Thread: Leg Muscle Balance page

Beth Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying hard to adopt the Primal Lifestyle and I love it. I especially LOVE sprinting and lifting heavy things. I have developed knee pain (mainly walking down stairs and after sitting - although it does hurt a little to run) and went to an ortho guy to make sure I'm not hurting my knees. He explained my knees look good but it appears the problem is over-developed quads and under-developed hamstring muscles. Did this happen to Grok? Other Grokettes? Any suggestions on a good balancing exercise/plan for me? Thank you!

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Deadlifts help with hamstring development.

Unfortunately there aren't too many movements that specifically focus on hamstrings that cut out quads.

The closest I can think of is... deadlifts

-Sean

NZPixie is offline Junior Member

Avoid cycling. If you use an eliptical make sure you go both forward and backwards. Deadlifts are good as previously mentioned. Also Swiss ball hamstring curls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czf-1snzG2c

These are one of my favorite exercises.

If may be worth getting a professional to check your technique if you have been doing squats. You should NOT feel much through your quads when doing a squat. You should feel it mostly through your hamstrings and glute muscles. Most people cannot squat correctly until they have been taught. Knee problems often come from weak muscles around the hip, your glute medius is often implicated. Doing 'clams' will help, as well as being aware of your knee position and not allowing your knees to roll inwards.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Deadlifts are indeed da bomb.

It's a little too early to tell, but I do believe I see a good change in my hams and butt.

THAT would be a wonderful thing!

62shelby Guest

Agree with the Pixie, the knee issues may be coming from the hip, tight hip flexors will misalign my knees every time. are you stretching much? you may find if you pay attention to doing some lunge type stretches for the hip flexors as well as some hip opening stretches it may help to give you your knees back ;0)

meatman is offline Junior Member

Stiff-Leg Deadlifts

Romanian Deadlifts

Long Stride Lunges

Good Mornings

Glute-Ham Raise - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJC8I...eature=related

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Funny you use the word "balance." I wonder if balancing on one leg bent at 45 to 60 degrees for 30-60 seconds at a time would help. Or plain old wall squats. I don't know, just a suggestion.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Are you squatting as part of your heavy lifting? If so, bad squatting technique could definitely be a cause of knee pain. Stronglifts.com has a good primer on squat technique. Make sure thats not it, can be a simple and easy fix.

If thats not it, the muscular balance problem may not just be "hamstrings v quadriceps", it may be a posterior chain v anterior chain problem. Actually I'm skeptical there can be just an imbalance between two isolated muscle groups. I'm with the meatman, you may benefit from bringing your posterior chain up to par with your anterior chain. All those exercise he suggested will be good for the posterior chain. Even low-bar squats will be great too. Doing post-chain work should bring up any lacking auxiliary muscles in the imbalance.