Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top 3 Challenges When Going Primal... page

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Your Top 3 Challenges When Going Primal...

Primal Fuel
    I'd be interested to know, what were the top 3 challenges you faced (are facing) when making the transition to a Primal lifestyle?

Was it giving up a particular food, like bread or pasta? Was it breaking some destructive lifestyle behavior? Was it something simple, like finding a suitable Primal snack?

Then, what did you find worked for you? What were the solutions to your problems?

If going Primal was a breeze for you what do you perceive the biggest hurdles to be for beginners?

I'd love for you to elaborate but I'd be happy with just a simple list of your three things. Big thanks in advance.

localad is offline Senior Member
    The Breakfast Question.
    The Bread Question.
    The Fat Question.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    1. Eating out and visiting family. This is more of a willpower issue than an actual lack of suitable food.
    2. Having to buy special ingredients such as coconut flour online rather than at a shop. I can no longer do all of my grocery shopping in an ordinary supermarket.
    3. A big issue for me is having people challenge my way of eating and start to spout lots of CW crap when they see me tucking into fat and meat. I always correct them of course, but it is irritating.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    1. bread
    2. ease of eating. relates to the bread thing, i have to cook most foods i want to eat now
    3. trying to give up diet soda, still working on that one

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mark!

(1) Eating out - especially Asian restaurants. Sneaky wheat-containing soy sauce in lots of things... in fact, wheat is ubiquitous, and a lot of questions have to be asked of the poor waitstaff in all types of restaurants in order to figure out what's wheat-free.

(2) Learning to cook meat (I'm transitioning from vegetarianism).

(3) Scheduling for cooking from scratch, instead of relying on quick packaged goods.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    1) Packing lunch (until I started using Romaine Lettuce as wraps)
    2) Finding where to get coconut oil/ almond meal and other primal foods not commonly found.
    3) Having to pick out grains in food that I kinda had to eat (scraping meat/cheese/sauce off the pasta in lasagna, scooping rice out of soup, etc.)

other than that it's been pretty much easy and perfect for me

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    1) Cost. Let's be honest, buying meat these days isn't cheap, especially if you're in an area where farms and cowpooling aren't really possible. And even if people buy supermarket fare and then supplement, the cost still isn't that much different.
    2) Relating to the first. For some of the younger/bigger guys especially, the amount of food needed on a daily basis for active people can get to be fairly significant.. especially if the protein amounts in the body are to be optimal.
    3) Cooking can start to take a good chunk of time too if you're new to everything and unsure of how to optimize your time.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    1) eating meals other people prepare
    2)eating enough. I'm a youngish male, fairly active, recovering vegetarian. Primal foods are so satisfying that if I go by hunger signals alone, I do not eat enough
    3) seeing the big picture, realizing that one meal/slip-up doesn't matter. Primal is about the long haul.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    2)eating enough. I'm a youngish male, fairly active, recovering vegetarian. Primal foods are so satisfying that if I go by hunger signals alone, I do not eat enough
    That's pretty much my predicament in a nutshell. Couple that with cost and you have a two-pronged troublemaker.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    1. Cooking
    2. Trying not to get even MORE judgmental of people who are doing it wrong
    3. Despairing for humanity (see #2)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast