Thread: Anyone donated egg or undergone IVF? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Anyone donated egg or undergone IVF?

I am considering donating eggs, because it is good money, but I am leery of messing with my body that much. I am sure it wouldn't be primal--but I'm still drawn to it. Has anyone done this or IVF and able to share experiences/advice?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I never actually experienced these things but I had _planned_ to, so I have done a lot of reading/thinking about it... interesting topic!

For example, we were ready to start an IVF cycle as soon as my next period showed up and... it turned out I was pregnant! Very convenient. Got a $25,000 refund. I was sort of disappointed in a way because we'd also discussed doing embryo donation for any we didn't use... It really helps other infertile couples and it's cheaper for them than adoption or even using donor eggs (amazing eh??)

Years ago before I even knew I had fertility issues, I wanted to donate eggs, but was disqualified because my brother has a disability which I may or may not be a recessive carrier for.

I was most interested in egg donation because of the potential to help other women, the money was secondary. It's definitely a big thing to consider. The hormones can make you really sick and miserable for months, and the egg extraction needs to use a wide-bore needle so... ouch!

I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thread ... it's something I have considered too...
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been considering it. I definitely need the money, but I am also afraid of the hormone manipulation. Not that I should be- I'm on depo. I guess I'm afraid to go OFF depo and deal with the monthly stuff again.

Here's a sobering article... http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/442607a.html
    Looks like the jury's still out on long-term effects, but there is that Althuis study that suggests it might about double your uterine cancer risk.

And http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...888459,00.html -- you'd think with the high IVF rate they'd have plenty of data on this, as this article describes.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Lets consider also the psychological aspect of selling your ability to create life. Also the knowledge that you have a part of you out there somewhere, without any connection or bond available. Is it really a gift to someone or is it just a gift to your pocketbook-what about the child, do they have a say? A huge legal issue right now is what to do with the fertilized eggs that are on ice in clinics all over the world? If you have used IVF, and had the amount of children you wanted, but you still three or four in the freezer (since they make a bunch, because they don't always take), do you just throw them away? They are life , right? Is it murder?
    I know a couple going through hell right now, because they have 7 fertilized eggs at the clinic and they are done having kids. To throw them away would be like killing life that is frozen in time. they are not giving them away or selling them because it is there sperm and egg , therefore their children.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    The drugs you take to enable egg donation are brutal. I don't refer to the pain of the injections, though that is a consideration if you are averse to what doctors refer to as "discomfort". (I suspect that, as a healthy person following the PB, you would find the physical pains tolerable.) You'll gain weight no matter how perfectly you eat, but you'll be able to work/diet it off later. The hard part of fertility medicine is the horror the drugs bring to your psychological wellbeing. I'd had ongoing problems with depressed moods since adolescence, but nothing compared to the I-can-barely-make-myself-go-on-breathing depression that fertility meds sunk me into a few years ago.

If you have ever suffered a mood disorder I would encourage you to use *any* other route to make money. (Selling plasma twice a week is a rather easy way to generate income, though I've avoided it because I don't trust the hormone disruptors in the tubing. Obviously, you're not afraid of hormone disruptors right now if you're considering egg donation.) These drugs can drop susceptible women into a hard depression that doesn't lift for many months after the treatment/procedures are over.

If you've always had a stable mood, well, it might be an okay choice. It is lucrative and offers something dear to others. Recalling what it did to me, I wouldn't endure it again for any amount of money, but your experience could be different.

Actually Evita, there are ways to do it with varying degrees of emotional connection -- there's "open adoption" arrangements for eggs or embryos, all sorts of possibilities.

I will say that at least in my opinion, anybody planning IVF should ponder ahead of time that they're likely to end up with more embryos than they needed, and what to do with the ones still on ice. Our clinic was good because they discussed all that with us ahead of time, up to and including what we wanted to do if we got divorced, one of us died, etc.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Please do some research on this - there is the possibility of developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome with the hormones, which can be life threatening. The hormone administration can also cause liver damage. Long term risks have shown higher incidence of ovarian cancer - which is a very nasty cancer with low cure rates due to the difficulty of diagnosing it at an early stage. The long term risks are not well known or studied at this time. But you are exposing yourself to massive amounts of hormones in order to induce your ovaries to mature many eggs at once (instead of just the one or two they would normally mature each cycle). So there are short health risks (not just unpleasantness, although there is that) as well as long term.

Be well informed before deciding this is something you want to do!