Thread: New to the workouts, have a few questions page

splunky is offline Senior Member

New to the workouts, have a few questions

I have read the bk, and Mark's general guidelines for the routine, but I see so many of you doing alot more. Is this because you have a higher fitness level already? My fitness levl is pretty low, I am recovering from a severe illness of 3 1/2 yrs.

I am wanting to start the sprints, but would prefer not to be on the road. The cars go crazy and it's on a pretty big incline. This might sound silly, but, is it ok to start out running on uneven turf, like my back yard? I have a long stretch of mowed grass that would work perfect, but truthfully, I am afraid of falling or rolling my ankle. Are these unnecassry fears?

Also, I do karate 2x/wk. It gets my HR up pretty quick, but it's not a huge workout. Can/should I do other forms of exercise on these days? Is it better to have rest days or to have it spread out to do something most days?

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I do sprints either on grass at the park, football field or the track at the school. No matter where you do them there is always some risk of rolling an ankle. If you have a big enough yard....I am very jealous.

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    I have read the bk, and Mark's general guidelines for the routine, but I see so many of you doing alot more. Is this because you have a higher fitness level already? My fitness levl is pretty low, I am recovering from a severe illness of 3 1/2 yrs.

I am wanting to start the sprints, but would prefer not to be on the road. The cars go crazy and it's on a pretty big incline. This might sound silly, but, is it ok to start out running on uneven turf, like my back yard? I have a long stretch of mowed grass that would work perfect, but truthfully, I am afraid of falling or rolling my ankle. Are these unnecassry fears?

Also, I do karate 2x/wk. It gets my HR up pretty quick, but it's not a huge workout. Can/should I do other forms of exercise on these days? Is it better to have rest days or to have it spread out to do something most days?
    IMO, do what feels right for you, there is no rush or time frame. Take it one step at a time. Start slow and build up. Use your karate training to build flexibility and joint stability as well as balance; to help guard against ankle rolls etc. Utilize your kata and practice them with a focus on strengthening the joints and becoming pliable. If you know advanced kata there are usually jumps and drops etc.
    Over the years I have found that sometimes you have to be inventive in training or make due with what you have. Sprints are great but I think the short burst of intensity is what is important as well as full body involvement. Going all out peddling a stationary bike for the amount of time it would take to run a sprint would amount to a good substitute IMO. If you could pump your arms at the same time that would be great.
    Ease into whatever you do.