Thread: Water Kefir page

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

Water Kefir

Primal Fuel
    I'm looking for a way to get natural probiotics and I didn't want to deal with buying milk for milk kefir. I ordered some water kefir grains that I know you feed with sugar. I was under the impression that the grains used up most of the sugar but is this the case? Does anyone know about how much sugar will be found in kefir brewed after 2 days or so? Will adding fruit for flavor increase the sugar content a lot? Is this something I should be leary of or is it nothing to worry about with the benefits outweighing the costs?

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    We have been making it for two years now. You can control the amount of sugar by the recipe.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, the bacteria break the disaccharide down and use the glucose, but leave the fructose. Of course, that was just this guy:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

So take with a kefir grain .

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering about this too. I just got some water kefir grains, am hoping it'll help with ongoing gut healing issues due to me being ill with gluten intolerance/ celiac for years.

I'd really like to know more about how to minimise the sugar. The instructions I got with mine just say 40g of sugar in 400ml of mineral water. I heard you can use coconut water but I don't want to kill my kefir!

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Try inner-eco, a coconut water kefir. I find it at Whole Foods, in the refrigerated oils section, packaged in amber glass bottle. Tasty, living food probiotic with 1 gram carbs per 1 oz. serving. No reason you couldn't make your own using coconut water. I have no idea if you would need to add sugar. This stuff (inner-eco) lists ingredients as "fresh harvested young green coconut water & dairy-free kefir cultures." That's it. No mention of sugar.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks. I am in the UK so can't get that. I can get coconut water locally though. I think I am going to wait until my kefir culture has grown so I can take some of the extra and try it with coconut water. Then if it doesn't work out I won't have killed the whole lot!