Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Do what works for you" page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

"Do what works for you"

Shop Now
    We hear and say that around here pretty often.

I was just thinking though that although there are many ways to do something, is it safe to say that some ways are better/healthier than others? I think so.

For instance;

Talking in terms of total health and a little bit also on body composition.

- Some folks do well with some grain in their diets, by "do well" I mean they maintain body fat levels they're happy with, they have energy, and don't appear to have any health complications at least on the surface, but knowing what we know about grains (and legumes) is it safe to say that even people that do well, could do better or rather BE better off without grains/legumes in their diet? Is this something that can be argued or does it really truly come down to each individual?

- I don't think there's any arguing against a slower more methodical approach to losing body fat, rather than a quick and dirty way, but maybe there is? I would argue the first being healthier to both body and mind, the second one looks like it can put more stress on you psychologically and make you a slave to your body composition. The only acceptable time for quick fixes IMO would be for the seriously obese, just to get the ball rolling so to speak.

- Some fitness protocols appear to be better than others, but it's obviously still up to the individual to decide and I think in this particular area personal preference and what you actually LIKE/WANT to do is more important since you'll actually do it.

I've always wanted to do what is best for myself, and makes the most sense, and doesn't feel as though I'm taking two steps forward and one step back, but I'm met with a lot of resistance sometimes when I try to put forth similar principles to others. They always want to say "that works for you, but not for me" mostly when it comes to diet, but is that accurate? I mean sure, if you don't WANT to give up grains then including them "works for you" but does it really work for you, or is it holding you back?

I have always placed things in a "good, better, best" type of scheme. A salad from McDonald's is good (it's not), a salad from a restaurant is better, but a salad you make at home with your own ingredients and home made dressing is the best possible choice. Sometimes I feel folks want to argue against this, as is their right, but... I still feel I'm right. In that same token, the south beach diet may be good, the mediterranean diet might be better, but primal is best...

Maybe I'm just a little full of myself? I'd like not to think so, but maybe?

Thanks for your input, MDA.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I think one's motive for eating has a lot to do with what "works for" them. Since I don't have weight loss as my goal, I won't know if primal eating is actually working for me in the way I intend it to for another few decades, when I will hopefully be the last one standing, free of the afflictions that will inevitably plague my peers. I don't think weight loss is a measure of "working", unless that is the only objective. Weight Watchers is "working" for my sister, but she eats only mac and cheese, chicken tenders, and green beans to use up those WW points. So is it really working for her, even though she is seeing weightlosss? I think not.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    So is it really working for her, even though she is seeing weightlosss? I think not.
    That's kind of my point. I think in terms of being healthy (not skinny, low bf%, buffed, lean etc etc), you can't do much better than paleo/primal <--- but is this just a biased point of view?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    To me, the "do what works for you" that I say quite often doesn't mean "Do anything, and you'll be guaranteed to be healthy and reach your goals". I just mean that for some people, one method like Primal doesn't resonate in a way that makes it effortless (one of the key words on the front of the PB book!) so they STRUGGLE. If it's a struggle, they won't stick with it anyway.

As the extreme example, think of our resident Shrinking Violet. Primal is a daily-hourly-minute-by-minute struggle in misery for her. It's not because primal doesn't work, it's because primal is not the right solution at this point in her life for the problems that she individually is facing.

