Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold All the Time page

JenCat is offline Senior Member

Cold All the Time

Primal Fuel
    As the temps are dropping, I'm really dreading this winter. I am cold (really, really cold) almost all of the time. I'm 40 year old, and have been this way for several years. I'm fine in the summer during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down, I have to grab a sweatshirt. I can barely stand to be outside with the kids. Inside, it's not much better, even with a fire. The only time I'm warm is when I'm sleeping. Then I'm often too warm. I don't think it's menopause (I've always been this way). I do take iodine supplements; I was hoping that would help, but no luck. I'm not underweight and have a decent amount of muscle. My blood pressure is typically 120/60. I don't think that's low enough to cause the cold feeling. Any thoughts or suggestions?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? What about hemoglobin, hematocrit, ferritin?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well my first thought on this would be "thyroid"... but that may be because I'm hypothyroid! But... one test you can do is take your temperature when you first wake up (before you get out of bed). Keep track of those for several days. Those of us with metabolic issues (in other words our metabolisms are SLOW), tend to be cold more often or even most of the time. If you're getting temp readings in the a.m. that are lower... 96-97, then that will tell you where your metabolism is running.

You may want to check out about.com on thyroid and google Mary Shomon, or go to stop the thyroid madness .com and take a look at the symptoms of thyroid problems and see if anything rings a bell.

Issues with adrenals and pituitary (I think) can also cause lower body temp, and I'm sure there are other things as well.

I'd also be careful of iodine supplements. If you DO have a thyroid issue and it happens to be hashimoto's thyroiditis (which the vast majority of thyroid sufferers have), too much iodine can actually make your symptoms worse. Iodine should only really be taken after your levels are measured to see if it's needed.

In the meantime, do warm liquids warm you up? I can't usually get warm with sweaters and stuff, but a warm cup of tea can REALLY help. Just a suggestion...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Another hypothyroid piping up to get it checked. Out of curiosity, what's your body fat%? If it's relatively low, tht can do it too.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Thanks for the quick responses. I will check my temp in the morning for the next few days. Hot tea does help me warm up, more so than standing in front of the fire. My BF is around 19% or so. I haven't checked it in a while. I was, at one time, diagnosed with low thyroid. It was borderline, but the medication didn't really help. I eventually quit taking it. The cold is just SO unpleasant! I hate it!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    That's a low body fat percentage for a woman, actually, unless she's an athlete. That explains a chunk of it right there. You don't have as much insulation as most folks. And the thyroid med itself may've been the wrong type. Run the temp checks and see how it goes.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    T I was, at one time, diagnosed with low thyroid. It was borderline, but the medication didn't really help. I eventually quit taking it.
    What does the bold sentence mean? Did you stop taking the medication with your doctor's permission? How long ago did you stop?

I don't remember what the exact numbers were, but it was low-normal. This was probably 3 years ago. I have had any blood work since then. I just gradually stopped taking the meds.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    I don't remember what the exact numbers were, but it was low-normal. This was probably 3 years ago. I have had any blood work since then. I just gradually stopped taking the meds.
    Do your fingers/toes look white - and are they numb/tingly? If so, I would suspect Raynaud's Syndrome - my late maternal grandfather suffered from it acutely in the winter (and he looked emaciated; he said it was down to the time he spent in a PoW camp). My mother does too, to a lesser extent (it can be hereditary.)

Just a thought.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, I don't think it's that. My fingers and toes aren't white. I don't think my hands and feet are any colder than the rest of me. And I forgot to check my temp this morning! Darn it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast