, not just carbs, could help. I've already started eating two brazil nuts a day for selenium, for example -- but I'm not really sure if it'll help with anything, and if it does, how that would work.

I know there must be a very complicated interaction between hormones. But sometimes I feel like people go into MORE detail on the forums than what's actually written on the blog or the book, and advise different or even contradictory things, like this whole issue of whether ketosis/VLC is the most efficient way to lose weight. Ultimately I know it's up to each person to try out different things and see what works for them in terms of ideal weight, energy levels, etc. But for a while I was worried that I was CAUSING hypothyroidism by eating VLC, and I wasn't doing it on purpose either; it's just the way things worked out with how I was planning my meals. And I do think it's something that affects women in a different way, simply because of the greater prevalence of hormonal issues, namely PCOS and thyroid stuff, plus the fact that our sex hormones are constantly cycling. For example I've noticed that I need to eat more during my period, as well as sleep more. There was a post about those with PCOS and IFing, and it made me realize that if I decide to IF in the future I have to be really careful about doing it during my period... and that's just not something men have to worry about, really. So in that way I do think some elements of PB are more complicated for women.

As for calories... wouldn't those who are starting out overweight also eat higher calories though? - just still less than their basal metabolic rate? And gradually adjust it downwards as they lose weight. I think that may be why I seem to be eating about 1,700 calories a day (and I'm 5'1") without doing too much exercise--walking and dancing a few times a week--but still losing weight steadily: 6 pounds in 5 weeks, and right now I don't want to lose too much more -- 20 pounds or so -- so right now I'm happy with that progress. Ultimately I care about the torso fat going away though, and I've noticed that too is slowly disappearing, and if I get to that weight and the torso fat still isn't gone then I would probably have to cut down on calories and do more intense exercise. When I was eating 1200 calories a day of un-nutritious foods max and doing chronic cardio I didn't lose any weight and there weren't any changes in my body composition -- well unless injuries count haha. So I do think it's also a matter of nutrition.

I've also seen it said before that you shouldn't eat fat WITH carbs b/c the carbs would 'open up' the fat cells to insulin and you'd end up storing the fat too... or something like that. I'm not sure how true that is, but I try not to worry about details like that too much, because I'm already paying WAY more attention to the nutrition (as well as calories) of what I eat than most other people ever do in their lives, and going into that much detail would just stress me out and defeat the point of living a healthy lifestyle. In general I feel like the forums are more carb-phobic than they really need to be... you also see posts where people worry about carbs in onions and carrots and things like that. And in general I want to enjoy my food... not worry about the calories or carb count or fat count like so many people do when eating *anything*.

I guess you'd have to do a poll to see whether women do rely more on nuts/fruit/chocolate/dairy/primal baked goods for calories, but anecdotally it seems like I've read about more women than men having issues with sugar cravings, and I also know way more females than males who are 'carb-o-holics.' I wonder if this relates at all to ingrained gender stereotypes and the notion that 'meat is for men'... there's also a good thread in the forums about how it could tie in with serotonin levels. I know that I have issues with sugar addiction; I was able to finally admit it to myself, and have veered away from buying nut flours or dark chocolate or too much fruit for that reason, because I'm worried I still won't be able to control how much I eat. Out of sight, out of mind... or at least out of mouth haha. Especially for those of us who are in the process of losing weight, possibly compounded with women's body image troubles, it seems like a 'brave step' to eat as much meat and fat as we are. Personally I LOVE eating so much meat and fat because they taste so good and there's also a part of me that takes pleasure in doing something typically 'forbidden.'
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 11-05-2010 at 02:40 PM.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I also agree. I actuallly still think that perhaps too much fat and too many cals. Marks base of the pyramid is veggies and fruit, not fat.
    I disagree. I think the people who aren't losing are eating too many carbs in the form of fruit, dairy and starchy veg.
    Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 11-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.

greek_girl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    Hi Mark!

Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but if they have, let me add my voice!

So ... I have noticed a rather disturbing trend of women on the forums who are discouraged and frustrated. They are not seeing the weight loss they hoped for, or they are struggling with some issues that the men aren't. See NSWM's thread "Is It Even Possible for Women to Lose Weight on the PB?"

As much as I adore your advice, I think maybe we could use some female input from Grok HQ. Do you think your wife would be willing to start a Q&A thread for us Primal ladies? Or maybe a blog post on her daily routines? Or maybe one of the ladies in your employ would be willing to chime-in on the forums or in a blog post?

I see a lot more discouragement among the female grokstars than among the males, who seem to be tripping along pretty merrily eating a lot of good phatty meat and veggies, doing their sprints and Heavy Things ... while us ladies tend to focus on fruits and Primal baked goods and chocolate. Possibly some of the disenchantment is a result of the guys' amazing fatloss success stories, which are so wonderful, but which may not be realistic, in terms of the quick timeframe, for us ladies - with our different metabolisms, hormones, cravings, and activity levels.

Anyway, I'd love to get a female perspective on the PB.

Jazmin
    Completely agree!

I believe that would be a huge success and it will make such a huge difference to a wan like myself who is doing her best on her PB quest as well as beeing a good mum, wife. athlete. earner and all the rest that comes along with territory.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't get any better than this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast