Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Top 3 Challenges When Going Primal... page 4

svelting is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Very new to primal -- probably just had my first 100% primal day.

1. Eating enough: I'm coming off a restrictive low-fat VLC plan and find that I'm satisfied with less food than seems to be primal/recommended. I'm working my way up gradually to the recommended levels. At least I've already gone through the "low-carb flu" and the starchy- and sugary-carb "homesickness"

2. Just thinking about lifting heavy things and sprinting: I don't think of myself as disciplined enough to push myself on these and to be consistent. All in good time, I guess. Do the food first and gradually work in more moving my body.

3. Getting good quality sleep and enough of it (hoping eating more real food and moving more will make a difference here)

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    For me, the transition was pretty easy. But I made the change because I feel that SAD was destroying my health and quality of life. I've always been normal weight (slender-ish) but I developed an autoimmune disease. Once I read enough to link autoimmune diseases to leaky gut vis a vis grains/grain materials, it was all over but the crying.

Still, my 3 biggest challenges:

1) Getting enough iron. I mistakenly correlate protein sources as iron sources. Hmph. On SAD, I got my iron through fortified sources. Now, I have had to adjust my PB diet to almost require red meat once a day. Not always the easiest thing. I probably average 5 to 6 servings a week.

2) Snacks. I don't eat fruit, but a little munchy here and there would be nice. I think I eat too many pork rinds as a result. I've taken to eating a full-size carrot once or twice a day. Snacks on a recent 2k mile road trip were difficult.

3) Cost. I live alone and I make a decent living but I think this WOE would be cost prohibitive if I had a family and/or I was on a more meager budget.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1. My sweet tooth. It has subsided and changed and mellowed, but not disappeared. I remain tempted by pears, dark chocolate, Gran Marnier, etc. Not much by coke and cookies, though, actually.
    2. Alcohol. Everyone knows moderation and really cutting back the booze is best, but it's a personal challenge. Nothing to do with PB in a way, but a commitment to health has meant a big reduction in drinking.
    3. Social interactions. Some of the "wow you look great" conversations go great, others not so great. I'm tired of it actually. It's not my problem, not PB's problem, it's the world's problem, but it's still a problem.

However it has been really a breeze relatively speaking. I am well on the way from "ooff" to "buff" and it hasn't been that hard. Tonight I had a bunch of broiled skirt steak fairly rare, a small amount of peeled roasted potatoes and onions. Didn't have any veg in the fridge, so sue me. I was so happy and satisfied. Love the PB, love it. Not gonna quit or backslide anytime soon.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    1. The planning and time to cook most meals. It is difficult to find quality food near to work, and I used to be able to pick up a quick bite for lunch if I didn't bring from home. Now I have to plan, plan, plan or feel guilty for eating poor quality food.
    -solution--plan, plan, plan
    2. Miss the easy, familiar breaksfast of cereal and milk. I love variety, and I am not a big fan of eating the same thing all of the time. However, I always loved cereal and milk for breakfast. I could eat Grape-nuts or Uncle Sam's every day.
    --solution--still working on it. Eggs and higher protein breakfasts keep me full longer, but take more time and are not routine yet.
    4. Accepting that saturated fat is good. I have a degree in health education and have followed CW forever. Olive oil is good-bacon grease is bad. It is hard to really change that dynamic.
    --Good Calories, Bad Calories was helpful. But again, it is still a work in progress.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    1. Having to cut back on carbs more than I would like. No biggie.
    That's about it. BUT . . . I am semi-retired so not much stress to push me to cheat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    1. getting over many years of ingrained CW that fat is bad
    2. having teenagers in the house who aren't on board. One is half way there, the other is a devoted carb fiend. I still buy some sourdough or rye bread, tortillas, breakfast cereal, rice. Granted he's eating a lot less of those and not complaining.
    3. incorporating all the PB laws...in particular sleeping enough, dealing with stress, and play.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    1. Having to touch/cut/cook raw meat (I'm a former vegetarian).
    2. Having to learn to cook (in my 40s!).
    3. My entire schedule and daily routine had to shift around to accommodate all the time I now spend in the kitchen.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    1. My expectations. I've been doing this for a few months, and have lost about 8-10 lbs. I was hoping I'd have lost 3 times that much. And yet I can't quit, since I can RUN now (not just plodding and jogging along unhappily), my aches are disappearing, my sugar highs and lows, PMS, headaches and more--gone. And I feel great. I don't feel panicked if I don't eat...sometimes I just forget! That has NEVER happened before. I'm losing fat & gaining strength & muscle--but not in the miraculous, immediate transformation I was hoping for.
    2. Chocolate. Could be contributing to the above mentioned slow weight loss. Or maybe it's what's making me stronger & faster.....hmmm.....
    3. What to eat as a family. Steaks or chicken w/salad and veggies works for dinners. Packing lunches is frustrating. I tried making this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/puerco-pibil-recipe/ and it was amazing. I threw frozen meat from our grassfed cow in the crockpot, and a few hours later, dinner!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    1) Getting caught out of the house when hungry, food courts have nothing that is primal
    2) Overthinking things, getting caught up with ratios, O6 - O3, fat/protein/carbs, minerals
    3) Packed lunches for work

That being said, I love being primal, will never eat the Standard Australian Diet again and do not find that willpower is ever an issue, only convenience.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1. Having to explain and justify why i won't eat certain foods to people who have no knowledge about nutrition / dealing with the weird looks when I decline a piece of cake or something and just sit there instead. Still don't have a good solution, I just live with it, and some people are starting to remember lol.

2. I recently moved out from my parents because they decided to move to Germany, so now I have a food budget. I'm spending way more money than they think I should, because I eat a lot and meat is expensive. My go to veggies are carrots and potatoes which are dirt cheap, but I'm just not satisfied without 1-2 pounds of meat a day. And then I spend some more on good supplements. There's not much I can do, except for calorie restriction lol.. I just try to spend less money on other things. Maybe it'll cut into my savings, but eating grains isn't worth it for any possible savings.

3. In addition to cooking times I tend to spend a LOT of time lurking on this forum and reading blogs and scientific studies and other stuff instead of doing my homework or something productive (I never really learn anything new anymore tbh). If I had solutions for these things they wouldn't really be problems, now would they ?

I don't think beginners have any big problems transitioning. They just want some encouragement and recognition, maybe some pity ^^. Theres no problem with this though, imo.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast