Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I say to inform people why I don't eat gluten? page

arghmateys Guest

Shop Now

All of the information that denounces gluten that I have researched on the internet is long-winded and extremely, biologically technical. My verbal communication skills are unexceptional, so when people ask me why I don't eat gluten, I cannot muster much other than "It's bad for you." As for why, I could only reference them to a website, but not actually be able to accurately explain it myself.

Is there a concise bit of information that I can divulge to people that I want to encourage to go gluten-free or to explain why I don't eat gluten, or should I just take lots of notes and practice a script?

maba is offline Senior Member

I have the same predicament too. You could tell them you're intolerant of gluten. If they ask you why you don't eat grains, you could tell them you have blood glucose issues if you don't want to go into all the details.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

"I don't consider X a food, but rather a neolithic agent of disease."

arghmateys Guest

Well, maba, that could work to make them stop pestering me, but I would be more than happy to help inform them why I made the choice to go gluten-free so they can consider the choice for themselves.

That's a good one, frogfarm; though, other than gluten-intolerance, I don't know what I'd say if they asked, "Like what?!"

I wonder if someone could direct me to an article that describes what happens when someone consumes gluten in layman terms?

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

My script is similar to this...

Dementia, heart disease and cancer all run in my family and in all my research this is the only way I've found to reasonably reduce that risk.

Harder to attack you on those points...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You don't need to preach or convert, just tell them you have celiac disease.

End of story. If you want to play nutritional evangelist, just like the religious ones, they probably don't want to hear about it. Nor should they have to.

grandma is offline Member

Sean,

In my experience, that is how the trouble starts. Mention heart disease and meat eating and the saturated fat arguments come out.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Nick Guest

Grains evolved to distribute their seeds on the wind, not via animals eating them (as fruits evolved for) and distributing them elsewhere. Neglecting the fact that it's very difficult for a human in the wild to obtain adequate calories from wild unharvested grains, grains have essentially evolved into a package of animal-targeted pesticides. (there's your concise bit)

They have amylase inhibitors to keep you from breaking down the starch.

They have protease inhibitors to keep you from breaking down their protein for dietary reasons, but also so that the lectins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin) and gliadins (including gluten, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliadin) can make it into your bloodstream intact (human digestive systems generally have a healthy policy of only absorbing proteins after their disassembly into amino acids -- this prevents things like mad cow and horrible allergic reactions, which is what coeliac basically is -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gliadin_antibodies).

Once they're in your bloodstream, proteins like wheat germ agglutinin screw up your metabolism by binding readily to all kinds of hormone receptors (most notably leptin and insulin), and even crossing the blood brain barrier. WGA isn't even animal specific, it kills fungus that attacks wheat too: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1609769

Oh, you DIDN'T want long winded and technical. Damnit.

Just tell them that wheat is like Terro ant poison, but for humans -- the ants think it's just tasty syrup, but it's laced with borax and kills them.

grandma is offline Member

Nick,

Maybe the short answer is, by design (or natural selection) grains are indigestible.

I was googling around this topic (indigestible grains) and found a article that studied the effectiveness of reestablishing pasture land by allowing cows to feed on grass which had gone to seed and then putting them on the land to be replanted. Apparently it is pretty effective and inexpensive.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

[quote]

I would be more than happy to help inform them why I made the choice to go gluten-free so they can consider the choice for themselves.</blockquote>

You could simply state that your well-being has improved 1000% since giving it the boot, so you have zero interest in reintroducing the miscreant into your diet.

That will plant the seed of doubt (about consuming gluten) without your needing to preach. The masses always want to know some "secret" to more energy and feeling better (because CW sure isn&#39;t working).

If they are curious, they&#39;ll start asking you questions and/or will hit the internet. You could probably say a lot about your personal improvements spontaneously, vs. trying to respond with memorized scientific data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast