Thread: More Fuel for the Veggie/Vegan Lobby page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

More Fuel for the Veggie/Vegan Lobby

Primal Fuel
    Picked up this month's Healthy mag (women's 'health' magazine produced in association with Holland & Barrett, the UK's largest 'health' food and supplement chain).

Apparently, allowing pre-elementary (3-7 year-old) girls eat any more than 8 portions of meat a week can lead to premature puberty and increase their risks of female-related cancers!

By 'premature puberty' they specified before the age of 12; well I had my first period at 10 (just before I was due to compete in a national swim comp, too! ) - guess I'm gonna die of cancer then!

I actually sent a long email to the editor, citing the CW myths from the PB preface, and providing links to relevant MDA blog entries - wonder if she'll bite...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Of course that couldn't have anything to do with the hormones and other crap in modern factory farmed meat now could it?

How about the kids who just DON'T DEVELOP AT ALL because their parents forced an unnatural vegan diet full of processed SHIT on them from birth?!?! Ugh.....

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    IIRC, this is suggested as one of the many effects of year-round late-hours artificial light in Lights Out. Maybe I've misremembered, but I shouldn't be surprised if it were.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that puberty is initiated by body weight. When it hits a certain level the brain decides it must be time and off you go. The reason puberty is beginning so early for some kids is that they're overweight....and we all know that it isn't the red meat causing that.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I think you are right on the weight bit thanatos. My friend's daughter is 12 and only weighs 28kg. (hasn't started menstruating yet although she's still young) Her mum said she does eat really well but is allergic to dairy. She is tiny and I'm always quite surprised when I see her as she looks about 9. Her mother said she thinks the 'ideal' weight for menstruation is about 40kg so realistically she might not hit that for a few more years?.....probably not a bad thing for us girls, after all the whole thing is a bit of a pain in the backside!

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    My understanding is that puberty is initiated by body weight. When it hits a certain level the brain decides it must be time and off you go. The reason puberty is beginning so early for some kids is that they're overweight....and we all know that it isn't the red meat causing that.

hmm... I dind't know that. makes definite sense though!

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Isn't there a link bewteen soy and early puberty, with soy being full of phytoestregens? There is a ton of soy in a "healthy" SAD. Not only in the prepared foods, but also in the feed given to CAFO chicken and catle.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I also got my first period when I was 10. It depends on a lot of different factors, including weight, hormones found in meat or plastics and especially in milk, the child's hormonal balance, even things like childhood trauma (which makes me wonder if it is related to cortisol). My mother didn't get her period until she was 15--she was very thin and grew up on a vegetarian grain-based diet in India. I probably ate more sugar and other shit than my mother ever did though, which probably sparked a certain hormonal profile that led to being overweight and early puberty. But other signs of puberty show up about 1-2 years before menarche, like a growing chest or faint pubic and armpit hair, as well as things like being the tallest girl in the class. I've noticed that girls going through early puberty tend to be tall for their age but end up being dwarfed by everyone later on... apparently it's because growth hormone production doesn't line up properly with bone growth, or something like that. These girls also tend to be overweight later in life (such as me!), and if there is a link between childhood trauma and early puberty, it doesn't surprise me, given that there is a huge link between childhood experiences and later quality of life.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Hm i was raised on soy formula because my mother couldnt breastfeed, i ate a portion of meat every night with 3 different coloured vegetables (very healthy upbringing because she was so guilty about not being able to breastfeed me), i wasnt allowed soda or fast food. pizza night once per month, and i only got dessert when we visited my grandmother or christmas/birthdays... and i didnt get my period til i was 14?! me thinks either the food supply here in the US is garbage or everyone is just different.
    then again when i was 10 i weighed like 30kg, and when i was 14 i weighed around 42ish.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    Hm i was raised on soy formula because my mother couldnt breastfeed, i ate a portion of meat every night with 3 different coloured vegetables (very healthy upbringing because she was so guilty about not being able to breastfeed me), i wasnt allowed soda or fast food. pizza night once per month, and i only got dessert when we visited my grandmother or christmas/birthdays... and i didnt get my period til i was 14?! me thinks either the food supply here in the US is garbage or everyone is just different.
    then again when i was 10 i weighed like 30kg, and when i was 14 i weighed around 42ish.
    That actually makes perfect sense. Yeah you had soy formula as a baby, but overall you ate good nutritious food and were not overweight. 14 seems like a more 'biologically appropriate' age for girls to start menstruating.