Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phobias page

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member

Phobias

Shop Now
    I work at a used dvd/cd/game store, where customers come in and sell us their old stuff and we recase/clean/resurface and resell it.

Well, the other day someone came in with some dvds. I checked a few, and was noticing some pretty gross looking insect shedding or something. Then I found a live roach. I closed the case really fast so it didn't get out, threw in in the customer's box and got him to come up to the register. I stuttered(!) that we couldn't take his stuff because of the condition and left it at that. I was shaking, and was hard of breath, and had to wash my hands like ten times.

I never knew I had any kind of phobia. I can handle spiders no problem. Trash has maggots? Ok, cool. But that roach effed me up.

It got me thinking... why should I react like this? I suppose there could be an evolutionary reason for it, keeping me away from disease I suppose, but really Grok would have eaten insects all the time... so I don't know.

Anyway, don't really have a question, but it seemed like an interesting topic.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The things people typically have phobias of, it is evolutionary. Heights, spiders, snakes... things that were a danger to us (and still can be.)

Interesting thing about blood. I know a few people who have blood phobias. Some aren't phobic of other people's blood, but will pass out seeing their own. But an interesting thing about blood, the color red makes us alert. That's why it's used as a "warning" color. I learned about this when I was road tripping a lot and needed to find tricks to stay awake. When you're drowsy or not feeling attentive, the color red can make you more alert because it triggers that part of your brain that says "DANGER."

peril is offline Senior Member
    A complete grok fail. You should have eaten it. Law #1
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Could part of it have been how totally random it was to see it in a dvd case?

I used to catch lizards as a girl growing up in So Cal. My cousins (older boys) would shove snakes in my face and I learned that if I cooed and asked to pet it, that they'd leave me alone ... I also got over my fear of snakes.

However ... if I were to find an uninvited snake in my home (even a little, harmless garter), I would FREAK!

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    A complete grok fail. You should have eaten it. Law #1
    funny.

it makes sense that our brains are wired to be hyperalert to things that could endanger us

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Was that your first encounter with a live roach?

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    I'd seen those huge roaches at the zoo, but yeah, in terms of gross, infesting-kind of roaches I think so.

When I was very young my family was in a lower income bracket, and we moved around a lot... there could be some kind of repressed roach encounter...

Suse is offline Senior Member
    i despise them too. I sprained my ankle viciously running away from a giant one. well it was at least the size of a big mac... ok maybe not quite that big, but it was massive compared to the little ones I see around from time to time. I think it came in from the garden. scared the bejesus out of me.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Back in the day I had an extreme case of anti-acrophobia. I am over it now, thank goodness. What brought that up? Fear of roaches. Acrophobia is the fear of being high, so anti-acrophobia would be the fear of not being high. Roaches weren't that scary.

American roaches are nothing compared to those in the Caribbean. They are buzz bombers that come at you instead of run away. A small one is as big as my thumb and I am not exactly a small man.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't help that it suddenly surprised you, either. I have no problem with spiders and bees and such -- I think they're beautiful and fun to hold actually -- but if they randomly appear inside my personal space when I'm not expecting them, I definitely jump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast