Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help..... getting discouraged page 2

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

chocolatechip-- you sound like you're in the exact same boat as I am! I started at 120 and gained weight. Stalled at 124 - it would not budge. I too cut out the dairy - and then I cut out the fruit. Nothing would happen.

Then I figured it out. Too many nuts! I cut the nuts and dropped 2 lbs.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Chocolatechip, scale weight doesn't tell the whole story and can be very misleading. A better indication is how your clothes fit. Measuring your body fat percentage, though not as easy to do as stepping on a scale, is a better indicator of your health and fitness than a scale number.

By the way those scales that also measure body fat percentage can be wildly inaccurate.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

DaveFish, unfortunately my clothes don't fit very well That's how I even noticed that my weight was going up.

Ecala, I can't say I eat that many nuts. I'll try that approach. I do have a tablespoon of nut or seed butter every day, but not whole lot on top of that. I will have to try to take that approach and see what happens. It would be very helpful to figure finally figure out which foods my body reacts to in this way.

Griff, these are all valuable points and I will try doing that. But my whole disappointment with weight-loss alone stems from the fact that I stopped eating grains and sugars and I guess I thought just that along would help me drop some lb. Well, I ended up gaining Other than that, I feel great and not planning on going back at all.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree that it sounds like you're doing well. 1 pound per week is a very reasonable, safe rate of fat loss. Remember, it's FAT loss you're after, not WEIGHT loss. If you're losing fat but gaining muscle, your weight may not change much even though you're shrinking and getting healthier. Scrap that scale and focus on how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Suggestions:

I'm not on the fruit-is-evil bandwagon, but it does make sense to me to limit it to 1-2 pieces per day if you're trying to lose fat. (Less fruit means lower sugar/carbs, assuming you're replacing it with dietary fat or protein.)

Also, add in some strength training if it's safe for you to do so. You'll be amazed how your metabolism races as you build muscle. Bodyweight training is great: a few pushups, some squats, lunges, pulldowns, etc. Just do what you can manage. If you can only do two "girly" pushups in a set to start with, that's perfectly fine. Just keep doing them, and within a few months you'll be banging out 15 full pushups and looking hot!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Record you food intake. You don't know what you are doing until you do that.

Certainly nothing wrong with 1.5 pounds a week! Especially if you aren't fat to begin with.

Ditch the fruit. Even a plum a day sort of killed any weight loss for me. It's the sugars, especially any fructose.

Don't over exercise. (A common theme for not getting results.) You body will keep the fat in reserves and make you eat more.

Your mileage may vary from mine, but those are my hard earned lessons. I've lost 45 pounds since the end of April. Now seeing 238, 239 on the scale. Woo hoo!

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, 45 pounds is awesome. You should post your pics on the before and after pictures thread.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I think I've gotta knock off the almonds and pine nuts. My weight has stalled again.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

@maba The only pics I have are generic family snapshots from whenever. No new ones to date. Someday I will, though.

@chocolatechip, that's a lot of calories if you are trying to lose weight. It's what I eat, and unless you are 240 pounds, that's a lot. Did I mention that's a lot? Try to keep the carbs under 25, ditch those high calorie nuts. Also that's a lot of fruit and berries for weight loss. When I ate fruit, no weight loss. There is a LOT of sugar in there, and although the fiber helps slow the process, there is still some pretty good, I mean bad, insulin response taking place. Insulin is not your friend.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I still can't wrap my head around this though. I used to eat cereal for breakfast every single day, take under 35 g of fat, eat tons of fruit and dairy and be at 120lb, but now that I cut all the bad stuff out I'm actually gaining. I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to understand.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

chocolatechip6,

You sure you're not gaining muscle?

You could theoretically (even if you're not working out much) be resetting your hormonal levels and having a higher protein intake.

That may naturally increase your lean muscle without you doing much exercise.

Another theory to throw into the pile,

-Sean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast