Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSL #3- good probiotic? page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

VSL #3- good probiotic?

Primal Fuel
    I'm looking for a heavy-duty probiotic for a slew of digestive issues I'm dealing with. A few months of Primal Defense did nothing, but I want to try again with a stronger batch of good bugs.

VSL # 3 looks pretty promising to me. Anyone have any experience using this particular probiotic?

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Anyone? Other suggestions for strong probiotics (50 billion+) are welcome too!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I've no idea on specific probiotics.

But one salutary tale about their use. My husband thought he had candida (mostly fatigue, some skin issues, minor gut issues) so he did the elimination diet and, eventually, took very strong probiotics. This triggered almost immediate gut problems which grew over months into IBS, and got steadily worse until he thought he was dying of colon cancer or something. Having eliminated that possibility, I found him a set of hypnotherapy CDs specifically for treating IBS, and they turned it all around again. We've always wondered if there was some bug in those probiotics that should not have been there, which triggered a very unhealthy flora for him. That then produced such anxiety-provoking gut symptoms that even when the flora re-balanced, he was still having problems.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Kasey is offline Member
    lizch do you remember if the product had FOS in it? Usually that can be a problem for people.

You know what is probably more effective than probiotics? Digestive enzymes taken with and between meals. Helps make sure you aren't feeding the bad bacteria undigested foods, and also will digest harmful microbes because they resemble cellulose and the enzymes will eat them up when taken away from food. You can also make fermented food for friendly bacteria.

I've been taking enzymes for a couple weeks and have noticed some serious differences in my digestion. I just read the book "Enzymes: go with your gut" It's a good read.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I was cruising the forums the other day for suggestions on this front and saw cillakat mention Garden of Life Primal Defense as a probiotic, and along with it the Garden of Life Digestive Enzymes. (both from http://iherb.com )

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember--it was probably 8 years ago. I know it had a wide range, far beyond the usual lactobacillus etc.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I was at WF and was overwhelmed by their choices of probioitcs. What brand is best?? Are more millions of strains of whatever better or worse? Should it be one that has to be refrigerated?

Jyoti is offline Junior Member
    My first plan of attack is to find out why digestion is slow and to make sure that good bacterial levels are low. I do this with a stool test.
    Many people are very surprised that they,
    1) do NOT have candida like they thought they did, and
    2) DO have other gut bugs that they didn't know they had

Gotta take care of the bugs first. That can be accomplished with a good 4-R program, but I stress "good" because not all are created equal.

Also, many times nutritional AND pharmaceutical remedies fail to eradicate these bugs because almost all gut bugs are biofilm formers, meaning that they secrete a protective slime, surround themselves with it, and simply dwell, untouchable. So you have to have a way to specifically break through biofilm.

Once that's cleared up, then you want any pro-biotic that provides a wide variety, and in sufficient amounts. Almost ALL the time, the probiotics in the health food stores just don't cut it; you often find the best results from "neutraceutical" (medical-grade nutritional supplements) that you find in the offices of medical doctors, chiropractic doctors, certified clinical nutritionists, or compounding pharmacists. Those are usually of excellent quality.

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    I don't know it this has the numbers your looking for but IMHO kefir is a great way to replace any bad bacteria in your gut. Kefir unlike yogurt can colonize yor gurt while yogurts bacteria is transient.
    If you make it at home the Kefir grains provide over 35 types of bacteria and benefitial yeasts, pluse you can use water (water grains) or coconut milk (milk grains).

Microbial Composition of Kefir at End of Fermentation [colony forming units/ml] **

Lactococci : 1,000,000,000
    Leuconostocs : 100,000,000
    Lactobacilli : 5,000,000
    Yeast : 1,000,000
    Acetobacter : 100,00

that's my two cents...

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyoti View Post
    Gotta take care of the bugs first. That can be accomplished with a good 4-R program, but I stress "good" because not all are created equal.
    Would you go more deeply into this? What is a 4-R program? I'm interested...

TIA!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast