Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change eating habits page

RezH is offline Senior Member

How to change eating habits

Shop Now
    Friend of mine, female, is 50 lbs overweight. She has been working out four days a week for about six months now, some kind of aerobic Crossfitty stuff, and she says she is pouring in sweat after every session. She hasn't lost a single pound. I know her diet is bad, yet no matter what I tell her, she always eats the same way.

Is this psychological? A love of food? I am actually kind of stressed out trying to get through to her, and ready to quit. I know she doesn't have to eat primally like me in order to lose weight, but she is pretty much a slave to junk and fast food. Her family situation contributes to this, as her kids will only eat pizza and KFC, so that stuff is always around. She also likes to stay up late and sleep in on weekends.

How to get through? It's tough for me, because I go to lunch with her daily and try to resist making comments on the bad choices she makes.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I think this is a problem a lot of people today face, for some reason we as a society got the idea that we can eat like sh*t as long as we work out and it will even out in the end. Honestly your situation sucks, but you can't make the change for her, she needs to decide to do it for herself and is using the kids as an excuse to keep food like that around. There was a discussion on here a while back about kids and dessert, basically it boils down to the fact that you are the parent and they are the kid....if they don't "like" to eat anything other than crap, well tough; would you rather have a healthy happy family in the long run or a unhealthy happy family in the short run?
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    for some reason we as a society got the idea that we can eat like sh*t as long as we work out and it will even out in the end.
    agreed...this is a complete misnomer that too many people believe. i'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do. adventure is right: she will have to come to it on her own. if she genuinely wants to change she will realize it and probably ask for help, but if you offer up unsolicited diet advice you'll probably just make her angry. all you can really do is be an example.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It really is a matter of her wanting to do it. "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." I was 250 lbs and MISERABLE. I lived this way for years and nothing changed... until I wanted it to change and took the steps I needed to fix my problem.

Really, it has to be her decision.

Now, it could come down to a situation like my mom. She'd always complain about her weight and I'd give her advice. Eventually I got tired of her complaining and my advice going unheeded, and my response became "I've told you how to fix it. You just have to do it." Today... she does it.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Eventually I got tired of her complaining and my advice going unheeded, and my response became "I've told you how to fix it. You just have to do it." Today... she does it.
    Nice! I hope she's feeling good/seeing results. It's so satisfying to win people over, even if it is slow and painful.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Why not give her a copy of Marks book? Or even better for lazy people is the abridged audio book. If that doesn't do it, then nothing will.

I'll tell you a fact of life, people don't change unless they truly want to. No "outside" help makes any different UNTIL that person decides to make a change for themselves. It also drags the "helper" down.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Ah, yes, and on the parenting note, that is just a big excuse. Its laughable that a parent can blame their diet on the kids cos all they eat is junk. As the parent you say what goes and what doesn't. If the kids don't agree (which they wont!) let them go hungry or somehow get they own money to buy their own food.

Not only did I go primal, but my kid did too. And it wasn't easy for him, but he has adapted. He still likes to eat junk/sugar but that is his 20% so its all good.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I say absolutely nothing unless asked or unless I endure chronic complaining from friends about their weight while stuffing a ding-dong in their face. My mom just called in fact and was telling me about her arthritis and her sinus issues. I did suggest she cut the dairy out to see what happens as far as her sinuses go and see what happens. Dairy can make a cold worse too. She knows I don't eat grains and I throws CW wisdom at me so I don't bother having the discussion with her. I have a niece who is obese and has had seizures all her life. Could very well be linked to grains and sugar. My niece is 12 so one can't expect her to evaluate this possibility on her own but if my sister isn't willing then the point of discussion is futile. Unless of course one enjoys beating their head against a brick wall. Much like my friends, my sister believes I don't have weight issues because it is just the way I am. One of those people who can eat what they want whenever they want. There is absolutely no attention paid to what she eats that I do not and will not. They would much rather believe that I lock myself in a closet and gorge myself with bread and pastries.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Ah, yes, and on the parenting note, that is just a big excuse. Its laughable that a parent can blame their diet on the kids cos all they eat is junk. As the parent you say what goes and what doesn't. If the kids don't agree (which they wont!) let them go hungry or somehow get they own money to buy their own food.

Not only did I go primal, but my kid did too. And it wasn't easy for him, but he has adapted. He still likes to eat junk/sugar but that is his 20% so its all good.
    +10000

same thing in my house. My kids are 80%. They wanted to eat school lunch because all their friends did. It lasted 2 days. I was scared to let them out of fear that they would like it. Part of me knew they wouldn't but you never know.

britt007 is offline Member
    Now, it could come down to a situation like my mom. She'd always complain about her weight and I'd give her advice. Eventually I got tired of her complaining and my advice going unheeded, and my response became "I've told you how to fix it. You just have to do it." Today... she does it. [/QUOTE]

Ah, I wish my parents understood the importance of what I'm doing. If I was still living with them, being primal would be near impossible (although, my mom started eating even more veggies so that is one step in the right direction). My mom is dealing with osteo(along with back fractures that are healing) after having a baby and breastfeeding for the first time (had my baby brother at the age of 42). No family history of osteo, so I think its related to the breastfeeding. I know that going primal would help her body better heal and absorb what she needs! Also, my dad had a weird heart symptom that docs never found an answer for...and now he is on beta blockers with no answer. He is stubborn, also gets the occasional heartburn, has sinus issues...All of which I know could be helped by at least eating more veggies and cutting back on his sugar and grains. I wouldn't even expect full primal eating...just something! *sigh* I hate watching people be sick and not taking initiative. Being sick with digestive problems is what led me here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast