Thread: Red Palm Oil page

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Red Palm Oil

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone use red palm oil regularly? If so, how? And, did you notice any health changes?

I bought some yesterday, and I think it tastes ok. I have read several articles about the health benefits and wondered if it would be worth incorporating into my diet.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Isn't palm oil pretty controversial because of how destructive it is to the environment and animal species where it is harvested? Or am I thinking of something else?

Also, I've been googling it and all i see it being used for is biodiesel and food additives... I would love to see some of these articles you've read so I can stop reading all this industry fluff crap.

Indiana Joan is offline Junior Member
    Red palm oil is often used for frying foods. I've used it but I don't like the taste. I don't know anything about the harvesting methods of palm oils.

Spectrum makes an organic shortening from palm oil that I have also used. It doesn't have the taste of the red palm oil.
    Go beyond where they tell you that you should not go
    and you will see what you did not see before.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Palm oil is used extensively in West Africa (where I am right now), both in stews and to fry things. From what I read, heard and experienced, palm oil is:

- Harvested from cultivated palms, not from rainforest wild palms. The environmental impact is not different from that of other crops.
    - Primarily used to produce non-food items, such as soap and cosmetics.
    - Stable at temperature, therefore ideal to fry things.
    - A Healthy fat (in the paleo sense).
    - Not particularly good tasting (although the same could be said about, for eg., olive oil) if taken in isolation.

The ideal combo is:

Fish fried in palm oil. The fish lacks the fat which the palm oil provides = win! I had exactly that for lunch. People are surprised when I specifically order palm oil, as other vegetable oils (such as soybean or sunflower) are usually preferred by foreigners, and perceived as better by all.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    Palm oil is used extensively in West Africa (where I am right now), both in stews and to fry things. From what I read, heard and experienced, palm oil is:

- Harvested from cultivated palms, not from rainforest wild palms. The environmental impact is not different from that of other crops.

Bull. Palm oil is devastating large parts of this world, particularly in South East Asia. Did you know how many orangutans there are left on Earth? Fewer than 60,000. If deforestation continues at the present rate, they could be extinct before I'm 40.

The orang-utan is endangered because of habitat loss. Today the greatest threat to orang-utan habitat is the continued expansion of oil-palm plantations. Palm oil is the greatest enemy of orang-utan and their continued survival in the wild."
    Professor Biruté Galdikas, Orangutan Foundation International

The rate of loss of orang-utan has never been greater than in the last three years, and oil-palm plantations take the brunt of the blame.”
    Dr Willie Smits, Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation’s Founder/Chairman

So what was it you were saying again...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Palm oil sourced from West Africa is never going to endanger any orang-utans! That's like saying fishing for cod in the North Sea will threaten penguins.

I use red palm oil from Ghana. It is very good for frying and adds a delightful yellow colour to food. It has a high smoke point. It does have a distinctive flavour, but I find it is another flavour to use in my cooking. I make curries and casseroles and stir fry vegetables using a number of different fats, which I choose for flavour - ghee, virgin coconut oil, red palm oil, olive oil and rendered animal fat. When doing several dishes for a meal it is good to use different oils in each to provide contrasting flavours.

Can't say I've noticed any specific health benefits, but my Ghanain friend tells me it is good for the eyes and heart
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine