Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good DARK Chocolate? page 2

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    Green & Blacks has milk powder in it; milk makes me break out. I like the Dagoba 83% and the Scharffen-Berger 82%. The SB is softer. I also noticed that regular dark chocolate tastes too sweet. I never thought my sweet tooth would change!
    Isn't it amazing? I was having a cappuccino at Starbucks yesterday, and decided to sprinkle a dusting of cocoa on top, not realizing it was really sweet cocoa. I was amazed how sugary it tasted...it's like I could taste every tiny molecule of sucrose! So glad I didn't dump a lot on top!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I've found 2 I LOVE: Lindt 95% and Ghiradelli 100%. With the Lindt, it's kinda like a Hershey's Dark was to me at one point: dark, but still on the sweet side. It has a slight nuttiness and a fairly creamy texture for a bar with so little sugar. The Ghiradelli is my favorite. I got them as baking discs (or whatever you call them) and it was a 2 lb bag for $3-4. It has a fruitiness and an almost coffee flavor to it. I love them.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I will have to try the Ghiradelli 100%. Sounds yummy!
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you got a different product than I did. I found Ghirardelli 100% as a thin bar, looking like a normal eating bar, but it was way too bitter. Cost Plus 99% is far superior.

Laguz is offline Member
    The best dark chocolate I have found (and tried) so far has been the Endangered Species 88% chocolate bars. I don't know how widely available they are (I haven't seen any mention of them in my skim of this thread), but I usually find them next to Dagoba and Green & Black's. Their 72% w/ cocoa nibs and 72% w/ espresso beans are really good, too.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Valrhona Le Noir 85% is good and very low in sugar (Trader Joe's carries it at the registers). When I first tried it, it seemed very unsweet, but now I love it. The texture is great- t's not too waxy, crumbly or dry. Scharffen Berger also makes a very good 82% bar.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Unfortunately, we don't have a Trader Joe's here. I'm in the midwest US, and I think the closest would be Denver (6 hours away). I might try the endangered species 88%, because I know that i can get that through our co-op.

queen_sheba, i'm having a hard time putting two and two together. are you saying that i should look for a higher fat content per serving to ensure that there isn't added "reduced fat cocoa powder"? how would i know that the higher fat content isn't because of the lower sugar content?

mayness is offline Senior Member
    My very favorite, if you can find it, is Hachez 88%. My grocery store stopped carrying it though. =[

Endangered Species 88% is pretty good (and comes in a bag of individually-wrapped squares which is nice).

The Ghirardelli 85%(?) is good too.

I wasn't a big fan of the Dagoba in that range.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Unfortunately, we don't have a Trader Joe's here. I'm in the midwest US, and I think the closest would be Denver (6 hours away). I might try the endangered species 88%, because I know that i can get that through our co-op.

queen_sheba, i'm having a hard time putting two and two together. are you saying that i should look for a higher fat content per serving to ensure that there isn't added "reduced fat cocoa powder"? how would i know that the higher fat content isn't because of the lower sugar content?
    hmmm..all excellent questions. I just know that the 85% G&B is 60g of fat in the 100g bar. The 70% one is about 40g (ish? i think - but certainly lower!)

the higher fat content is due to the higher cocoa butter content...i suspect.

higher fat doesn't equal no crappy cocoa powder. It's not even a "quality brand" thing.

My 2.60 bar of 77% "designer" chocolate is;

cocoa mass, sugar, fat-reduced cocoa powder (12%)

The cheapo 85% from the co-op is 1.09 and has no cocoa powder ( i don't think anyway!)
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I've found 2 I LOVE: Lindt 95% and Ghiradelli 100%. With the Lindt, it's kinda like a Hershey's Dark was to me at one point: dark, but still on the sweet side.
    I don't think Lindt makes a 95% dark chocolate. Certainly not in bar form. 99%, 90%, 85%, 70%, and beyond that who cares?

Anyway, I'm a Lindt fan. There are many other brands I have yet to try which I might like more, but for my money the Lindt 90% bar is hard to beat. "Chocolate, cocoa butter, cocoa powder, sugar, natural bourbon vanilla beans". No cruddy soy lecithin, and only 0.75g sugar per square.

Walmart sells them for $1.99/bar now. Though my local Walmart is just a few miles away from Lindt's USA headquarters, so maybe it's cheaper there than elsewhere? Last time I was at Walmart I bought their remaining inventory of the 90% dark...around 24 bars I believe. Last time I was at the Lindt outlet when they had 90% bars on sale 12-for-$12, I bought as many as I thought would fit in my pantry.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast