Thread: Trapezius pain from car wreck page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Trapezius pain from car wreck

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks,
    I have what seems to be a pain left over from a car wreck 4 or 5 months ago. If I sit at my desk at work for more than a couple hours (my desk is slightly too high and my chair won't go any further up, causing my shoulders to hunch), or especially if I driving for a long stretch, I start getting muscle pain where my neck joins my body, roughly at the top of the trapezius. If I don't take all the weight off that shoulder for a while and roll my shoulders all the way back (creating a swayback), the pain starts shooting down into my biceps.) I've tried stretching exercises and those yield me MAYBE 10 min relief before the pain's back. It goes away if I do anything to remove the bad position, after a while, and it's worse if I'm running low on sleep. It was paired with iliac crest pain, but I've somehow managed to make that go away. How do I make this pain stop? Don't say stop driving or get a taller chair. I have to drive to work (doesn't matter what hand(s) I have on the wheel), and it's the desk drawer stopping my chair from being tall enough.
    Help, please!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    a good massage therapist (+ muscle relaxers if I get really pinched in my neck) works for me. Just had 1.5 hour massage yesterday! Regular massage can do *wonders* for keeping muscles from tensing.

edited to clarify: I carry tension in my neck/upper shoulders area. I've always had issues dealing with every day stress and I can get so tense that one turn of my head and I'm immobilized and bed ridden until massive doses of muscle relaxers loosen me up. I finally signed up for massage therapy and between that and regular meditation, I've been neck pain free for months. I did an hour a week for a few weeks (but who can afford to keep that up?!)...then an hour every other week and now I'm at an hour or 1.5 hours once a month to keep me loose.

(obviously have an MD rule out any serious issues)
    Last edited by kennelmom; 11-04-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I already did. She's calling it a whiplash holdover and taught me the stretches and told me to go get massages. I've been doing that, just curious if there's anything else I could do.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome