Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good DARK Chocolate? page 3

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Primal Fuel
    They certainly do, L - they sell it in my local indie grocery store. I've no idea about the ingredients of the bars I buy because they're hand made. I know the highest she currently does is 85%, but that's still a little sweet for my tastes.

I have been known to eat cacao powder straight from the tin, if I've nothing else...

I'm hoping Santa might bring me a selection box from here http://www.willieschocolateshop.com/. I've sampled his chocolate before, and it really is the dog's dangly bits...

The Javan Light is my favourite, though I also dig the Venezuelan. Tasting chocolate's like tasting wine or coffee and, like coffee, cacao beans are strength rated (Javan's 2, and the Venezuelan's 5).

Just wish I had 75 to spend on chocolate!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    They certainly do, L - they sell it in my local indie grocery store. I've no idea about the ingredients of the bars I buy because they're hand made. I know the highest she currently does is 85%, but that's still a little sweet for my tastes.
    I take it you're referring to Lindt 95% bars? Well, that's very interesting. Maybe it's something Lindt doesn't sell directly in the USA (perhaps naiadknight in Texas buys them from an importer?). I've never seen a Lindt 95% bar in the Lindt store at the USA headquarters in Stratham NH, nor at the Lindt outlet store in nearby Exeter, nor anywhere else. Lindt's USA website doesn't mention that product -- though I could have been looking in the wrong category. If such a product exists and is only sold in some non-USA markets, I'm going to petition Lindt to start making it here in Stratham.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I just bought Godiva 85% at Cost Plus. Pretty good.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Re: Lindt offering different bars in the UK

If SeventyPercent's reviews are to be trusted--and I think they are--Lindt vends some different bars in the UK. For instance, Martin Christy gave high praise to the US version of the Lindt 85% bar, while Alex Rast disliked the UK Lindt 85% and despaired that the UK didn't have access to the version sold in the States. (The reviews come up in a search right now, but for some reason you can't access them. Must be a database bug...)

A few years ago I was determined to experience the UK 85% for myself and wrote to Lindt about it. They never responded. My attempts to acquire a UK Lindt 85% have been utterly fruitless. Ah well. I remain puzzled by Lindt's practice of vending slightly different bars in the UK and the rest of the world.

Re: best dark bars

If you like:

creaminess/cocoa butter, low carb content: Hachez 88%
    sweetness: Green & Black's 85%, Endangered Species 88%, or Scharfen Berger 82%
    rich cacao flavor: Rapunzel 85%, Alter Eco Blackout 85%
    very strong cacao flavor, low carb content: Lindt 85% US version

My sister believes Michel Cluizel's 85% is an ideal marriage of creaminess and flavor. It is, however, expensive and hard to find. It's also much sweeter than my own ideal, but it might appeal to many.

I remain smitten by Theo's discontinued Venezuela 91%. I hope they can access those delightful beans again someday.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Someone mentioned the Hachez earlier - yuck! I find that one way too bitter and burned. Feodora (German) is quite nice. I'm partial to Lindt myself, but if there's a good Eastern European/Balkan food import store near you, I suggest the KRAS 77 or 88% (Croatian brand.)

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I might be remembering worng. It may have been the 90% Lindt. I thought ti was 95% from Walgreens though.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

It's interesting to read different reactions to the same bar. I know people who love and crave the Hachez 88%. The first time I encountered it I found it bitter. A year later, I found it creamy and the flavor pleasant. Now that several years have passed, I find it creamy but so bland and low on actual cacao flavor that there's barely a reason to consume it.

I wish like mad I could locate a 95% bar in the US. I've been searching and hoping to no avail. If anyone finds one available online, please post a link!

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liss View Post
    It's interesting to read different reactions to the same bar. I know people who love and crave the Hachez 88%. The first time I encountered it I found it bitter. A year later, I found it creamy and the flavor pleasant. Now that several years have passed, I find it creamy but so bland and low on actual cacao flavor that there's barely a reason to consume it.
    I think what you're describing might be attributed to your evolving -- dare I say, desensitized by constant stimulation of cocoa? -- taste buds.

I'm probably about to get desensitized to Lindt 90% as well: my wife just called to tell me that the Lindt outlet had 90% bars in stock (a rare occurrence), and she bought as many as would fit in the cart. That's one hundred twenty bars. Those should last me a good long while...I hope!

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyanne View Post
    Lidl and Aldi do lovely 81% and 85% brands.
    I tried the 85% bar from Aldi and it was surprisingly good. I prefer it over the Lindt bars in that range, as it's creamier and less dry.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast