Thread: Food Industry Shill page

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/selfs-2009-healthy-food-awards-504858/

Guess which companies will have ads in upcoming issues of Self Magazine?

"And the winners are...54 scrumptious, waist-friendly foods that will change your body and thrill your taste buds."

They'll change your body all right. Just not the way you intended.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

DaveFish,

There are no words to describe quite how this article made me feel. Kinda like a cat coughing up a hairball.

:-X

Thanks for posting it, though. It's good to know how people are being brainwashed, and what we're up against.

(Going out back to eat grass now)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Best Bacon = Turkey Bacon? TURKEY BACON? Is that some kind of sick joke? I'd rather not eat bacon than debase it with turkey bacon...

I love how the "best healthy foods" all come in bags, boxes and jars. Not from trees, dirt and pastures. And people actually dupe themselves into thinking they eat healthily when they have the best bagel with the best jam for breakfast...

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

grandma is offline Member

@hannahc I had the same thought about the bacon. I'ts clear that the article is to appease the advertisers. Farmers can't afford advertising.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

[quote]

Your ideal body starts in your kitchen. Having nutritious, tasty food on hand is key to conquering cravings, feeling energized, defeating disease and dropping pounds permanently. But with roughly *47,000 products crammed* on grocery store shelves, it's tough to know what to *toss* into your cart.
    </blockquote>

"Products" being the operative word here. Would *real food* be tossed into the cart? All that packaged cr@p needs to be tossed alright.

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

These cinnamon treats are chewy, sweet and huge enough to satisfy a monster-sized cookie desire. Nuke a cookie for 30 seconds for a warm, gooey mouthful.
    </blockquote>

Yup, nothing says "healthy" like a warm, gooey mouthful of a microwaved (and apparently ginormous) cookie.

/facepalm

Mick Guest

[quote]

"And the winners are...54 scrumptious, waist-friendly foods that will change your body and thrill your taste buds."
    </blockquote>

This is only a rough look - I can&#39;t really waste my life reading the blurb on those awful products in detail!

But it looks to me as if the panel has actually grasped that sugar is bad for you. (I think I saw a low-sugar jam there.)

They still have the low-fat obsession, of course. How long will it take for the penny to drop at these magazines? (Or perhaps even if it does they&#39;ll be reluctant to tell their readers, as you suggest.) But they do now realize sugar is pretty bad.

The thing is, as I understand it, most low-fat foods are loaded with sugar (or fructose from maize or agave plants, or whatever). That&#39;s how they get them to taste of something. But if people are going to eat low-fat and low-sugar where are their calories going to come from? And what is their food going to taste like?

Answer to question one: from bingeing

Answer to question two: like cardboard

I say "like cardboard" although "diet food" can hardly get any worse, anyway. What sort of lunatic would prefer a sweet thin sour industrialized mayonnaise substitute to the real thing anyway?
    [quote]

They&#39;ll change your body all right. Just not the way you intended
    </blockquote>

Well, yes.

I suppose the only ray of hope here is that since none of the diet food actually can work it must eventually become unsaleable. In the meantime I suppose it will make people fatter, give them dental caries, make them more liable to degenerative diseases and cancer, sap their energy, and - as if that were not enough - shrink their brains:

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/blog/?p=415

But despite all that, they won&#39;t actually enjoy eating these "food-like substances".

Me? I just had breakfast - two rashers of bacon, scrambled eggs with plenty of butter, and steamed asparagus with melted butter. It was great. I floated some double cream on top of my coffee over the back of a warm silver spoon, too. That way I get to drink strong hot black coffee "through" that cream layer. That&#39;s the sort of thing that would be absolutely verboten to SELF readers. The loss is theirs.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You are right about many low fat foods substituting sugar for the fat. And not just any sugar, of course, but our old "friend," HFCS! A double whammy of sugar s***.

I&#39;m now getting low fat salad dressing for me mum, it uses gum thickener to keep a semblance of full fat dressing. I&#39;m OK with that.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Sour Patch Watermelon? Only on our planet can this be considered a "healthy" food.