Thread: How Long page

labeak is offline Junior Member

How Long

Been on PB for almost a month now and some measurable changes. Gut is gone (went from 175 to 165 lbs) sleeping better, less trouble with BPH symptoms, better digestion. I think I am pretty much past the whole "carb flu" thing, too, although I still have times when energy seems a little low. Questions: Is there any consensus about how long it takes to change things on the cellular level? To turn off the bad genes and turn on the good ones?

Should I continue to see other improvements as the weeks go into months on the low-carb high-fat regimen, or have I pretty much gotten about all there is to get?

How careful are you guys out there about measuring the exact amounts of nutrients you take in? How many fat grams and all that? I don't want to lose any more weight, but I want to be sure I am not costing myself energy by not getting enough of something or another.

Research and anectotal evidence will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Labeak

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    First - congratulations on those changes!

Questions: Is there any consensus about how long it takes to change things on the cellular level? To turn off the bad genes and turn on the good ones?
    I'd be amazed if there were consensus about how long it takes - I should think the time it takes to change is a deeply individual thing, probably depending in part on how old you are and how messed-up it all was to start with.

Should I continue to see other improvements as the weeks go into months on the low-carb high-fat regimen, or have I pretty much gotten about all there is to get?
    Personally I was 'healthy' by normal standards to begin with (though obese), and I've seen changes continuing slowly over the course of 8 months so far - the fastest weight loss was naturally at the beginning (still going, though!), and there were plenty of unexpected bonuses over the first month or two. But there's still the occasional thing showing up - I can do a push-up or two now, for instance, despite having done zero exercise except a bit of cycling for months. And a bruise-like mark that had been on my ankle for years has finally completely disappeared. And the pimply skin on my upper arms is finally clearing. And I think my hair's improving. That kind of thing...

So I expect you'll continue to see improvements in energy, general health and unrelated things that you'd thought were just 'how it is' or 'just ageing'.

How careful are you guys out there about measuring the exact amounts of nutrients you take in? How many fat grams and all that? I don't want to lose any more weight, but I want to be sure I am not costing myself energy by not getting enough of something or another.
    Not remotely careful; now I know what is and isn't food (something I had a lot of misconceptions about before...), I just trust my appetite and eat whatever I feel like from a whole range of beautiful foods (including oily fish, shellfish, organ meats and bone broths as well as a whole spectrum of vegetables & fruits). I reckon that if I were missing anything vital, I'd see symptoms soon enough - you know, like people get night cramps if they're missing a mineral or two. I'm still losing weight slowly, without trying, which suits me nicely as there's still some flab I don't mind losing; I assume that when my body's found its own right weight it'll settle there. It has its own intelligence, which is designed to manage nutrition in a way that the brain between my ears really isn't.

labeak is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks.