Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies Start Here: Primer to the Primal Blueprint Lifestyle page 20

Fisherlassie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hello! I have been maintaining a 90 lb loss over the last year, eating more or less primally. Or at least my interpretation of Primal ; ) I find it interesting to see how differently people interpret the information! I'm wondering are there any other people who think of this as being about vegetables as opposed to meat? I eat either eggs or meat or fish sometimes cheese or yogurt at every meal but the bulk of what I eat at very meal is vegetables, even breakfast. I don't really eat low carb because I eat so many vegetables! Lots of fiber!! I would really like to connect with other people who have a similar philosophy. I am a sugar addict so I try to avoid it all together except what is in vegetables and berries. (I don't even eat all those yummy desserts with dates because it is just too much sugar for me)And I don't do grains or potatoes. I might eat a sweet potato if I were pressed but not regularly. I have tried going without dairy these last couple of weeks and I don't like it! Dairy doesn't bother me so I had some today and unless I find I am gaining fat I think I will continue eating it. I do go out to the pub on occasion and have a Yorkshire pudding I consider this the 80/20 bit.

I love what Mark says about working out so he can play!! I have been doing stronglifts, running/walking, aikido (taking a break for now though) and recently at 51 I have started to long board! I even did a cartwheel for the first time in 30 years! Being strong is good!! I still have a fair bit of fat floating around on my body but if I never lost another pound or another inch that would be fine. I don't hurt anywhere as much as I used to and I can play in ways I thought were impossible for me at this age! Hurray for the new life!

Celainemccoy is offline Junior Member
    Hi and congrats on the 90lb loss! How long did it take you to reach that goal? I've got about 70 to go (at least). I do interpret it the same way you do and tend to have my plates be 75% vegetables and 25% meat. I get lots of healthy fats from avocado, coconut oil and ghee and I do tend to eat a lot of fish and eggs. I really think it's about listening to your body. My hubby tends to need more meat so again, just personal preference. That's amazing about the cartwheels, I'm 37 so you have definitely inspired me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Celainemccoy View Post
    Hi and congrats on the 90lb loss! How long did it take you to reach that goal? I've got about 70 to go (at least). I do interpret it the same way you do and tend to have my plates be 75% vegetables and 25% meat. I get lots of healthy fats from avocado, coconut oil and ghee and I do tend to eat a lot of fish and eggs. I really think it's about listening to your body. My hubby tends to need more meat so again, just personal preference. That's amazing about the cartwheels, I'm 37 so you have definitely inspired me :-)
    I am about the same with the 25 percent meat. It took about a year to lose 100 pounds and then I gained about 10 and I have been hovering. I have been using Myfitnesspal to log my food and exercise and it says that I tend to eat about 50 percent fat more or less and that comes from avocados, olive oil, almonds, as well as the meat and dairy including butter. I have used coconut oil but I actually like to eat the coconut! I am addicted to almond butter mixed with vanilla and cocoa (kind of like a rum ball except I eat it with a spoon) and sometimes I eat it with coconut.

My husband eats more of a conventional diet. He loves peanut butter and refuses to accept any philosophy that suggests that it is bad! He does eat good peanut butter though so it is understandable!

What do you like to do for fun Celaine?

Celainemccoy is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, the peanut butter can be a hard one to kick. I'm just getting accustomed to almond butter and sunflower seed butter. I'll have to try your treat idea once I've been off the treats for a while. I'm staying off chocolate and too many fruits for at least 90 days attempting to recover from sugar addiction. I find when I eat too much sugary foods, even if in the forms of fruits, honey or chocolate I have anxiety. For fun we spend a ton of time outdoors, I love to go camping. I've just joined up a gym and am looking forward to yoga. I really want to learn to paddle board and I'm hoping that's something I get to do next summer when I am less heavy. We are just heading into fall here so we will be enjoying snow very soon. Going to get some snowshoes and give that a try!

ExerciseFanatika is offline Junior Member
    As a Brand-Newbie, I have a silly question: How can I get my picture I uploaded to be my icon instead of the blank head shape that appears in place of an avatar? I don't mean the Junior Member icon of the Grok. I mean that totally-generic-head-and-shoulders thing. Did I miss something whilst setting up my profile? Thanks.

ExerciseFanatika is offline Junior Member
    Hi, Fisherlassie. Congratulations on your transformative weight loss! But: I'm jealous you can eat that! I'm currently on an 800-calorie-a-day severely restricted diet and am still gaining weight at a frightening pace. Yesterday my cardiologist said, "I don't care if you're only taking in 500-800 calories a day; if you're fat, and you certainly are, YOU ARE EATING MORE THAN YOUR BODY NEEDS!" I'm deeply ashamed to say he reduced me to tears of shame and self-hate. Then I got over it. I said to myself, "It's finally time for Extreme Fasting!"

I've only done water fasts for up to 11 days before, and ended up quitting because I fainted repeatedly, plus the meds I'm on started taxing my liver and kidneys to the danger point. But I want to do a 50-day starvation fast. But I need to do this without accidentally killing myself in the process.

Medicated almost to death by the appalling psychiatric industry (I have PTSD from extreme abuse from infancy thru until 2009), I have gone from a lean, mean, hiking, bouldering, climbing, vibrantly active BMI 18 (that's not underweight for me; the BMI scale is too general and I'm very Ectomorphic) to a lethargic, disgusting, depressed BMI of 27 (horrors! Adjusted for me that's 30: OBESE!) with: PAT, MVP, asthma, high cholesterol, thyroid trouble, "the Change," Reynaud's, advanced arthritis, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, epilepsy (partly from the beatings, 25 concussions and a subdural hematoma), a MENSA-level IQ I'm only really starting to use at age FIFTY, and a host of Gastro issues too disgusting to mention that do include a brush with Adenocarcinoma, the same cancer that killed my Dad at the end of 2010; he died in my arms. My Mom had died of pancreatic cancer the previous year. Yes, I'm depressed. And I'm also FAT. VERY fat.

I told my cardiologist that I keep fainting from hunger when I'm working or exercising. Steely-eyed, he looked at me and said, "It doesn't come from the air, honey. You're obese, so either you move more or eat less: PERIOD. THERE IS NO OTHER ANSWER." He's RIGHT.

The only thing left is total starvation and extreme exercise. I'm totally up for it! As soon as my endocrinologist clears me (he did my thyroid biopsy and it's not cancer, just pre-cancer, so no surgery, and all levels are NORMAL!), I'm going to stop eating altogether. I will have to stay hydrated so my kidneys don't fail like they almost did on a few of my past fasts. I never made it past 30 days and that time it was after jaw surgery and on Ensure! Of course, I wasn't fat then.......

Oh, how desperately I wish I could work out like you do! Sounds so much FUN! I adore exercise. I did five miles last night. Woo Hoo. The WIMP WALK. It was just uphill hiking with an 18-pound pack, using my cane to help; like I say, just silly wimpy kid stuff. I pushed until I couldn't breathe, then pushed beyond it. Big deal. I'm on a Holter-Monitor just now for my heart. I wanted to show that cardiologist that this old wreck isn't quite over with YET.

But I used to do eight miles of hiking and lots of good hard climbing a day every day. Never missed a day. And occasional hikes up to 35 miles with only one or two 10-minute rest periods and no food. It was PARADISE. Like FLYING, soaring in my Soul. Then I was forced to quit it all, because first my weight suddenly dropped from a healthy 116 to a sickly 88. I was threatened with hospitalization and intravenous feeding. My late Dad (a fanatical lifelong athlete who took Third Place in a Biathelon with 6 months left to live, in agony & riddled through with cancer, at 77) would sneak me out for a little light approach-climbing now & then. Nowadays if I tried those hills we climbed, I'd drop dead, literally. Sad.

Then, after 8 years spent getting my weight back up to 109, I was allowed to work out again, but I'd totally lost my edge. And I'd aged greatly. I ended up in crippling pain and found out I had advanced arthritis and much more. I was put on Lyrica and gained 75 pounds in about 10 months! I lost about 20 but it crept back; I'm only down 10 from that max weight now. And still on Lyrica. That teensy workout last night has me in so much pain I'm gritting my teeth. How can I have fallen so far?

I believe my prodigious weight is making it much worse now. I'd go on a complete fast using only water, no vitamins, for about 50 days. If I could be sure it wouldn't kill me; that's totally not the idea!

I need to lose 40 pounds. Since eating salad, Luna bars, etc. at up to 800 calories a day is still "more than your body needs" as my Doc said, the only possible answer is fasting and heavy, intense, daily exercise. I've been reading avidly about it, total fasting, combined with really punishing, Marine-style high-impact workouts (my rheumatologist has absolutely, categorically forbidden them, saying that over the decades of my life my obsession with doing them has caused massive joint and connective tissue damage, but I simply cannot resist them; for just awhile, as I'm pushing the limits of my endurance to the breaking point, I actually feel HAPPY!), and I desperately want this fat OFF of me. I'm buried alive in it!

I wonder: what is the possible compromise? Could I one day enjoy the type of diet you have (which appeals to me) and even better, the exercises? I'm only looking To & Fro for ideas; ultimately I will compile the data I accumulate and take it to my docs and ask them, "Well, how about it?"

Exercise fanatika

I am not in favour of fasting or low calorie diets because I think it messes with your metabolism. I think it would be better to eat a reasonable amount of food, I ate at least 1200 calories plus exercise calories when I first started and had a lot to lose. I made sure that the food I ate was very dense nutritionally, no crap, Primal Blueprint style. I wanted to lose fat not muscle and I wanted to increase my health not decrease it. With the calories that low there is no room for sweets of any kind even "paleo/primal sweets". My sweets included 1 cup of dark berries every day and that was it. I weighed and recorded everything I ate and my activity in myfitnesspal. I think your doctor is irresponsible for suggesting you fast. I think you should gradually increase your workouts as your fitness improves. This all or nothing mentality is likely to lead to injuries. You sound like a sensible person. I think you recognize that long fasts are unhealthy and dangerous. I think you need to take a long term "change my life" sort of attitude rather than the lose weight fast mentality which is going to lead to losing muscle and other important tissue as well and cause a lot of stress for your body.

Briana is offline Junior Member
    Hello all!
    I am Briana and I am 21 years of age. I have always had a weight problem, I have been on the 17 day diet for about a year now and it was time for something new. I have been primal before when my girlfriends family made the change, but fell off the ban wagon after about 6 months. They had huge success, and after seeing that I have decided to try it again. I work for the Forest Service in my small home town in Colorado with 10 hours of hiking and lots of carrying heavy thing and swinging tools. the weight did not slide off like I thought it would over the summer so i needed to change my eating I have been primal for 2 weeks why I have been off due to the government shut down and I have lost 5 pounds and feeling great about it. Can't wait to see more to come off before I go back to school in January.
    Stay primal my friends.

sra1984 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExerciseFanatika View Post

I wonder: what is the possible compromise? Could I one day enjoy the type of diet you have (which appeals to me) and even better, the exercises? I'm only looking To & Fro for ideas; ultimately I will compile the data I accumulate and take it to my docs and ask them, "Well, how about it?"
    I wonder if you would not be better off doing some sort of water exercise to build up your strength again. It would be lower impact on your body and would still get you a quality workout. Sorry to hear about your weight gain (I didn't gain my weight in quite that way, but I did pack on 100 pounds or so in the course of one year back when I was in elementary school- are you surprised that I am still trying to lose it? ), but I doubt that fasting for 50 days is the answer. Actually, to me it sounds like a good way to do more damage.

When I started out on primal/paleo eating I was eating about 800 to 900 calories a day only because I couldn't figure out how to fit enough protein into my diet. As soon as I fixed that, I was able to sustain about 1100 or 1200 calories a day and I am still losing inches and weight. More than anything these past few weeks, I have learned that the quality of food and the ratios of macro-nutrients in those foods matter a great deal. So maybe if you just changed your diet up to include a little bit more protein, less convenience/processed kinds of food that would help you in the long run?

I don't know, but the idea of a 50 day fast would scare me to my core. In fact it does. Besides, I think if you starve yourself of food for that long, I wonder if you would just be more likely to gain it all back even quicker than you put it on in the first place. So, that's what my inexperienced mind is telling me you should do- try to include more protein in your diet, less carbs, a reasonable amount of good fat and less processed stuff/grains/sugar. If you can combine that with some water exercises you might be able to start shedding pounds with relative ease. I know when I made the switch it just happened.

Good luck!
    Stephanie
    "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

PrimeNewbie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello!
    I am new to the Paleo/Primal diet and lifestyle. I have been following it for the last 3 months, however I am not losing weight?
    I am a healthy 23 year old female. I thought that by cutting out bread, pasta, rice, etc. and eating more vegetables and healthy fats would naturally make me lose the weight, but I have not lost anything. I am eating quite a lot of nuts and diary on the diet, possibly too much, but I am finding I need it as I am no longer eating the processed grains. I still figure nuts and diary are a lot healthier than the alternative. I would love some advice on how to lose the kg's and also how to curb my nut and diary intake?

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast