Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight stabilization - your experience? page

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member

Weight stabilization - your experience?

The back story: 52 y.o. male 5'8" in good shape. Generally pretty good diet for past several years with an atkins-like effort 5 yrs ago to lose a bit of weight around the middle. That got me to ~160 pounds, that then crept up to ~165. This past August I went pretty straight Primal BP - both fitness and diet; the most significant changes were ditching all grain and changing my exercise from chronic cardio to pretty nicely aligned with PB (though I could be more assiduous in my lifting heavy things intensity and frequency).

My weight has dropped steadily and now is 148 pounds (easily lowest since I was in high school), which is lower than my initial goal of 153-155. I am eating fruit to my hearts content and lots of veggies. My physique is looking good and I am feeling good.

But I am wondering, when will the weight stabilize?

Any of you experiences would be beneficial.

Thanks,
    One Delta Ten Tango

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that's great progress. We are similar in size. I started out the year around 174, and in pretty good shape. I am now at 157, and leaner than I have ever been on a 5'9" frame. I wouldn't mind shedding a little more fat to finally have some abs show through. I hope to get there slowly but surely.

As far as your weight stabilizing, you probably just need to eat a little more. Sounds like your metabolism is very active, so you probably just need more fuel.

What fruits and veggies do you enjoy, and how much are you eating each day?

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I am seeing similar results. I was sitting at around 180 - 185 lbs and was losing inches. Now my weight has slowly dropped to below 180lbs with little change in diet or exercise. I eat plenty of PB calories you can ask my wife. She sees me stuff my face and can't believe I don't gain a pound. I am 6'1" and have never been this size in my life. Not only am I thin but I am fitter then ever in my life. I can bust out a dozen pull ups, do 100 push ups at a time, 15 pistols on each leg, and my max reps on HSPUs is 3. I used to run a lot but I have stopped except for the periodic sprints but I can still run a sub 22min 5k. Sorry I have gotten a little off track but I wanted to qualify that even though I am still losing weight that it hasn't affected my fitness level. I am still waiting to see where my weight ends up.

peril is offline Senior Member
    So long as you're getting the calories and nuturents you need your weight will find its level. Every time I've changed my diet its found a new level
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Wow, that's great progress. We are similar in size. I started out the year around 174, and in pretty good shape. I am now at 157, and leaner than I have ever been on a 5'9" frame. I wouldn't mind shedding a little more fat to finally have some abs show through. I hope to get there slowly but surely.

As far as your weight stabilizing, you probably just need to eat a little more. Sounds like your metabolism is very active, so you probably just need more fuel.

What fruits and veggies do you enjoy, and how much are you eating each day?
    Thanks. Actually not super high metabolism. I have a tendency to put a little weight on if not careful, at least in a CW diet context. As far as fruits and veggies, very wide variety, at least for an Anchorage resident. Generally we get pretty decent organic apples, bananas, strawberries, and plums. Throw in some pears, other berries (esp wild in late summer). Also, tomatoes and avocados, both of which qulaify as fruit in some books. For veggies, lots of salads, lots of stuff like onions, spinach, chard, etc sauteed in omlettes. Then brocolli, cauliflour, cabbage, etc. increasingly in coconut milk/curry dishes. I'm making myself hungry now...

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    So long as you're getting the calories and nuturents you need your weight will find its level. Every time I've changed my diet its found a new level
    So you are in the "your wieght will level itself out at the right place" school vs. "eat more or less to get to the level you want" school.

I think I am getting appropriate ratios, calories, nutrients and like the notion of not worrying and letting things level where they want.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You're weight won't "stabilize" as long as you're eating in a caloric deficit mode. Too few calories for the body's energy expenditure will result in weight loss.

I've recently lost a great deal of weight and have been playing around with how best to 'maintain.' I gain easily, so I certainly can't eat 'freely,' so I'm using my 'weight loss mode' and gradually adding calories until I stop losing. Unlike some, I don't plan to introduce dairy or fruit; I like my WOE, but whether it's different foods or simply more food, it's a tricky thing for some of us to find the right balance.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    While given that you don't change your food intake your weight will eventual stabilize somewhere you can do a lot to find the weight that is most comfortable for you. Personally, I've found that I am not a fan of having excess pudge on me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    You're weight won't "stabilize" as long as you're eating in a caloric deficit mode. Too few calories for the body's energy expenditure will result in weight loss.
    Sure doesn't feel like it is that simple. Although I don't track calories or anything carefully, I don't feel like I have reduced calories. I have reduced exercise volume significantly and switched to PB fitness guidance, though to be honest have not been as good about Lifting heavy things. So I don't feel like I have been operating in calorie deficit - either from the intake or expenditure side of the equation.

One Delta Ten Tango

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    While given that you don't change your food intake your weight will eventual stabilize somewhere you can do a lot to find the weight that is most comfortable for you. Personally, I've found that I am not a fan of having excess pudge on me anymore.
    Agreed on the pudge factor. I have always had some since I was a kid and got teased for having to buy "husky" pants. I am now at a weight lower than I thought reaslistically possible. A part of me wonders what I would look /feel like if I dropped another few pounds and couple of points of body fat. Luckily not obsessed about it. I would be more than elated to stay exactly where I am weight-wise for the rest of my life. Which is wild for someone who has always had a slightly pudgy body image (even as the world around me pudged out even more).

One Delta Ten Tango

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast