Thread: studies on barefoot ankle stability? page

melodious is offline Senior Member

studies on barefoot ankle stability?

Hey everyone,
    I'm in an office environment every day, and obviously have to wear shoes. For out-of-work activities, I'm pretty much always barefoot or wear my vibrams. (vibrams are for restaurants, where it's a health code violation to go barefoot)
    I had ankle surgery last year on my left, because of a congenital problem with the tendons. I'm looking for any kind of study that I could use to justify wearing vibrams to work. Honestly, I think I stand a better chance of not having surgery on the right ankle if I wear them, but I feel I need some kind of proof of benefit, if I get challenged.
    So, I'm looking on studies saying ankle stability in general or tendon stability specifically is improved through barefoot walking.
    Help me?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Can't you just lie and say your doctor recommended you wear them? You're not a kid, doubt theyd ask for a written note..

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member
    Today's post actually mentions just such a study: http://bjsportmed.com/content/29/4/2...ports;29/4/242

Compared to barefoot data (position error 1.97 degrees), foot position error was 107.5% poorer with athletic footwear when untaped (absolute position error 4.11 degrees), and 58.1% worse when taped (position error 3.13 degree
    s).

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My new Vivo Barefoot boots arrived today, and I'm wearing them right now. Could you try that approach? Certainly not dress boots, but they look quite conventional.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think it probably depends on your office. When I was in the military, we had to get a "tennis shoe waiver" from a physician that would allow a person to wear tennis shoes around the office instead of combat boots. Maybe if you COULD get your physician to write such a "prescription," then it would be allowed?

Carrie

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Yeah.. just ask your doctor....
    Although if you work in a place where you need safety toes, VFFs are just a bad idea.

Until they make steel toe VFF's anyway..... muhahahhha!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Eric.
    I'm wearing them today to work (It's Friday) and no one has commented on them (only the second time ever that I've worn my VFFs for a full day and no one has said anything...and this is my second pair!), so maybe I'm over-sensitive...
    I'm so spoiled now that wearing "nice" shoes feels like strapping wooden boards to the bottoms of my feet. :P

So, the upshot is, despite the more formal office, I'm going to go for the comfy footwear, and if I'm told to desist, I'll get a doctor's note.
    (Just not on days when I have a client meeting, as they just don't go with my woman's business suits...)