Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IF and headache page 3

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I IFed last week for 20 hour and felt really good after that, had absolutely no headache. Yesterday. OTOH, I started having headaches after about 18 hours. I thought the headaches would go away after a few IFs, but doesn't look like it. Does your last meal before the IF have anything to do with it? My last meal was quite carby - lots of veggies. I would like to do this more often as I feel really energetic the day after the IF but I don't like the headaches that accompany the IFs.

nina_70 Guest

@maba - interesting you should bring this topic up again. I've done two more IF's since my last post and I got headaches both times (my last one this AM...the headache started an hour before I broke fast). The headache's have gotten a little better, but they're still there. I haven't paid attention to what I eat before I IF so I'll start doing that. I've seen several people mention on the forum that a high-fat meal is best before the IF, so maybe that's the key? I really like the effect these IF's have on my weight, but I hate the headaches.

Nina, I must confess my fat intake has been on the lower side off late - I'd run out of butter and CO, quelle horreur! But I got some y'day, so hopefully I'll start eating more fats. Also, having herbal/green tea seems to help a bit, but y'day I wanted to go w/o any tea. These IFs seem to have no effect on my weight but I feel all pumped up and energetic the following day. Although, I've been nibbling on and off today, SO NOT primal, must be the low amount of fat I ate at dinner last night (ate out). I hope your headaches get better. I'll experiment w/ more fat and update you on how I feel.

nina_70 Guest

Maba - I think I'll do the same (experiment w/ more fat prior to IF) and see if that helps...will let you know too & we can exchange notes. My next IF is probably next Monday.

Hopefully you won't have to go through the horror of running out of fat in the house again

Nina, I did a 23 hour IF today, no headaches at all. I did weights at 21 hours and felt really great. Decided to make tonight my 20% (goat + rice) and I'm feeling a bit bloated now but it was oh-so-good. So, I had lots of nuts, CO and cheese last night and I felt good all day but I was thinking of food most of the time probably because everyone around me was eating/offering me stuff or may be because it's that time of the month.

nina_70 Guest

Maba - awesome! OK...so my next fast I'm loading up on fats before the start. Thanks for sharing the results!

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I never did feel much headache during my IFs. I do sometimes feel dizzy after getting up, but it is mostly due to my low BP.

IF is generally better after a high fat meal. It primes the body to survive on fat.

nina_70 Guest

Maba - well, turns out I did an "accidental" mini-IF yesterday. No plans at all to do it...just happened that I was working real late, got busy and only had time for a piece of cheese for dinner. My last meal before the mini-IF was fairly high-fat and I DIDN'T have any headache this morning. It wasn't a strict IF (because of the cheese), but I'm really happy about the outcome. So, maybe high-fat is the answer here.

Arnand - Thanks for sharing. I do also sometimes get dizzy (I've always had very low BP...I'm generally around 90/60, 90/50 or so for resting BP). I think fat IS the answer!

Nina, Glad to know you didn't have any headache. I'm tempted to do a longer one now. But I've been nibbling all of today because of the carb-overload last night, have this constant feeling of wanting to munch on something all the time. Btw, I'm a low-BPer too, my numbers are very similar to yours

nina_70 Guest

Maba - I'm with you on the nibbling too! I had a piece of spouted bread this AM w/ my eggs & bacon. Not something I do very often, but every now and then when I get a real hankering for it. And...I've been having the munchies ever since. Argh! Just loaded up on fats for lunch...salad w/ bison burger, bacon drippings, nuts and avocado. So, hoping that will quench my munchies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123