Thread: Turkey "Falafel" Meatballs page

shalon is offline Junior Member

I created this rendition of falafels as I love the flavor of them but wanted to avoid the carbs from the chickpeas. I adapted the Falafel recipe from Mark Bittman. I adapted the Tahini Sauce recipe from the blog "onehotstove". The cucumber salsa is a creation of my own. I would love to hear feedback!

Turkey “Falafal” Meatballs

1 ¼ lb ground turkey

2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed

1 small onion, roughly chopped

1 tsp coriander

1 tbsp ground cumin

Pinch cayenne or more to taste

½ c chopped flat leaf parsley

½ c chopped cilantro

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 egg for coating meatballs once they are formed

Grapeseed or olive oil for sautéing

Finely shredded unsweetened coconut for coating meatballs

Tahini Sauce

Cucumber/tomato salsa

Put everything but the turkey into a food processor and pulse several times to combine ingredients. Scrape sides down as needed and pulse again. You want a fine chop, do not pulse so much that you make a paste.

Put turkey into a medium size mixing bowl. Add the contents of cuisinart into the bowl. Using hands or a spatula, thoroughly mix the contents until well combined.

(At this time you have a good amount of meat mixture to make meatballs. As it’s just me eating, I just make enough meatballs for each meal, saving the meat mixture for subsequent meals and making the meatballs at the time that I will eat them. Refrigerate or freeze remaining mixture if you have leftovers.)

Heat oil over medium or medium low heat. Be careful not to overheat the oil which would burn the coating.

Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Dip the meatballs in the egg mixture then roll in the shredded coconut to coat.

Saute meatballs until center is done, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Serve alongside Tahini sauce and cucumber salsa.

Tahini Sauce:

Whisk together ½ cup greek yogurt, ½ cup tahini, 2-3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 minced garlic clove, ½ tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp minced parsley, 2 tsp minced cilantro, 3 tbsp olive oil and salt to taste. Depending on your preference for thickness of sauce, you may want to add water or cream to make it less thick.

Makes approximately 1 ½ to 2 cups sauce.

Store remaining sauce in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Cucumber/Tomato Salsa

Serves 4

1 english cucumber, diced into 1/4 – 1/2” pieces

1 large tomato or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced into 1/2” pieces

2 thin slices onion, finely minced

¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley

Salt & pepper to taste

2 tbsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients into serving bowl and gently combine.

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed recipe Shalon. I make turkey kebabs similarly too, but I roll them into oblong shaped pieces and bake in the oven. Pairing it with Tahini sauce is a brilliant idea. OneHotStove is one of my favorite food blogs.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love you and I want you to marry me. Seriously, though - I've been craving falafel for weeks now, and I'm so close to going and getting some. I am going to make this recipe first and see if it's enough to satisfy my craving so I can avoid the carbs from the chickpeas.

Thank you so much!!!!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.