Thread: Lunch with the Health Department page

Piscator is offline Senior Member

Lunch with the Health Department

Primal Fuel
    I went to a local deli for lunch last Friday and noticed three women from the county health department also enjoying lunch there. I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the "Public Health" labels on their shirts as none of the three was less than 100 pounds overweight. One even had a patch which read "I got my flu-shot".

Wow, the picture of health!
    Last edited by Piscator; 11-02-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling error

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah - I'd get a similar feeling when I'd take my sister lunch at the hospital where she worked. I'd go through the ambulance bays and there would always be a couple nurses and a doctor or two out there smoking. Then I'd get inside and in the break room would be trays of baked, sugary, fatty treats. Bleah...

carlh is offline Senior Member
    The unfortunate reality of the hectic health and government jobs is these poor people genuinely trying to help as many people as possible just get burnt out. Sugary treats are quick, easy, relatively cheap and provide emotional support. Same as with the stereotype of cops and donuts. I don't think they're remotely aware of the irony...it's just the easiest option.

I'd like to see Jamie Oliver do a food revolution series for the service industry.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The unfortunate reality of the hectic health and government jobs is these poor people genuinely trying to help as many people as possible just get burnt out. Sugary treats are quick, easy, relatively cheap and provide emotional support. Same as with the stereotype of cops and donuts. I don't think they're remotely aware of the irony...it's just the easiest option.

I'd like to see Jamie Oliver do a food revolution series for the service industry.
    And those of us with non-government jobs don't ever get burned out? Sorry, I fail to feel sympathy for these 'poor' government workers.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll give you one (and I SWEAR I'm not making this up_. There's a nurse I know of who runs both the local NHS Quit group (she smokes at least 40 a day) and is on their anti-obesity team (she's twice my size easy!)

It beggars belief, it really does! What were her managers thinking...? Maybe they thought it'd persuade her to quit and lose at least 25% of herself!
    La tristesse durera toujours...