Also, no way-of-life is guaranteed to give you abundant health for 100 years. People manage to live a life of very poor health habits, and live long. Others live as perfectly as possible, and die young. That's why it's not worth struggling beyond reason or suffering beyond reason if a particular plan--including primal--isn't working for you.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    They always want to say "that works for you, but not for me" mostly when it comes to diet, but is that accurate? I mean sure, if you don't WANT to give up grains then including them "works for you" but does it really work for you, or is it holding you back?
    My response is : How do YOU know? I hear the "works for you but not for me" on a daily basis from someone riddled with health issues that DO invade my life and do make my own life harder but has NEVER tried to change the dietary ways.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Some folks do well with some grain in their diets, by "do well" I mean they maintain body fat levels they're happy with, they have energy, and don't appear to have any health complications at least on the surface, but knowing what we know about grains (and legumes) is it safe to say that even people that do well, could do better or rather BE better off without grains/legumes in their diet? Is this something that can be argued or does it really truly come down to each individual?
    In some cases, I do think it comes down to the individual. That being said, I think that everyone tends to make some tradeoffs when it comes to food and health; personally I choose not to fixate on grains/legumes, at least as far as other people are concerned. For example, I know someone who lives on a farm, grows her own vegetables, raises her own livestock, collects milk and eggs from her own animals, and yes -- eats grains. She grows biodynamically-farmed spelt, hand-grinds the grains, and bakes her own bread. I eschew grains, but then I also live in a city and end up eating some things that aren't so great, like pasteurized milk and cheese or mass-produced chickens. I guess I am saying, while I don't think that it's a great idea to regularly subject yourself to insulin surges and blood sugar crashes, my choices aren't 100% healthy, either, and I can't really see myself judging others.

And as lizch said, it only works if you can stick to it.

I don't think there's any arguing against a slower more methodical approach to losing body fat, rather than a quick and dirty way, but maybe there is? I would argue the first being healthier to both body and mind, the second one looks like it can put more stress on you psychologically and make you a slave to your body composition. The only acceptable time for quick fixes IMO would be for the seriously obese, just to get the ball rolling so to speak.
    This is a good article about that: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...t-for-you.html

That being said, when I was actually overweight, it was easy to shed pounds just by counting calories. I ate lots of rice cakes with apple butter, reduced fat Wheat Thins with Laughing Cow lite cheese, baked corn chips with salsa, and the like; those were my go-to snacks. For me personally, it's when I'm aiming to go from average to lean that I need to take more drastic measures. As far as "quick fixes" I think those are only appropriate if you need to make a weight class or do a bodybuilding competition or something -- basically, a reason why the weight loss could be temporary.

Some fitness protocols appear to be better than others, but it's obviously still up to the individual to decide and I think in this particular area personal preference and what you actually LIKE/WANT to do is more important since you'll actually do it.
    Completely agreed.

I believe that PB fitness is the absolute best protocol for general health and wellness. That being said it is not for me. First, I would love to play, move often, be physical in my everyday life, etc, but life just doesn't permit. I have a desk job and I'm a student. I'm sedentary when I'm not working out, and scheduled gym time is the only way I get exercise. Also I strongly prefer training where there is some sort of competition to motivate me, like running races or competing in boxing. Otherwise I'm not motivated at all. Is it better than being sedentary? I don't know. I say yes, though. And I'm frankly happier being lean, muscular, and physically capable.

I've always wanted to do what is best for myself, and makes the most sense, and doesn't feel as though I'm taking two steps forward and one step back, but I'm met with a lot of resistance sometimes when I try to put forth similar principles to others. They always want to say "that works for you, but not for me" mostly when it comes to diet, but is that accurate? I mean sure, if you don't WANT to give up grains then including them "works for you" but does it really work for you, or is it holding you back?
    I think part of the problem is that people don't want to make a lifestyle change. They want a discrete diet that you go on and then off. I've noticed on conventional fitness forums that extreme measures (i.e. HCG diet, replacing meals with shakes, PSMF) seem to appeal to people more than slow, moderate ones. Losing weight is easy. Weight maintenance is hard. People who keep the weight off in the long-term are considered statistical anomalies. Maintenance means that you are essentially working with no reward, change, or results. You're turning down birthday cake and breakfast donuts but the scale isn't going down, it stays the same. So I guess I am saying...when people say that PB doesn't "work" for them, is it really specific issues like grains? Or is it that they don't want to make a lifestyle change, period?

To me, PB is the easiest way to maintain your weight. You eat non-starchy veggies, meat, eggs, a little bit of berries/nuts/dairy, and you're good, you don't really have to think about it. I don't know how people can eat grains without counting calories. A serving of cereal, pasta, or rice is so tiny once you start measuring that it just isn't satisfying. If nothing else, I have no idea how people can maintain weight intuitively without severely limiting grains. But if they "need" their morning bowl of oatmeal and can eat PB otherwise, I think it's truly fine.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    That reminds me of part of an old ST song. (I'm pasting it here, not remembering the whole thign)

I was sitting in my room when my mom and my dad came in and they pulled up a chair and they sat down.
    They go:
    Mike, we need to talk to you.
    And I go:
    Okay what's the matter?
    They go:
    Me and your mom have been noticing lately that you've been having a lot of problems,
    And you've been going off for no reason and we're afraid you're going to hurt somebody,
    And we're afraid you're going to hurt yourself.
    So we decided that it would be in you're best interest if we put you somewhere
    Where you could get the help that you need.
    And I go:
    Wait, what are you talking about, WE decided!?
    MY best interests?! How do you know what MY best interest is?
    How can you say what MY best interest is? What are you trying to say, I'M crazy?
    When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches,
    I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities?! So how can you say I'M crazy?

They say they're gonna fix my brain
    Alleviate my suffering and my pain
    But by the time they fix my head
    Mentally I'll be dead

I'm not crazy - Institutionalized
    You're the one who's crazy - Institutionalized
    You're driving me crazy - Institutionalized
    They stuck me in an institution,
    Said it was the only solution,
    to give me the needed professional help,
    to protect me from the enemy - Myself

Doesn't matter, I'll probably get hit by a car anyways.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    To me, the "do what works for you" that I say quite often doesn't mean "Do anything, and you'll be guaranteed to be healthy and reach your goals". I just mean that for some people, one method like Primal doesn't resonate in a way that makes it effortless (one of the key words on the front of the PB book!) so they STRUGGLE. If it's a struggle, they won't stick with it anyway.
    Excellent point -- this verbalizes pretty much what I mean whenever I say "Hey if it works for you." It's easy to forget that the readers here are generally going to be people who feel primal works for them, or at least could work for them. But there's still a giant proportion of people out there who, even if they believe the science and rationale behind this, just won't be able to buy into this enough to succeed -- undercut by force of habit, social pressure, etc. Definitely something to keep in mind when talking to forum newbies vs. more seasoned folks.

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Also, no way-of-life is guaranteed to give you abundant health for 100 years.
    Yep. We touched on this in my journal the other day. Sure, this is at least in theory a pay now for food so you don't pay later for medical bills approach. But of course you never know what you've prevented, and not everything will automagically be prevented. Some of us will still fall prey to chronic health issues later in life. But at least we're maximizing the chances of things being good, I think. It's a gamble, sort of like health insurance that actually reduces your risks.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Some of us will still fall prey to chronic health issues later in life. But at least we're maximizing the chances of things being good, I think. It's a gamble, sort of like health insurance that actually reduces your risks.
    Yes, this is how I feel about breastfeeding too. Doesn't guarantee a 100% healthy baby, but if your baby gets sick, at least you can let go of some guilt. At the trivial end of the scale, one of the benefits of breastfeeding is supposed to be better tooth and palate development, reducing the need for orthodontics. Despite breastfeeding my last two for 2 and 3 years respectively, they still have huge teeth in little jaws. But at least I did everything I could
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks for the input guys, valid points all around.

I think that to ME when I’m met with resistance this is what it translates to in my mind: “I hear ya, and yeah your way is better, but I’m still going to take this less-than-optimal road and see where it takes me. I’m going to ride this ‘mediocrity’ thing out, see how it goes… thanks though!”

Obviously those aren’t their words, but that’s how I interpret them. A friend of mine was sort of primal for about half a second, decided she couldn’t hack it, and went back to a CW “healthy” diet of whole grains, low fat this and that, tread-milling it, etc etc, Jillian fucking Michaels (my friend wants to look like her) and it was just like a bit of a blow to me, or to my ego, who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast